SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about a used car purchase from this weekend. What do the lawyers say?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a used car purchase from this weekend. What do the lawyers say? Login/Join 
Picture of wolffy88
posted
My wife and I bought a used 2016 Traverse this weekend from a larger dealership in Oklahoma. We really like the vehicle, and are overall happy with the purchase.
There are two issues though. The first is we went in with our own financing, and the sales manager tried to pressure us into financing with him, to which we all agreed that he would ask our credit scores and then go ask the finance manger if he thought he could get us a better rate, only with the numbers we supplied them. I checked my credit this morning and wouldn't you know it but there was a hard inquiry on both of our reports. That ticks me off because that's not at all what we agreed to do. It's also probably not that big of a deal, but is there a way to get it removed?

The second issue is that when I got home and looked the car over with my fine tooth comb I find that the car has been repaired on the back end. There isn't a car fax or similar report of accident on the vehicle, but I feel like they should have found it in their inspection that they claim they do. I understand that I signed paperwork stating that it is as/no warranty, but does that cover knowing about damage or repair and not disclosing it?

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that it came with no warranty. Super high mileage for a 1+ year old car? If this was a Chevrolet dealer, they seriously ripped you off. The customer is responsible for looking the car over before purchase so you might be toast on that point as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
The dealership was offering no warranty. The vehicle still has the GM powertrain and bumper to bumper warranties. It was a Chevrolet dealer.
It has 16,000 miles on it.

-wolff

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
My wife and I bought a used 2016 Traverse this weekend from a larger dealership in Oklahoma. We really like the vehicle, and are overall happy with the purchase.
There are two issues though. The first is we went in with our own financing, and the sales manager tried to pressure us into financing with him, to which we all agreed that he would ask our credit scores and then go ask the finance manger if he thought he could get us a better rate, only with the numbers we supplied them. I checked my credit this morning and wouldn't you know it but there was a hard inquiry on both of our reports. That ticks me off because that's not at all what we agreed to do. It's also probably not that big of a deal, but is there a way to get it removed?

The second issue is that when I got home and looked the car over with my fine tooth comb I find that the car has been repaired on the back end. There isn't a car fax or similar report of accident on the vehicle, but I feel like they should have found it in their inspection that they claim they do. I understand that I signed paperwork stating that it is as/no warranty, but does that cover knowing about damage or repair and not disclosing it?

You noticed the paint work when you got home but not when buying the car? This isn't going to be helpful to you now, but I always recommend to friends and clients when buying a car over 10k dollars to have an independent shop do a ppi (pre purchase inspecion) on it. I do them for people here and generally (depending on the vehicle) charge $200, that would have told you about the paint work, and any mechanical issues that may be hiding.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some states like Florida have a law where you can return the car within a short time period and recind the deal.....In Florida it's somewhere between 3-7 days, I cannot remember which. Check with your State laws regarding auto purchases.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused on the credit inquiry part. Did you sign a credit app? If so, nothing can be done.

I would go back to the dealer and ask them to fix any problems or blems with the repair. They will probably make it right. Reputation management is a high priority with franchised dealers.

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

You noticed the paint work when you got home but not when buying the car? This isn't going to be helpful to you now, but I always recommend to friends and clients when buying a car over 10k dollars to have an independent shop do a ppi (pre purchase inspecion) on it. I do them for people here and generally (depending on the vehicle) charge $200, that would have told you about the paint work, and any mechanical issues that may be hiding.

Yes, the paint problem is pretty inconspicuous, which is why I didn't notice it until I go home with it. I understand that the fault is on me, but if they knew about it and didn't disclose it, I think that's against the law, but I'm not 100% sure.

-wolff

Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I'm a little confused on the credit inquiry part. Did you sign a credit app? If so, nothing can be done.

I would go back to the dealer and ask them to fix any problems or blems with the repair. They will probably make it right. Reputation management is a high priority with franchised dealers.

We didn't sign a credit app, we gave them our information, but we didn't sign the paperwork. I intentionally didn't sign anything because I knew I wasn't going to use their financing.

-wolff

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We didn't sign a credit app, we gave them our information, but we didn't sign the paperwork. I intentionally didn't sign anything because I knew I wasn't going to use their financing.
You gave them your social security numbers though, right? How else would they run your credit?

I'm a little surprised that, you're surprised...that a car dealership had salesmen that lied and cheated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
quote:

You gave them your social security numbers though, right? How else would they run your credit?

I'm a little surprised that, you're surprised...that a car dealership had salesmen that lied and cheated.

Yes, I did give them my info, and yes I am a bit surprised that they would lie to my face about something that I can easily verify. Seems pretty stupid to me.
The credit inquiry isn't really an issue. I only asked if there was a way to dispute it. It lowered my credit 1 point, nothing I care to raise my blood pressure over.

-wolff

posted Hide Post
To give you a serious quote for a loan they would have to get your credit score, other wise they are just wasting time. I can guarantee people tell them all the time I have XXX credit score and soon find out that is not the case. I would not worry about this.

As far as the damage to the vehicle. I dont know about your state but I never heard of a disclosure law for vehicle repairs. Does everyone tell the dealer about the vehicle issues when they trade a car in?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
To give you a serious quote for a loan they would have to get your credit score, other wise they are just wasting time. I can guarantee people tell them all the time I have XXX credit score and soon find out that is not the case. I would not worry about this.

As far as the damage to the vehicle. I dont know about your state but I never heard of a disclosure law for vehicle repairs. Does everyone tell the dealer about the vehicle issues when they trade a car in?

Yes, I'm sure customers lie about their credit all the time. Basically I told the sales manager he could ask the finance manager about it to get him off my back about it, so that I could continue with my purchase.

My state has a disclosure law for new and unregistered vehicles, but it doesn't state anything about used, so I am assuming I am SOL. I highly doubt the dealer will do anything about it without being forced to do so.

-wolff

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So what's the credit problem, not understanding the issue? Confused

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Read the fine print on the buyers order/contract that you signed. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an authorization in there somewhere for them to check your credit.
If so, it's a sneaky way to do it but probably not illegal.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can get it off your credit report, but I am unclear as to whether the dealer improperly pulled a copy of your report based on what you said. Remember, the credit reporting agencies are not the same as the dealer. They report, and even if the dealer should not have run the report, it still happened.

An as-is sale is just what it sounds like. I don't know of any states that require dealers to disclose body work. They certainly could not lie about it if you asked, AND they know about it, but they have no responsibility to disclose that I know of.

You have to take care of this BEFORE you buy. I talk to a lot of people who get all wrapped up in getting a new car, and then get angry after the transaction is closed and the excitement has worn off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So what's the credit problem, not understanding the issue? Confused

He didn't want them to actually run his credit, they did, and it lowered his score by one point.

Just my opinion, but it's not a big deal. My credit score dropped double digits over the course of a few months and the only reason I could figure was I paid my student loans off. No other hits that I'm aware of and I pay my bills every month.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
I believe that they pulled our reports without consent. Again, not a big deal, but I thought I'd ask about it.

As far as the repair, I agree that the vehicle was sold as-is. We love the car and want to keep it, I was asking if they had to disclose it if they knew about it. The consensus of the forum is they don't, so I'll see what they say about it and take my lumps about not seeing the issues before.

We love the car and are happy with the purchase, but I would have negotiated a lower price had I seen the damage.

This is the issue - it looks like they put the tail light in before it was fully dry

These pictures are really close, so that should explain why it was hard for me to see. Also, there is semi-fresh buffing compound in the door jamb.

-wolff

come and take it
posted Hide Post
The good news, you haven't been screwed and you don't need a lawyer. Pulling credit one time isn't going to "hurt" your credit. A paint repair on a bumper isn't necessarily an indication the car was in a collision, it could have been a touch up from a shopping cart scratch, or backing into something at 3 mph. You bought a used car, you hopefully saved thousands from a new one, but it is not going to be perfect.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
The good news, you haven't been screwed and you don't need a lawyer. Pulling credit one time isn't going to "hurt" your credit. A paint repair on a bumper isn't necessarily an indication the car was in a collision, it could have been a touch up from a shopping cart scratch, or backing into something at 3 mph. You bought a used car, you hopefully saved thousands from a new one, but it is not going to be perfect.

It's not the bumper.

-wolff

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Take it back and ask about it,
and getting them to repair it, since
the deal is fresh perhaps they will fix it.

Also you ok'd them to check your credit
you said so, and how would they be able to
offer you a competitive deal, to which you
stated in the first post was the reason if they
don't pull your credit.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on re the credit inquiry,
they had to have your SSN name, address etc to do so,
how would you expect to get a valid offer without them doing that.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post