SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funny phrase mix-ups that foreigners say
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny phrase mix-ups that foreigners say Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
All this talk about phrases you like or annoy got me to thinking about funny things that foreigners say. My wife is Brazilian and over the past 11 years I've hears some real whoppers.

"Are you drinking bananas?" Translation: Are you kidding me? Probably a mix-up of "What are you drinking?" and "You're going bananas."

"Whatever rocks your boat." Mix- up of "Whatever floats your boat." and "Don't rock the boat."

"Pearl Harbor." She meant safe harbor.

"I'm not as close as monkey." This one took me a while to figure out. We were talking about her OCD tendencies and she meant to say "I'm not as bad as Monk."

"I tried on some shorts but I didn't like the semen." Uh, what exactly were you doing in the dressing room?

Her: "Maybe while we're here, we can get some hookers." (We were in Target and the strip club was across the street)
Me: "Um, excuse me? We're Christians, you know..."
Her: "You know, hookers, to hang our robes on the bathroom door..."
Me: "Oh, you mean hooks!"
Her: "Yeah, hookers! Isn't that what they're called?"

And for the grand finale-
She had nose surgery once to clear a blockage. I told her that in American slang she had a "nose job." She had stints in her nose that were causing her head to hurt really bad. Given this new found information about nose jobs, she assumed that since she wished she could get her whole head fixed, she said "My head hurts so bad. I really need a head job!"

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Chinese people will say "eat medicine" instead of take medicine because that's the way it is in Chinese.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Spanish speakers: "Toe fingers" instead of toes. It's the literal translation for them, but it gets me every time I hear it! Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I think I have gotten my French wife to avoid the use of a certain synonym for a cat.

We have 13 of them at present.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Meeting a family from the UK while camping we found it amusing that when getting ready to swim in the lake, they were going to put on their swimming costumes.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I think I have gotten my French wife to avoid the use of a certain synonym for a cat.

We have 13 of them at present.

Man, that's a lotta......(French synonym for cat).

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
A friend's Japanese mother says "towel papers" instead of paper towels. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Another one that is especially fun in Charlotte with a high population of 黑人 is their pause word. It varies depending on accent, but sounds like nayga or naga. It can also sound like nigga. So you see people get offended when Chinese speaking exchange students are talking.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I heard two separate Russian people in the late eighties/early 90's say:

'The Lincoln Town Car. I had that one. It was sorry piece of vehicle.'

and

'I am so angry, I am standing here beside myself!'

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
25 years ago I was dating a Persian woman who would later be my wife. One day, out of the blue, she called me her "apple plumbing" when she was meaning to say "apple dumpling".

I still give her shit about that to this day! Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2046 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Friend: Time to get back on the whores

This took me a minute as the context was my friend was ready to start dating again after a long-term relationship ended. My friend doesn't date whores (amateur or professional).

Me: I think you meant horse

Friend: <<strange facial expression>> Horse doesn't make any sense

Me: You got bucked off the proverbial horse, you've dusted yourself off, and you're ready to get back on.

Friend: <<light bulb goes on>>

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23197 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was working in a German Gasthaus in Germany on an Army cooks exchange program and the chef/owner was trying to explain some recipe that called for "Megnut" Big Grin she was trying to say "Nutmeg" which in German is called "Muscatnuss"

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were in Prague a few years ago and had a really early flight out the day we left. We were setting up an early taxi with the front desk girl. As we were confirming everything her words af assurance that our 4:30 am taxi would be there were "Don't perspirate it" Meaning "don't sweat it".

I waited until I got to the elevator to chuckle about that one.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
One of the germans here was upset and asked the guy "do you want me to put your ass on my foot?"

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I had a colleague of Indian extraction who sometimes mixed up or combined American expressions with humorous results.

By far, the funniest was when he described a crafty female manager. He said "She always has an ace up the hole."

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2076 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
While in Croatia I had someone ask me if I "rape my potato", turns out she meant "wrap my potato" before cooking it. The Brit expression that always makes me chuckle is when they say, "Will you knock me up the next time you visit". Of course they mean knock on my office door the next time you visit, not,er, ah the other thing.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This Italian guy I used to work with would ask me to "remember me to do.." such and such but he meant "remind me to"...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
A friend's Japanese mother says "towel papers" instead of paper towels. Smile

My wife, who is not Japanese, says the same thing.

When I work with offshore developers of Indian descent, the phrase "Please do the needful" comes up regularly when they are asking me to do something for them like give them access to a projects source code.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
In grad school, a French rugby fan came running out of the building after watching a World Cup match saying, "We beat the Blacks! We beat the Blacks!"

The "Blacks" in this case being the New Zealand All Blacks, the country's international rugby team.

I had to explain why shouting "We beat the Blacks" might not be the best thing to say in Cincinnati....

And, while not necessarily a mixed up phrase, the most hilarious miscommunication I've ever seen came in grad school. There was a Welsh visiting scholar named Siriol. One of the Greek grad students sent around an email asking something about giving Cereal a ride. There was much perplexity.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
A Vietnamese coworker wanted to go to Rusty Scraper (Scupper) for lunch. When our software was not working, he said it was hosted (hosed). We used his terms from then on.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post