SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about a used car purchase from this weekend. What do the lawyers say?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a used car purchase from this weekend. What do the lawyers say? Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:

Why would someone checking your credit score actually lower it, even if only one point. Worse yet why would it drop if you paid off a loan. I thought that was how you raised it.

These are two of the seeming paradoxes of the credit reporting system. Yes, a credit inquiry drops your score about a point, and no, paying off a debt doesn't help it. I have had no car payment since 2011 and my score is harmed (more correctly not helped) by not having a car or other installment loan.

Reminds me of my purchase of a brand-new '15 CX5 a couple years ago at a local Mazda dealership. After negotiating with the salesperson, and then having the usual routine of the sales manager stepping in to grudgingly seal the deal since my demands were just too much for the salesperson to authorize Roll Eyes , I told them both that I was not financing and was intead paying outright (by check), and so no credit check was necessary or desired. I was very clear: no credit check was to be done for the reasons mentioned above (hit on credit score). I was repeatedly assured that it wouldn't happen.

And so, of course, once I got into the dealership's office to do the paperwork, a credit check had been done. Mad I asked why it had been done when I so clearly indicated that it should not be, and was told that, to paraphrase, they had to make sure I was who I said I was. I pointed out that they had a copy of my driver's license, and could verify funds with the bank, and that a credit check did not verify identity per se in any way. I just about walked out, but my wife was there and I'd just secured a heckuva deal on what was going to be her car (and the trade-in was likely on its last leg), so I swallowed my anger and pride and finished the deal for her.

Left that dealership pissed, though, and as this post may suggest, I still am. If anybody wants to know a Mazda dealership to avoid in the Seattle area, one that is duplicitious and doesn't honor its promises, email me and I'll pass on the name.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
I don't know about the credit or dealer disclosure, but if that area isn't fixed the paint will eventual flake and peel off.

Yep, and then likely rust. If they don't fix it I'll end up doing it myself.

It's the rear fascia and plastic, it's not going to rust. The previous owner bumped something, bent the plastic and crinkled the paint. Put a magnet right on the crinkled paint and it will fall off, because it's plastic. Probable result of a .01 MPH impact with a 12 year old on a bicycle.

Roll Eyes
Again, this is incorrect. The rear hatch is steel, which is where the paint is flaking.
If this damage was caused by a bike rider, it was a circus rhino on a 15 speed going 30mph.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post