SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aprilaire 600 Series Humidifier Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aprilaire 600 Series Humidifier Question Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
We had an Aprilaire 600 series whole house humidifier installed in December 2016. The control began to flash to change the pad, size #35. I let it go for a few months because it was summer and we were bypassing the humidifier at that time. I changed it about a month or so ago and the control is still flashing that the pad needs to be changed. Is there something I have to reset? Also, it doesn't seem to be functioning properly, humidity today inside is only 27% and its typically 45%. Any ideas?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
Does it look like this one?

I've been wanting to get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqS4JtNXpY

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Depending on outside temps, you probably can’t put enough water in the air right now to get it up to 45% - you’d have condensation all over the windows.

I don’t have that Aprilaire, but have another, and was on their page looking up other controls...

Top of page 7 - “After the water panel is replaced, turn the control knob to the Test/Reset” position until the green “Humidifier
On” light flashes, to reset the water panel change timer.

https://www.aprilaire.com/docs...0m-owners-manual.pdf

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
On this topic, is this the best humidifier one can buy for their furnace? I'd like to get a new one and want the best.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I just installed the Aprilaire 400, that is "drainless" since I have a crawlspace with no drain. The smart controller does a really nice job.

Yeah, the correct way to "reset" the filter change is shown above, turning the knob to test/reset.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I did some poking around and got the control to reset. Humidity is now at 30% and the unit appears to be functioning OK. I pulled the filter and tubing out water is definitely getting to the unit. It has been bitterly cold the past few days with temps near zero for much of the day.

The unit itself is nice, but the guy who put it in strung the electrical wire and tubing like a freaking spider.

BTW...if you need FILTERS go to www.FastFilter.com for some pretty cheap prices for all household type filters: furnace, humidifiers, pool, fridge, water, etc.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
On this topic, is this the best humidifier one can buy for their furnace? I'd like to get a new one and want the best.

Yes, Aprilaire is the leader when it comes to humidifiers.

The 500 is for smaller homes (12 gal/day), the 600 is for larger homes (17 gal/day). Both units have a 6" bypass duct connection. The 500 will take care of most homes, the 600 is $30 more.

Make sure you get the automatic control instead of the manual.

Reliable source:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ap...Automatic-Humidistat

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ap...Automatic-Humidistat

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
EM, thanks for the info! Is this something a homeowner can install, or should a pro do it (with warrantee)?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We had a pro install ours cost a little less going with a different company or the scheduling was more convenient if something. When it came time to turn the AC on in the summer, it wasn't cooling, so we called a different company and they said the other company botched the wiring and it never humidified all the prior winter and now your AC condenser isn't running. They fixed it for free so I didn't have to call the other company to yell at them. Last year it then ran fine and I had to dial it back when it got cold or my windows condense bad and I worry about damaging the house. This year it seems to be running weird and I think it has something to do with our basement finish project last year, dust in the ducts and all that. Lesson is, go with a pro you trust.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're mechanical and handy with tools, DIY.

Follow instructions and it'll be pretty easy.

You can always e-mail me, if you need help.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I have one of their smaller “whole home” models that does this. With it, if you unplug it from the power it will reset it. It’s an annoyance, but putting a new pad in there, just means that after about 30 hours it starts whining again. I’m not going to change that pad every other day, so I ignore it. Otherwise works fine.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
Yes - Turn control knob to zero / off, wait a couple of seconds and turn the knob all the way to the right - test/reset - sometimes there is a slight detent you have to overcome if the control unit is new. The green light will eventually flash [usually after a 3-5 seconds].

Then move knob to desired setting - Replace filter light should not be flashing.

I have two of these units and have to periodically reset them.

The colder it is outside the lower you will want to set the knob - there are ideal setting tables for relative humidity based on outside temp available on the net.

Good luck!

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post