SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about a used car purchase from this weekend. What do the lawyers say?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a used car purchase from this weekend. What do the lawyers say? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I agree you don't really have a leg to stand on legally. However, I think they'll probably take care of that paint if you take it in to them, even though they probably aren't legally required to.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Also you ok'd them to check your credit
you said so, and how would they be able to
offer you a competitive deal, to which you
stated in the first post was the reason if they
don't pull your credit.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on re the credit inquiry,
they had to have your SSN name, address etc to do so,
how would you expect to get a valid offer without them doing that.

NEGATIVE. Yes you are correct that I gave them my information, and my wife gave them hers, and again, I don't even care about it other that it was a shady practice. Where you are incorrect is that you must sign for the credit inquiry, and we most certainly did not. We didn't want them to even check our credit, and didn't want their offer for credit, but the dealership makes a lot of their money from the buyer using their credit.
So he asked what my current rate was and if he could ask the finance manager if he could beat it by 1 point. I agreed to him asking if he assured us he wouldn't run our credit.

Enough with the damn credit. I know without question I didn't authorize him to run a credit check on mine or my wife's credit. Plain and simple. And, as stated before, it's not even a real issue other than if I could get it removed very easily, I would.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My short take -

You basically authorized them to see if they could get you a better deal on the financing. They needed your scores to do that I am assuming... If they HAD found you a better deal ... I assume you would have been happy about that.

The small blemish? No big deal IMO. If you didn't notice until you went home and examined it... it obviously is not that big a problem. You'll probably have a worse door ding in it within 7 days of ownership.

They are of no responsibility to disclose every single minor imperfection. That is your job.

But it sounds like you like your new ride! Enjoy it and stop second-guessing the transaction. Smile

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
My short take -

You basically authorized them to see if they could get you a better deal on the financing. They needed your scores to do that I am assuming... If they HAD found you a better deal ... I assume you would have been happy about that.

The small blemish? No big deal IMO. If you didn't notice until you went home and examined it... it obviously is not that big a problem. You'll probably have a worse door ding in it within 7 days of ownership.

They are of no responsibility to disclose every single minor imperfection. That is your job.

But it sounds like you like your new ride! Enjoy it and stop second-guessing the transaction. Smile

----------------------------

Yes, we do enjoy it.

It's not a small blemish when the entire rear of the car has been repainted.

And they actually did get a better deal, but I like USAA and want to give them my business whenever it is feasible, and in this case they would have had to give me 0.5% to go with them.

Yes, we like it. We are keeping it. I do not feel as though the dealership treated us fairly. I'm done bothering about it.

-wolff

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So what's the credit problem, not understanding the issue? Confused

He didn't want them to actually run his credit, they did, and it lowered his score by one point.

Just my opinion, but it's not a big deal. My credit score dropped double digits over the course of a few months and the only reason I could figure was I paid my student loans off. No other hits that I'm aware of and I pay my bills every month.

Not understanding it either. Why would someone checking your credit score actually lower it, even if only one point. Worse yet why would it drop if you paid off a loan. I thought that was how you raised it.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So what's the credit problem, not understanding the issue? Confused

He didn't want them to actually run his credit, they did, and it lowered his score by one point.

Just my opinion, but it's not a big deal. My credit score dropped double digits over the course of a few months and the only reason I could figure was I paid my student loans off. No other hits that I'm aware of and I pay my bills every month.

Not understanding it either. Why would someone checking your credit score actually lower it, even if only one point. Worse yet why would it drop if you paid off a loan. I thought that was how you raised it.

As far as lowering credit, having a lot of inquiries looks bad to the credit agencies, I guess they think you are looking to borrow more than you should. Or shopping around looks bad. I'm not real sure why, but it does.

Paying off a loan shouldn't lower your credit unless you close the account, which would lower the amount of credit you are able to borrow against, changing your debt to income ratio.

-wolff

posted Hide Post
I don't know about the credit or dealer disclosure, but if that area isn't fixed the paint will eventual flake and peel off.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
I don't know about the credit or dealer disclosure, but if that area isn't fixed the paint will eventual flake and peel off.

Yep, and then likely rust. If they don't fix it I'll end up doing it myself.

-wolff

Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
You said that the carfax was clean? I doubt that the carfax guaranty is as good as carfax claims, but maybe look at that option?

Also, while I agree that you shouldn't be surprised that they ran credit if you gave them your social, if you are sure that you didn't authorize them to do so (by signing an authorization for them to run the report), there is a chance that the dealership violated a consumer protection law in your state (though I can't say for sure since (i) this isn't my area of expertise, (ii) I haven't actually researched the matter and (iii)I'm not familiar with your state's laws).

Keep in mind that a lot of dealers run credit even if you aren't financing to verify your info and make sure that they should be comfortable accepting your alternate payment (whether its a check or another bank's financing). You very well may have authorized that credit check for that purpose.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why anyone believes anything they are told at a car dealership. If they tell you today is Monday, make them post a bond.

It's like going to the carnival at the fair, a shell game. You are it.

Why do business with those guys?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carfax is notoriously unreliable when it comes to catching accidents. Branded titles they are good at but accidents are always hit and miss. Consequently, their 'guarantee' only covers branded titles and not accidents.

Also, dealerships do need to require accident histories if they know about them. Good luck proving that they knew about it though without some kind of paper trail.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:

Yep, and then likely rust. If they don't fix it I'll end up doing it myself.

It's the rear fascia and plastic, it's not going to rust. The previous owner bumped something, bent the plastic and crinkled the paint. Put a magnet right on the crinkled paint and it will fall off, because it's plastic. Probable result of a .01 MPH impact with a 12 year old on a bicycle.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
This is the best part about buying a new car vs a used car. After you purchase you get a survey from the manufacturer. If return anything other than 100% satisfied you get a call from the manufacturer. The dealers get the same call and will scramble to fix whatever caused that not perfect score. I have had this happen with both VW and BMW. Used cars no one cares

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Some states like Florida have a law where you can return the car within a short time period and recind the deal.....In Florida it's somewhere between 3-7 days, I cannot remember which. Check with your State laws regarding auto purchases.

Florida has no such law.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Some states like Florida have a law where you can return the car within a short time period and recind the deal.....In Florida it's somewhere between 3-7 days, I cannot remember which. Check with your State laws regarding auto purchases.

Florida has no such law.

This is how false information spreads on the internet. Mr. 123x can you post a link to this law or tell us how you used it to resolve a problem with a dealer? Please don't give advice if you aren't sure if it's true.

Here's an Edmond's article about the subject. Also here is Florida's Car Buying Guide.

Car salespeople are in the business of selling cars. They may be complete morons, but they know the laws that apply to them. Unless there is fraud it's not likely you can return a car unless you can get them to agree to it. Know you are always at a disadvantage when buying a car and come as prepared as possible. Read everything.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
"What's that yellow paint doing on that car? Did it used to be a taxi?"

"No, ma'am, that's yellow primer" It's a rust preventative, it adds life to the body....

"Trust me..."

USED CARS (1980)

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two things you should be aware of;

1) Banks & other auto financing companies "kickback" $ to the dealership if they write the paper. This could give you a better price on the vehicle. A common scam is to tell the buyer they do not qualify for the lowest rate (when they do). The dealership then pockets the difference.
2) Carfax only has what is reported to them, & many repair shops & dealerships do not report.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:

Why would someone checking your credit score actually lower it, even if only one point. Worse yet why would it drop if you paid off a loan. I thought that was how you raised it.

These are two of the seeming paradoxes of the credit reporting system. Yes, a credit inquiry drops your score about a point, and no, paying off a debt doesn't help it. I have had no car payment since 2011 and my score is harmed (more correctly not helped) by not having a car or other installment loan.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:

Florida has no such law.

You're correct. I just looked it up and no such law currently exists in FL. I sold new (and used cars) in 2002/2003 and am pretty sure back then that existed, but it obviously has been a long time since I've been in the car business. Maybe it was only our chain of dealerships policy,or maybe it was rescinded IDK.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope it isn't anything major on the vehicle other than some paint. I am always leery about vehicles that don't have a warranty,especially on something that new and with low miles. Saving a little now can cost more in the long run. I think we have all had lessons in life we learn from. I know I have had mine.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post