SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harbor Freight cordless grinder advice needed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harbor Freight cordless grinder advice needed. Login/Join 
posted
I have a tiny job nowhere near a plugin I'd like a cordless grinder for. I'm a proponent of buying good tools, but the price for a good cordless grinder is too much for my near single use. Anyone try the new Harbor Freight cordless Chinese wonder?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my real tools and I have my Harbor Freight tools. Both serve a purpose.

If I know I'm going to use it for one job or two, I'll pick up something from Harbor Freight (like a pneumatic roofing nailer). If it's something I'll be using on a regular basis, I'll spend the money on a higher line tool (I have a bunch of Milwaukee 12V and 18V tools).

When I was racing, I would bring whatever specialty tools I might need and my Harbor Freight tools hand tools. My good tools would stay in the shop.

For a small job and/or limited use, Harbor Freight stuff can come in pretty handy.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just consider the HF tool as the rental you don't have to return Big Grin

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are saying, but you may find an angle grinder to be much more useful than you think.

I have the DeWalt 20v and use it all the time for everything from cutting metal to sharpening mower blades.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree with MNSIG above.. you'd be surprised once you get a tool how it will be needed afterwards....
A cordless right angle grinder with a thin cutting blade will cut just about anything faster than just about any other tool... wire, cable, steel, locks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxX_hnCz6G0

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you might be able to rent a great one for the same price for the day.

some of H.F.s tools have good warranties,
maybe ask them about it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Do you already own a cordless set up, such as a drill and impact set. If so, look at that brand for a grinder and buy it sans battery, a bit cheaper, and use the batteries and charger you already have on hand. This is the route I took, already owning the Bosch set with two extra batteries.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It should be fine for the job. I generally stay away from their power tools but I've heard good things about their 20V line. Personally, I have a mix of Porter Cable, Bosch, and Makita for power tools.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post