SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We are currently experiencing heat lightning/intercloud lightning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are currently experiencing heat lightning/intercloud lightning Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
This has been going on for over 30 mins, its the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. We had some slid looking thunderstorms roll by 5-10 miles to the north and were under severe thunderstorm warnings. Those are past, the rain has stopped. There is a constant roar (like high wind, but it is still outside). In the sky, the clouds are flashing like a strobe light. You cannot see any individual lightning bolts though. Its almost like the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds. No tornadoes on radar.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Sounds awesome.

Pics or it didn't happen!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
We happened to be caught on a camping trip when I first saw heat-lighting. I was in Boy Scouts as a teenager. Trying to sleep, middle of the night, and just like you describe it - almost constant flashes, almost constant low rumbles, then an occasional BRIGHT flash and huge crack over us.

I think several of the other kids were just annoyed. I thought it was the coolest damned thing ever! haven't ever seen it since.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I took a video on my phone from inside, I should have gone outside. It didn't turn out that great because the light differential kept messing it up. This is the closest Youtube video to the intensity of it, only it was almost directly on top of us instead of off in the distance. You could not see any individual bolts.

Someone else's heat lightning

I remember going to a backyard party in high school and there was heat lightning off in the distance. It was like that scene in Saving Private Ryan where there is bombing or artillery going off on the horizon. No sound.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it lasted three hours last night,
looked like 600 people above the clouds ,turning the lights off and on

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Between 3pm to 8 pm daily, June 1 to Mid August its a daily event here...

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Johnston area here, and that was one of the coolest displays of weather I've experienced. The lightning was amazing and I sat on the couch and watched the entire thing upstairs while everyone slept.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
My grandparents, parents, etc. used to call it heat lightning but then I found out that heat lightning is just lightning that is far enough away that you can't hear the thunder.

When I would spend my summers on my grandparents farm on the DelMarVa peninsula, used to see this all the time in the summer down there. Used to get some really wicked storms.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
...but then I found out that heat lightning is just lightning that is far enough away that you can't hear the thunder...

This.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I took a video on my phone from inside, I should have gone outside. It didn't turn out that great because the light differential kept messing it up. This is the closest Youtube video to the intensity of it, only it was almost directly on top of us instead of off in the distance. You could not see any individual bolts.

Someone else's heat lightning

I remember going to a backyard party in high school and there was heat lightning off in the distance. It was like that scene in Saving Private Ryan where there is bombing or artillery going off on the horizon. No sound.

Sounds like cloud-to-cloud lightening.

Cloud to cloud (CC) and intra-cloud (IC)

Lightning discharges may occur between areas of cloud without contacting the ground. When it occurs between two separate clouds it is known as inter-cloud lightning, and when it occurs between areas of differing electric potential within a single cloud it is known as intra-cloud lightning. Intra-cloud lightning is the most frequently occurring type.

Intra-cloud lightning most commonly occurs between the upper anvil portion and lower reaches of a given thunderstorm. This lightning can sometimes be observed at great distances at night as so-called "heat lightning". In such instances, the observer may see only a flash of light without hearing any thunder.

Another term used for cloud–cloud or cloud–cloud–ground lightning is "Anvil Crawler", due to the habit of charge, typically originating beneath or within the anvil and scrambling through the upper cloud layers of a thunderstorm, often generating dramatic multiple branch strokes. These are usually seen as a thunderstorm passes over the observer or begins to decay. The most vivid crawler behavior occurs in well developed thunderstorms that feature extensive rear anvil shearing.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the lightning went on for 45 min or so after the rain quit here. Very unusual. My daughter and her 3 girls are staying with us while their house in KC is being built. They have been in Victoria, BC for last 4 years. 6 year old grandaughter had really never seen lightning before (they don't get it on the island there). She was very intrigued but a little scared also.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Always fun to watch in the summer time. Remember being with friends from California in college that had never experienced it before. They were absolutely amazed.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
In my area, south-Central-Va, we have had more thunder and electrical storms this year, that the past 3 years combined.

One storm a month ago, lightning struck some friends old farm home (not occupied), burnt to the ground.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post