SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bluetooth Headphone Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluetooth Headphone Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
I'm on a quest for new bluetooth headphones. The driver is I'm upgrading to the iPhone X, so no 3.5mm port. I think I'm kind of a headphone snob, and I've come to the conclusion that there are three mutually exclusive uses for headsets: 1) phone calls; 2) music; and 3) gym. Anything designed for one fails miserably at the others.

I've gone the cheap route (Taotronics, others), and have come to the conclusion that I might as well throw them away as soon as I get them, as they are terrible.

Main uses would be listening to music/movies and phone calls. Criteria include:

• Stereo (both ears)
  • Bluetooth
  • Charges via a standard port (i.e., microUSB)
  • Noise canceling (on phone calls)
  • Microphone (i.e., outgoing phone call usage)
  • Not too bulky
  • Gym-usable
  • ETA: Amazon Prime (would like them by Tuesday)

What thinks the hive?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
i have the Bose Soundlinks; they fit all your requirements except for the noise cancellation, although they do block outside noise fairly well.
To get the cancellation you'd need the QC35's.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally use the Apple AirPods for movie watching on my iPad or listening to music while working out (indoor cycling is what I do for working out). It would check off everything on your list except for noise cancelling and Amazon Prime. Although if you have an Apple store nearby you could probably pick them up today. Apple’s shipping is usually pretty quick regardless.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
These. I love them. I got them originally for working out because I just got sick of the crap music the gym kept playing. They work great.

TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones, Sweatproof Wireless In Ear Earbuds, Sports Magnetic Earphones with Built in Mic (IPX5 Waterproof, aptX Stereo, 7 Hours Playtime, CVC 6.0 Noise Cancelling Microphone) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y...cp_taa_WHDeAb74T0X06

ETA: Though apparently you don't like that brand. Too bad. They have been fantastic for me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
i have the Bose Soundlinks; they fit all your requirements except for the noise cancellation, although they do block outside noise fairly well.
To get the cancellation you'd need the QC35's.

+1. Use them for calls and the gym

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
These bose soundsports are what I use, the are good for the gym and phone calls and are amazon prime and on sale today.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-So...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I currently have two bluetooth headsets. The Beat Solo 3's and the Bose QC-35's. I much prefer bluetooth sets because I have too much trouble when tethered to an iPhone via wires. For me though I have an iPhone 6S which is capable of wired headsets I just prefer wireless. I lean more towards to Bose for sound quality and comfort. I purchased the Beats first and was fine with them for listening and moving about the house, they have exceptional signal strength and range. I had the phone in the bedroom while in the pool out back cleaning and sweeping walls. The signal was crystal clean and when somebody would activate the wireless Ring Doorbell it would send and alert perfectly to the sets. To recieve an incoming phone call you just push the button on the ear cup and go. Great signal throughout the house with no interference whatsoever. They are however on the ear sets, whereas the Bose are over the ear and I much prefer that as they do a better job of blocking unwanted noises and are much more comfortable wearing for extended use. Additionally the Bose have volume up/down buttons located on the right cup for sounds and switching to accept any incoming phone calls. The Bose do not have the range the Beats did, and I did pick up slight signal interferrence when I opened up the refrigerator door and around my electric breaker panel. Not a deal breaker but just an observation. Ultimately, I like the Bose for comfort, more control of the sound...I like the volume controls on the cup. I think I much prefer an over the ear phones for sound environment, plus the Bose noise canceling works fantastic. When the lawn crew was cutting the grass, I didn't even know they were cutting until I removed the Headsets and heard the mowers. Noise canceling at it's best. I've used the sets via a wired connection with my iPhone 6S and without via the Bluetooth, I've gotta say, if there's any degradation in sound quality, I can't notice any. I believe that perhaps the Beat Solo 3's have an Apple chip that works directly with the iPhones which may explain the great signal strength with crisp, clear sound at greater distances and no interferrence from any appliances or electrical box. Both are well constructed and and comfortable ear cushioning. I did just purchase an iPhone "X" but have yet to set up the headsets for a listen but, I'd expect about the same quality of sound. Over all, IMO the Bose QC-35's slightly edge out the Beats mostly because for my tastes, I like having a tad more control over song operations and volume, plus I personally like the over-the-ear cups. Additionally, I've still yet to recharge either headsets so I can at least say they both have good battery life. Just a quick plug in the ear phones and they charge the same way that the phones do. Though I cannot recollect how long they had to charge the first time as I'm not sure how much of a charge either sets came with, but the Beats have a rapid charge cycle. Finally, both sets sit firmly on the head and don't seem to feel as if they are slipping forwards or off, the grips are firm but not too tight.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
LG 850 waterproof.

Amazon Prime is where I got mine.

I have been known to kill other LG headphones due to sweating in them.

I can get about eight hours play time with these.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-El...=8-3&keywords=lg+850 and they have them in pink for you too. Razz

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I like my Jaybird X2s. I think they are on X3s now.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have the non-noise-cancelling versions of these, and think they are great for the gym; they can be used for phone calls; and they are expensive ($300). The ones I have are $50 cheaper, but I already had noise-cancelling phones, both over-the-ear (which I no longer use much as they are bulkier to carry on a plane) and in-the-ear Bose wired phones.

Amazon: Bose QC30

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have tried lots of different ones and by far the Airpods are the best. The charging via micro usb is the main issue with your criteria. The airpods last me 3 days with the charging case and I understand that the new ones will have with Qi charging like the X. If you are going iPhone X the airpods are a no-brainer. As for phone calls the airpods are universally regarded as the clearest sounding due to the fact that they each have their own microphone. I routinely use mine while driving at highway speeds with the top down and no one ever has a issue hearing me clearly. The ability to use one at a time Is also very helpful to prese e battery life if need be.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
For workouts I use the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. They sound great and no complaints about the call quality either. What I like about them (and others don't) is that they don't fill your ear canal, so you can still hear ambient noise. Good for outdoor workouts, probably not for the gym.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add, as far as any kind of battery indicator, the Beats have a small group of led lights that indicate charge level, and the Bose, when you switch them on a voice will activate telling you the battery percent charge remaining. Both so far have exceptional battery charge lengths. I think I may have charged both only once since purchase and days/hours of usage vary with use. I used the Bose for several hours, sometimes falling asleep with them on and not needing another charge for a week or so from what I remember. The Beats just have a power button and 4 or 5 small led battery charge indicators and the Bose has on/off power button and volume up/down and music track advance buttons on the right ear cup in addition to a voice that tells you the remaining battery charge percentage.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks all so far.

So I have problems with the in-ear ones. They generally don't stay in, at least not the earbud type. I have a set of wire-around-the-ear earbuds that work OK. Those Bose SoundSports look like they might work - I have a pair of the Taotronics (the ones Balze linked to), and they fit and stay in, but the outgoing phone sound quality is lousy.

I like the sound quality of over-the-ear, but not the bulk, particularly when traveling.

As for pink, I'm sure my step-daughter would appreciate that!

From your suggestions so far, I'm inclined toward either the Plantronics BackBeat or the Bose SoundSports. Thanks for all the feedback!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the hose QC35’s. Great headphones, I wear and use mine every day. I do work out on them occasionally. The earbuds will or fall out...ever. The neckband on them will interfere with back squats and front squats or any sort of barbell work that uses the front rack positions.

The one issue that I have had is that the rubber coating on the neck strap has separated on the two previous pair I had. The good news is that Bose swapped them out with new ones without any hassle. I am on my third set in 11 months. I think the heat of Summer contributed to this. I left my first pair on my car seat in June and that’s when it separated. The second pair separated in September

The sound quality is very good. The noise cancelling is excellent. I use them in my gym and it really blocks out the gym’s music. The noise canceling has actually gotten better as Bose has come out with software updates for the headphones.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried a lot of the cheapies and you really do get what you pay for. Currently I’ve got a set of Bose Soundsport Pulse, and a pair of AirPods. The Bose are kind of bulky and cumbersome to get into your ears but they sound great. The AirPods sound okay and are really easy to insert and remove from the ears, they’re also very easy to carry when you’re not using them. All that said; I use the AirPods a LOT more than I use the Bose.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bose QC-35's. I use them everyday on my elliptical. I love them and they stay charged for 20 hours or so. Great product!!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the big Bose sealed phones. Sounded great but sweat like a pig under them at the gym. Next up were the in the ear with the short wire between, don't recall the brand but were forever coming loose when getting caught in my tee shirt and didn't sound so great either. I think they were Beats. I finally got a pair of AirPods. Best ever. Sound good and no cord between to get caught on Nautilus pads. I have he'd no issues with irritation like the ones with the silicon seals and haven't had any sweat in the ear canal syndrome.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have nice headphones but I can't help loving my AirPods. They sound decent and connect every time. They are connect every time, last for hours on a charge, you can charge them 4 times with the case and they are well made.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post