SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Convertible owners chime in please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convertible owners chime in please Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

Awesome car. Was it 63's (or multiple years) that had an optional fiberglas parade boot that covered the back seat so it looked like a 2 seater?

Multiple years if memory serves. It was available for the '61 as shown here. We didn't have one. But I got my first two speeding tickets in it. Loved the chirping the tires made as the auto tranny shifted gears under full acceleration. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has a 2016 V6 Base Mustang but its a hard top. Plenty of power for me. The 2017 base V6 conv is about $27K. A V8 Premium model would run about $45-50K. I think I can live with 305 HP for the $20K+ saved. I am an old man after all Smile

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
My current convertible is a C300, and I wouldnt trade it for a hardtop. Worth the extra IMHO/

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We've had convertibles (aka Pervetatables)for a long time now. First car was a 60 pontiac, then a 61 Ferd. Came downhill to a VWee with a sunroof, and decided that wasn't good enough. Don't know if the 914 qualified, but it spent most of its time with the hardtop off. Then comes the series of maybe 15 jeeps. Some with the dual top option, but the top comes off all of them.

The wife's cars moved back to fairly legitimate convertibles. Started about 97 with a VW Cabrio. Then on to a 2002. In 2007 we bought her an EOS. Its white with a white leather interior. Still got it. Along with a 2016 Jeep. Don't remember much about having a car where the sky wasn't overhead. Maybe its about your lifestyle. If it were up to me, we'd have the top down every non-rainy day. Wife is old (same age as me) and isn't as wild about it as she once was.

When I was a kid, the family across the street had a series of them too. In the 1950s that was the best thing you could do in an evening. Go for a ride with the air all around you

When one grand daughter was maybe 2 I connned my son into bringing her her on a friday evening. We've got a thing out on the river called Fireworks Friday. During baseball season. After the Reds lose, they still have fireworks. Anyway, we had the car seat installed and the top down. We could have viewed it from here at home, but wanted to drive her down to the area called Riverside Drive, where they go off right over head. The first thing she did when we buckled her in was started pointing at the sky. She couldn't get over riding without a top.

Back in the 80s I was driving my jeep full time. In the winter, I had the hardtop on. Then about April 1 on went the soft top. By June 1 I ran without the top but with a bikini top for 3 months. Along about Sept 1 I went back to the soft top, then on Nov 1 back to the hard top. When it rained in the summer, I wore a rubber rain suit over my suit. I loved it.

Everyone who drives a convertible gets caught by a shower a few times. You've been wet before, and you'll be wet again.

On the seats. I didn't have leather in a jeep till my 83 CJ7 Limited. Folks called me an idiot, and I returned the favor. Wifes 97VW had the leather package. Worried her constantly because cows never got rained on. It held up just fine. And I'd do it again in an instant.

Weather where you live will probably dictate how you do things. You can work it out. Better if you've got a garage and an extra car. If others feel you're crazy, so what? Enjoy life, we'll all be dead in due time.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have had a 2006 Honda S2000 for 7 years and absolutely love it.....in the summer. We put on about 3,500 miles a year. We have had zero maintenance one treat the top twice a year with 303 and the car is garaged.

Sure, it’s noisy regardless of top up or top down but when you live in NW Montana, it’s a great way to see the sites.

We’ve owned 2 Miatas and a Toyota Landcruiser (1976) with a removable hardtop.

I hope to never get sick of driving top down.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So I have a bmw 430 currently and the hard top is great because it gives you the best of both worlds. You would be surprised how not bad it is with the top down and AC blasting on hot days. I had an original Z4 with the soft top and never had any issues with leaks or anything. The soft top definitely gives you more of a purist feel.

For what you describe I would suggest you get a Nissan 370Z roadster. They come in stick, have plenty of power (325hp i think), they have plenty of leg room, all come standard with air conditioned seats, and are generally reliable. You can get a low mileage 2012-15 for around $20-25k. The only thing I would suggest is a get an extended warranty that covers The top mechanism.

I have driven the V6 Mustang convertible and it’s a dog. A new Miata feels way faster.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/...ue#listing=200682543

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVED my convertible. Even if you only have the top down less than 50% of the time, it's still worth it to have the option.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I've had a drop top of some type since 2000, and wouldn't be without one. I wear a hat and enjoy the air until it gets below 45 degrees (heated seats a must for me)

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove convertibles all my life. Didn't think I'd ever be without one. I was wrong. Age does bad things to a man. Current ride is an Outback. I don't even open the sunroof. By the way, girls love convertibles....until they get married. At that point, for some reason, it begins to mess up their hair.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have a 2006 BMW Z4M, which I love. 333hp straight 6 with 8000rpm redline, 6sp manual transmission (the Z4Ms of that generation did not have an auto available). Put one of those wind blockers between the head rests and I can drive 80+ with the top down without problems. At normal speeds, you can have a conversation in normal voice. I have had no problems with it at all, but I do perform all my own maintenance, including the valve shim service (every 35000mi or so).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Can't understand the purpose of a convertible that is not a two seater, but that is just me.

Sometimes four doors and seats doesn't diminish the looks or purpose of a convertible.

Okay, ya got me with that one. Guess I was thinking about the newer cars that look like I'm driving a box of headrests

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I miss my Miata every single day.

Me too.

I owned 5 in a 12 year period. You will find out if your a a convertible guy or not.

May I suggest you rent one for a week or 2 and see how you like it.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I used to have a car restoration business so I've been fortunate to have owned and driven a number of convertibles.

None of them were new-fangled stuff and all were manual soft-tops. MGBs, TR4s, TR6s, Fiat Spiders, 50's American convertibles, Alfas, Jeeps, lots of sunroofs, even an old Mercedes with the Webasto roof etc.

My favorite- (1972 TR6)

There's something about the vintage interiors that the new cars (unless you shift into the higher end) don't have. (I.E. Soul).
The feel of the road is essentially muted.
Also never owned a convertible that wasn't manual shift.

Don't own one currently due to space, but miss them. I think a lot of the decision depends on location and typical weather.

Beware the black interior...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love my BMW 325ci convertible.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife drives a convertible Camaro everyday and she loves it. People think convertible means summer fun but that’s about the worst time for them. Summer nights are about it otherwise spring and fall is where it’s at.

We carpool quite a bit so there are months at a time where her car never has the top up. It has to be extremely hot or extremely cold for her to drive her car with the top up. I’ve heard her comment before on a beautiful day when she sees someone with a convertible top and it’s up wondering why they even have one.

I say get one if you have the garage space.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Boxster owner. I use it as a daily driver. It is fun as hell to drive and I really like it. My only advice would be to buy a one that has a glass rear window. My previous Boxster had plastic and it was a pain. It discolored quickly and cracked when I screwed up and opened the top in cold weather.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friends had them in my teenage years. Girls definitely noticed. They were nice when cars did not have air conditioning. As I got older women complained about their hair getting messed up. Some guys would then roll up the windows with the top down. We used to joke we looked like we were riding around in an acquarium. Just did not look cool.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This 06 vw was my wife's daily driver for about 5 years and it was fun.

This 04 GT stick is more fun. Top hasn't been up in about 2 years Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a convertible. We rarely put the top down. Love air conditioning, hate hay fever.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My 2nd car was a 1996 Mustang GT convertible. I bought it in college and as a single fella in college what a fantastic idea that was!!
Once I graduated it lost it’s luster. Soft top takes lots of care to keep it nice, they generally aren’t as rigid as their hardtop equivalents, a bit noisier.
If it was a hard top I would still own it. I sold it and don’t really miss it. I’ll never own another.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post