SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Convertible owners chime in please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convertible owners chime in please Login/Join 
posted
Been looking for a rear wheel drive, manual transmission sports car to augment my current daily driver, a 2013 Ford F150. I actually ordered a Mustang Convertible LX with the 5.0L V8 and manual transmission in 1988, but it came in with an auto and I refused delivery. Always kind of wanted one but never got close again.

Now I'm looking at a 2017 Mustang base V6 convertible with a man trans. A few questions for those of you who own a convertible if you please.

Do you have a soft or hard top? Any downsides to the soft top that somebody who has never owned one wouldn't know about? How often do you drop the top? I really like air conditioning so I'm not sure how often I would actually drop the top.

In short, is the convertible worth it to you or would you be just about as happy with a standard hard top?

I have driven the BMW 430i hard top convertible and it was really nice, but I can't see spending that kind of money and having only a 4 cyl engine. Plus they are very expensive esp if you want real leather seats. They also don't come with a manual trans and getting cooled seats seems about impossible as well. I can live without cooled seats but I'd really like a man transmission.

Anyway, any comments on the joys of driving a rag top would be appreciated.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 convertibles over the past 30 years. All older ones. If you can garage it, it might be worthwhile, depending on the climate and security concerns. I always figured there was no reason to lock the doors on my convertibles since they could be broken into so easily. I just never left anything of value in them.

They were fun to drive but not really practical.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Highly overrated in my experience. The sun burns your head unless you wear a hat. And you’ll wear a hat because your sunglasses can’t keep the sun out of your eyes. It’s usually too damned hot. The wind is loud and the wife bitching is louder.

Did I mention the top rots off? Absolutely no security?

But there are those few hours on those few days when it’s a sublime thing to drop the top.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My ex has the Camaro with the soft top. She usually only drives with the top down during dusk. She stores it in the winter.

I’m actually getting the BMW next since I want the hard top. I’ll get it with awd for the rare occasions I will drive it in the winter. Just in case. My last three cars have been awd so I’m okay with it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had a Mercedes SL for a few years with both tops. I was disappointed how noisy it was with the top down, and in San Diego, too sunny for my redhairedness. I doubt I drove more than a few hours a year like that.

I bought the machinery to put in the garage to raise and lower the hard top. Not cheap! I probably drove it half the time with the hard top and the rest with the soft.

A man came to our office to hire us to foreclose a deed of trust. He had the exact same car, color and everything. About a year later, he called me up and asked if I was interested in selling mine. His had been wrecked. He brought me a check.

A convertible just didn't work for me plus, there wasn’t room for my tuba.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I miss my Miata every single day.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of convertibles - dozens. Currently have a BMW 440 with a folding hardtop. The last BMW I had, a 650 vert, had a 6-speed but they've pretty much stopped putting manual transmissions in verts - except the M4. No joy on manual trans with Audi or MB either.

Were do you live? I'm not sure a rag top would be good idea in Montana, but I'd have no concerns about a rag top in a more moderate climate.

If you want a BMW, find a 5-6 year old 335 vert - it they had 6 cylinder engines and many had 6-speeds. Or 2012 or older Z4 if you want a folding hard top - also was available with a manual.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
'88 RX-7 Convertible here. Owned it since new, just put on my third top. Far from the perfect ride, but what price fun? Got me laid plenty back in the day when I could keep up.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've owned numerous convertible sports cars going back to a 1958 TR3a. Currently have an AP1 Honda S2000 (240bhp 9k rpm 6-speed manual and real leather seats!). Wx here means storing it for the winter season but I'm okay with that and have a "regular" vehicle for all season use.

I've been bald since high school and still love rag tops. Never had a convertible with a removable hardtop as it just never passed my personal sanity check. Drive with a hat or a properly applied quality sun screen. Enjoy the smells, views, and sounds of the road. FWIW I much prefer off the beaten path 2 laners to super highways too. Nothing like chatting up the locals in small out of the way towns and partaking in ma and pa eateries. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former 2001 Miata LS (snickety-snick 6-speed, leather, 16" wheels) here.

FUN FUN FUN car to drive! Auto-X'd it for many years too.

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the Memphis area, so its REALLY hot in the summer when you would most want to use the drop top. It would get most use in the spring and fall in moderate temps, I really like cool weather. Would probably have the top up and the AC cranking in most of the summer hot months.

If I went for the BMW it would definitely have to be the 440i or the M4. Not sure I can swing the M4 and much prefer a new car, so searching for a used with the manual is probably not in the cards. Perhaps if I found a really great deal on a lightly used one I would consider it.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Drive a lot of them first. There are many differences.

Been in a Toyota Solara and the dash was almost jumping out of the car. The cowl shake was so bad. Wow. Mercedes 500SL is a solid car, but plastic windows in a Benz?

My brother has a '89 Sunbird. No cowl shake, fully automatic top, glass windows all the way around. Great mileage.

Bought a Cadillac a while back. Removable aluminum hard top. Glass windows on both. Convertible top is manual. Built solid enough to be carved out of a chunk from Gibraltar. Wind noise was not an issue with the top down at highway speeds. Awesome car, but it was not one you would want to have to find parts for.

The removable hard top is great for the winter. Avoid plastic windows if at all possible. Fabric tops are best. Can't understand the purpose of a convertible that is not a two seater, but that is just me.

Good luck.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Can't understand the purpose of a convertible that is not a two seater, but that is just me.

Sometimes four doors and seats doesn't diminish the looks or purpose of a convertible.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:

Sometimes four doors and seats doesn't diminish the looks or purpose of a convertible.

Agreed although they are rare. I'll put our '61 Ford T-Bird (2 door 4 seater 390 cid auto white with baby blue seats) in that category. This pic is very close color scheme-wise.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We bought a 2000 Miata off a repo lot for 4500 bucks and put 100k miles on it. We enjoyed it so much we bought a new 2017 when the first one was about used up.
It is garage kept so the only soft top maintenance is application of waterproofer UV protectant once a year. You run the AC, or heater, with the top down to extend the top down season. Windows up help as well. We did one road trip that was 12 states and 16 days long in the old one!

We have the cloth top but if you prefer they also make a power retractable targa style hard top.

They are not real fast, 0 - 60 about 6 sec. but are a fun to drive, especially in the twists, and our lifetime average so far at 10K miles is between 38 and 39 MPG. 6 speed manual or auto with paddle shifters.

Ours...

Top down driving over the Rockies! A bit of snow still around...

The wife driving the Tail of The Dragon, East Tennessee! (she needs a cushion LOL!)

The (RF) powered hard top...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/YrFDUQmigzc

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple soft top convertibles and really enjoyed driving them with the top down. I found them fun and comfortable to drive with the top down on all but the hottest days. Both mine were eciplse's and were pretty quiet with the top and windows down. If I had the money I'd love to own another convertible but right now it's not in the budget. If you want one buy one.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Can't understand the purpose of a convertible that is not a two seater, but that is just me.

LOL... ROOM!

When we first got our Miata we ran to Krogers to get a gallon of milk, we then decided to run by our Daughters house on the way home... My wife called the Daughter to warn her we were coming by. My Daughter asked us if we could bring her a gallon of milk as well. I said sure... but we'll have to make two trips! Eek

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My current rag top is an 07 Corvette in atomic orange metallic tint coat. It replaced my 86 roadster. I also have owned a couple Fox body GT convertibles. This 07 is extremely quiet for a convertible. But most of the miles are with the top down. I usually leave the top down in the garage and just throw a cover over it to keep the dust out of the inside.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We have a 2012 Mustang convertible and love it. It is kept in a garage, but is driven year round. it still cleans up pretty well and we enjoy it.

Ours has the V6, which I was not crazy about, until I drove it. with 303 hp, no it is not a V8, but it has plenty of power.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:

Agreed although they are rare. I'll put our '61 Ford T-Bird (2 door 4 seater 390 cid auto white with baby blue seats) in that category. This pic is very close color scheme-wise.

Awesome car. Was it 63's (or multiple years) that had an optional fiberglas parade boot that covered the back seat so it looked like a 2 seater?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post