Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

home defense Login/Join 
posted
I have a friend who lives in Arizona, around 60 miles from the Mexican border. He has no firearms yet but is considering getting one to protect his home/family. He mentioned shotgun, but I thought a pistol might be better. What do you recommend for him? I advised him to sign up for firearms training locally and see what they say.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
AR15.

For one and only, learn this. Use this. It'll do most of what your friend will want or need in most situations.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
AR15.

For one and only, learn this. Use this. It'll do most of what your friend will want or need in most situations.

Home alarm system, German Shepard, pistol, shotgun, and AR-15. . not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Automated outside lights, AR-15, good 9mm pistol.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Add to whatever his weapon of choice is a cell phone with confirmed reception anywhere on his property.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
11.5” AR15 pistol from a reputable company with a weapon mounted quality light. USGI AR magazine bandolier with 4 spares, and a CAT, quickclot gauze, and an ace bandage.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Training first, firearm selection later. Working knowledge of Spanish, if the does not have it already.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
Many different thoughts on the subject; there's a few videos from reputable trainers posted below, the two have opposing viewpoints.

Personally, I have two kids and always have my pistol on me (next to me when sleeping), so my HD gun (for now) is my P365.
I do have some firearms designed for home defense, but the layout of my house and space constraints prevent me from keeping them handy. That said, if I could safely stage them, my silenced G45 with RMR would be my first choice, followed my my Suppressed .300 Blackout SBR.

As others mentioned, training with whichever he decides is a must!

https://youtu.be/MnVIP3vLrZ8

https://youtu.be/mJCg9CCAJyI

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
AR15.

Home alarm system, German Shepard, pistol, shotgun, and AR-15. . not necessarily in that order.

You left out something for the Mrs. Add in one more AR, duty pistol for her bedside, and something like an LC9 or LCP for carry.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
AR15.

You got your answer in the first post. An AR-15 is my go to home defense weapon.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Automated outside lights, AR-15, good 9mm pistol.

And if possible get those lights up where they can't be reached easily from the ground.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Rural, suburban or city environment?
Choices could be different if he owns a couple of sections of land or rents an apartment.
Is he looking to start carrying a firearm, or just something propped up behind the bedroom door?
Is he the type who will want to keep ammo and disassembled weapon in opposite ends of the house?
Any firearms experience at all?
Kids in the house?
Is the SO on board?
Is he the type that will train/practice with said firearm? Or is it a talisman to ward off evil?
(Practice and training are not always mutually inclusive terms, either)

I train/practice more with a pistol because I figure that is what I will probably have with me if something happens. But I carry whenever/wherever legal.
Plus I enjoy pistols more.

There are a few we more questions that need to asked and answered.
We haven’t even talked budget yet.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You are gonna get the phone book for this answer.

First he will need to visit a store and price some different guns.
Then he needs to set a budget
Then some training.

First I’d start with a handgun, and a good light, as the handgun can go places with him, where a carbine cannot.
Then a AR15 with a light.

Several mags already loaded.
Tell him to get good ammo, don’t cheap out as FMJ will put little holes in the bad guy.

Then get him to peruse the forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what does he know about guns, arizona law and
shooting?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I was "that guy" 35 years ago. A cop friend told me to get a .357 mag with a 4" barrel. I did, I still have it, and it's still my favorite gun.

I'm not certain that advice I got 35 years ago is so outdated.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
A good home defense rifle is easier to shoot accurately, is easier to shoot faster, holds more ammunition, is less likely to overpenetrate through a bunch of walls, and is more likely to incapacitate someone shot with it than a good home defense pistol.

About the only advantage a pistol has is being smaller.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I think everyone else pretty much covered the HD weapons of choice. More importantly, have you discussed the concept of...Shoot, shovel, and shut up with him?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since he mentioned it to you, he's clearly been thinking about it. The general rule I tell everyone is your level of seriousness will determine what to buy.

If he's concerned about home defense but, doesn't want to make the investment in either training or, has a spouse that he's concerned about but, they don't want to commit to much training, get a shotgun. The vast majority of people know how to use a shotgun (Rem 870 or, Moss 590), it's threatening when it needs to be and visually the least 'scary' by liberal standards. Very little skill is needed employ a shotgun or, any long gun, point the thin open end at the threat.

Rifles are the most effective at stopping man, they're easy to use, however they do require a commitment to training to achieve a level proficiency. A lever-action rifle is easiest to work, isn't unwieldy, whereas a bolt-action could be a nightmare due to it's length, and manipulating the bolt could be difficult under stress. An AR or, AK style rifle is hugely popular and suitable, they do require a fair amount of practice to familiarize and achieve a proficiency level to be comfortable.

Handguns are popular, they're small, can easily be carried when not using, and can be canceled going outside but, require A LOT of practice to be familiar with and proficient. Malfunctions, jams and mis-usage are very common with those using handguns without much practice or, familiarity. Many crimes are thwarted or, stunted due to a incompetent criminal and thier lack of handgun familiarity. If need be but, limited practice/training, a revolver is very reliable, whereas a semi-auto points/holds easier has larger capacity but various models range in reliability.

For the least investment, a shotgun and revolver are fine for home defense.
Ideally, an AR and semi-auto pistol for each occupant, shotguns for bedrooms.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The 3 S's..... I like it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
No way in hell would I recommend an AR to a non-gun person who has no interest in becoming proficient with it. Most people who DO become proficient with their ARs are gun people, who have experience with many different firearms before they buy an AR.

I could be wrong, guessing there are lots of millenials who buy AR guns who are not sure which end of the gun the bullets come out.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post