SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    911 caller: 'I have my gun. Do I need to shoot him?' about suspect who ran over mourners at graveside funeral
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

911 caller: 'I have my gun. Do I need to shoot him?' about suspect who ran over mourners at graveside funeral Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
http://www.wistv.com/story/360...at-graveside-funeral

911 caller: 'I have my gun. Do I need to shoot him?' about suspect who ran over mourners at graveside funeral

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -
One of the 911 callers who was at Greenlawn Memorial Park when a man drove his car through a mourning family offered to stop the man with her own weapon, according to recordings obtained by WIS.

The caller, who is not identified, called 911 to report the July 19 incident at the graveside funeral of Margaret Livingston. In the call, she reports that a person, later identified as James Kester, 64, drove through the mourners, injuring 12.

After reading the license plate number to the dispatcher, she asks, "I have my gun - do you want me to shoot him?"

"No, you can't shoot him, ma'am," the dispatcher replies, relatively shocked.

The call continues as the dispatcher gathers more information. A total of seven calls were made in regard to this incident.

Sources close to the investigation said there was a woman attending the funeral did have their weapon and went to get it shortly after Kester's attack. It is unclear if they are the same people.

Columbia Police Department investigators say Kester's motive was a longstanding grudge against the Department of Mental Health.

He's been charged with 12 counts of attempted murder.

He remains in the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center on a $5 million bond.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
911 caller: 'I have my gun. Do I need to shoot him?' about suspect who ran over mourners at graveside funeral
911 Operator: "Can you determine if he has dementia, or if he's just an asshole? If he's an asshole, go ahead and shoot him."

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
For the record, we can't give anyone permission to shoot anyone in any circumstances.

As the old adage goes, "tis better to seek forgiveness than ask permission"
Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sources close to the investigation said there was a woman attending the funeral did have their weapon and went to get it shortly after Kester's attack. It is unclear if they are the same people. It is unclear if they are the same people.

Ugh, I'm getting so fed up with this type of garbage grammar nowadays. If I wrote a paragraph like that in my high school AP English class, I would've been sent home with a failing grade.

And ignoring all the other garbled mess, my biggest pet peeve is what I bolded. Their weapon? No, it's her weapon. Goodness...

And now I apologize for that thread drifting rant.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
As the old adage goes, "tis better to seek forgiveness than ask permission"
Verily

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Is there some link between the funeral party and the "Department of Mental Health"?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Sources close to the investigation said there was a woman attending the funeral did have their weapon and went to get it shortly after Kester's attack. It is unclear if they are the same people. It is unclear if they are the same people.
Ugh, I'm getting so fed up with this type of garbage grammar nowadays. If I wrote a paragraph like that in my high school AP English class, I would've been sent home with a failing grade.

And ignoring all the other garbled mess, my biggest pet peeve is what I bolded. Their weapon? No, it's her weapon. Goodness.
Yes, it is irritating. Written by a professional journalist -- professional only in the sense that s/he gets paid for the work.

A product of the modern "education" system.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

And ignoring all the other garbled mess, my biggest pet peeve is what I bolded. Their weapon? No, it's her weapon. Goodness.
Yes, it is irritating. Written by a professional journalist -- professional only in the sense that s/he gets paid for the work.

A product of the modern "education" system.
Agree. In fact, it makes the sentence confusing to read. Well, more confusing. The whole thing reads like shit. Citing "sources close to the investigation" is hysterical over-writing. Can't the author just say "police" or whatever?

Now, if the gender of the person who went to get the weapon was not know, "their" would be acceptable according to the AP Style Guide.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Side note: Who the hell totes a gun and doesn't know when it is and isn't OK to shoot somebody?

There are whole organizations dedicated to providing legal classes and training for exactly that sort of thing. US Law Shield comes to mind.

FFS. "Do you want me to shoot him?" How the hell would the dispatcher know if you're in fear for your life or the lives of others?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Well, now, would it be advisable to shoot? A car is next to impossible to stop with small arms fire. Even if you can bust through the windshield and hit and incapacitate the driver, the car will still keep moving. And all this in a crowd of people.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Side note: Who the hell totes a gun and doesn't know when it is and isn't OK to shoot somebody?
You're kidding, right? There are tens of thousands such people carrying.