SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funny phrase mix-ups that foreigners say
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny phrase mix-ups that foreigners say Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We hosted an exchange student from Spain. His English was good if you spoke clearly and avoided slang expressions.

On a hike to a mountain swimming hole, I told my son to warn him about the poison ivy we knew grew in the area.

The exchange approached me looking worried and asked, "What is that plant that will make you crazy and kill you?"

I asked my son, "What did you tell him?"

My son replied "I said if he messed with those plants he would itch like crazy and wish he was dead!"

Close enough.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Classic from the movie Speed Zone

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Os1QiglVQ

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
My ex's stepfather worked all over the world as a petroleum geologist. In Norway, after my MIL gave one of his local coworkers a lift someplace, the guy told him "I rode your wife. She is very nice."

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Romanian colleague asked me if I would "Bring it here the hammer."

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In the Southwest it was pretty common to hear Spanglish. And the pronouncing of words with some creativity.

Calling a chain a "shain" was one. Saying Chevrolet using "Chev" instead of "Shev" the other that sticks out.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I gave a humorous speech at our Toastmasters club using all the silly words we Texans use. The words and phrases were like "fixin to"' "yont to", "aight" and such. One club member asked me to repeat the talk for a club made up of women from all over the world whose husbands were involved in the petroleum industry.
With a couple of dozen words and phrases printed on cards, I explained that by using our favorite truncated words we were saving time and doing our part to reduce global warming.
Everyone seemed to enjoy and understand my silly little presentation except one little lady who was taking notes while I spoke. When I was finished, she came up to me and with a heavy accent said, "I am from Russia and I have two teenage daughters. I am so glad you speaks with us today. Now, I know what my daughters are saying."

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Calling a chain a "shain" was one. Saying Chevrolet using "Chev" instead of "Shev" the other that sticks out.

Jeys.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
A Romanian colleague asked me if I would "Bring it here the hammer."

Reminds me of some of the Quebecois to English translation funnies we get to hear in northern New England. My favorite is "Throw me down the staircase my shoes".

Skidoos are made by Bombardier in Quebec. A sticker with this wording was next to the shift lever on several of our sleds at work, "Stop completely the vehicle before using reverse gear".

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post