SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looks Like the Thunderbirds are Down One Plane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks Like the Thunderbirds are Down One Plane Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Is that a JATO pod slung underneath?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top Pic: Was the plane headed L/R, R/L, Top/Down, Down/Top?

I'm not sure - I tried to find enough pics and look at the map of Dayton International, but there wasn't enough for be to piece it together.

Also with the rain, it doesn't seem like people were video recording the event (which is typical in the days leading up to an airshow).

My 'guess' is after they left the pavement, the nose gear dug into the ground, causing the plane to swerve, then pivot around and flip as shown - with the nose gear likely snapping off at some point.

My other guess is the plane had to be going >15 kts when it occurred, otherwise it would have just dug into the ground and stopped nose first.

Just my semi-educated guess on the subject.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Is that a JATO pod slung underneath?
Nah, fuel tank or fancy luggage pod.

The Thunderchickens don't use JATO and they bring most of their luggage on a removable wing pod.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for explaining what it was, but why would it still be slung the day before the actual air show, especially if they're practicing at the time of the incident?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for explaining what it was, but why would it still be slung the day before the actual air show, especially if they're practicing at the time of the incident?

They'd probably just leave it on the bird since those tanks are usually stored in a ground cradle to keep it from rolling around the flight line, getting scratched up, etc.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That's two T-birds lost due at accidents in a little over a year. Last year, right after the USAF Academy graduation, a T-bird crashed while on landing approach. That was due to a faulty throttle device (the pilot accidentally killed the power despite an interlock that should have prevented it - the interlock failed).

Glad everybody is safe. That could have gotten REALLY ugly. I'll be interested in seeing how this actually happened. 11-17 MPH gusts should be pretty much insignificant for an F-16, IMO. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They typically don't use he 2-seaters for the demo.

When they go up for these kind of VIP / incentive flights with a media / tech, it's usually just a good deal fly around flight, not actual air show practice - especially considering the weather at the time (rain, overcast). They may have had the MX guy in the back for technical reasons or just a good deal ride along, but it wasn't a practice flight.

And it doesn't take long to remove a tank - the hardest part is ensuring it's defueled, but it's not a long process if they were going to fly that plane during the actual demo or have it as a backup / spare.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Glad everybody is safe. That could have gotten REALLY ugly. I'll be interested in seeing how this actually happened. 11-17 MPH gusts should be pretty much insignificant for an F-16, IMO. . .
I'd venture a guess that it was more the runway / taxiway surface conditions, coupled with a mechanical issue (anti-skid failure, brake failure, NWS failure), pilot error (landing too fast, taxiing too fast), or a combination of all three conditions. A crosswind landing may have taken the pilot's attention and he landed long and fast maybe.

I've seen the results of Hornets, Rhinos, and Tomcats going mudding and it's always those 3 things. Thankfully I've never been IN one while doing that.

Lots of maybes, but its in that ballpark IMO.

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:Lots of maybes, but its in that ballpark IMO.

Concur, RHINO. At first I thought it might be the result of attempting to aero-brake in gusty/crosswind conditions but now think it might be a taxiway excursion due to speed, wet conditions and maybe a mechanical failure on top of it all. Either way, those two are VERY lucky to end up alive and mostly uninjured.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
That's two T-birds lost due at accidents in a little over a year. Last year, right after the USAF Academy graduation, a T-bird crashed while on landing approach. That was due to a faulty throttle device (the pilot accidentally killed the power despite an interlock that should have prevented it - the interlock failed).

These guys use the oldest planes we have running. Im surprised we dont have more issues with them.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I guess there are three kinds of pilots of retractable gear aircraft, those who have landed with the gear up, those who have yet to, and those who took gear up landing way too literally.

Glad the people in the plane were ok.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
For those with lingering questions about this incident, there is a member who once watched someone fly an F-16 simulator years ago, and now considers himself an expert on all things related to F-16s. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to explain everything. Wink

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
from CNN: "The pilot, Capt. Erik Gonsalves, and Technical Sgt. Kenneth Cordova were conducting a familiarization flight for the Dayton Air Show, said Thunderbirds commander Lt. Col. Jason Heard."

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
those who took gear up landing way too literally.

Funny thing is I know a guy who flipped a Hornet on landing, something was jacked up and the nose gear caught a field arresting wire, flipped it completely over. Cracked the canopy but he was able to scamper out, unscathed - well aside from his pride. Wink

It was quite a sight to see at work, a F18 on its back with its legs in the air.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
those who took gear up landing way too literally.

Funny thing is I know a guy who flipped a Hornet on landing, something was jacked up and the nose gear caught a field arresting wire, flipped it completely over. Cracked the canopy but he was able to scamper out, unscathed - well aside from his pride. Wink

It was quite a sight to see at work, a F18 on its back with its legs in the air.
Did someone yell "deadbug," right before he touched down. Wink

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post