SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Management Database application development
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Management Database application development Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
The thread about the need for a good gun tracking database inspired me to start writing such an application.

I will gladly consider any and all feature requests.

I will keep the forum posted of progress.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is awesome, would it be able to be used on a smartphone?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
This is awesome, would it be able to be used on a smartphone?

For now, my plan is to release it as a Windows desktop app.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Cool, I'll be watching.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested. Keep us posted.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Please include the ability to include photographs and accessories used with each item (optics, mags, etc.). There are those here who would also benefit from an ammunition and reloading components inventory system.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Please include the ability to include photographs.

Definitely!

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt you will do a first class job.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where's Fry's. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! meme?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What are you going to build your app in?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
What are you going to build your app in?

I'll use VisualStudio to write a C# WinForm app. Unless there's interest in a web application, but I feel most gun owners would prefer to keep data about their guns off the internet.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Will there be a Mac version?

I am in the process of making a DB app for my small equipment rental business.

FileMaker will produce an app that can run on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, . . .

I did development in a UNIX environment, much coding in C, for many years, starting at Bell Labs back in the 1980s. Also many years teaching this stuff. I could do my project in C, but FileMaker is faster, and is more like "one stop shopping" in terms of the finished product running in different environments (Mac, Windows, iThigs).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'll use VisualStudio to write a C# WinForm app. Unless there's interest in a web application, but I feel most gun owners would prefer to keep data about their guns off the internet.

Do you intend to release your code? I use GitKraken for personal apps I write so I have access to them from anywhere. If you want testing or opinions shoot me an email.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Member exx1976 built a reloading supply app. He no longer posts but information about his app should be available.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
For my usage, a sub-classification of each firearm to list accessories (like red dot, laser, etc.) with cost date acquired, mfg. would be nice.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Sounds fantastic! Is that something you should patent, if possible? I imagine there is a good market for such an app. I think you can copyright the code, as well.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm sure something like this could never get hacked. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
For my usage, a sub-classification of each firearm to list accessories (like red dot, laser, etc.) with cost date acquired, mfg. would be nice.

That's a good idea. The problem is those accessories may move from gun to gun, right? Would it be better to have an accessories list not tied to a weapon?

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:

That's a good idea. The problem is those accessories may move from gun to gun, right? Would it be better to have an accessories list not tied to a weapon?
Yep. Separate table for accessories would be better. Maybe add a field to that table that performs a lookup of the "Firearms" Table "Make/Model" field, and load the results into a drop down box for a field on the Accessories table called "Installed On". Cross reference that way. Just a thought.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hi 4x5, I was wondering if you ever completed this project?

If so, and you are willing to share, I'd love to have a copy.

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post