SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gator attacked neighbors dog, captured killed, photos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gator attacked neighbors dog, captured killed, photos Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Yesterday a neighbor let his family lab out to do its normal thing in the back yard, their yard backs up to a pond on the golf course, it's a decent sized pond but not massive.

No word on where the attack actually happened but if the dog was close to the water the gator grabbed it, killed it most likely drowned it and drug it out into the pond where it was left floating which is something gators do to kills.

The local police came over and they brought in a trapper who worked late last night and finally caught it this morning.

Over the past 20 years we've pulled one other gator out of the pond, this is about the same size as that one 10 ft 7 in.

There is a very large lake on the St Johns called Lake Jessup near us. Lake Jessup is one of the most heavily infested gator lakes in Florida. During the construction phases of Disney they trucked captured gators out, many of them were relocated to this lake, at the time Lake Jessup was way out in the country.

Most likely this gator came from that Lake, moving up Bear creek, gators do travel from lake to lake/pond. No telling how long it was there, maybe just recently with the rains as we had no reports of it being seen in the lake.

Car batteries are about 10 inches long so that lends a bit of perspective to its size

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was good and healthy so that pond was providing it plenty to eat unless it was a recent transplant.

Sure doesn't look anything close to 10 and a half feet but what do I know.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Don't they usually relocate trapped gators rather than kill them?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Choot 'em!

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

It killed a dog.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Most alligators under four feet long are relocated; those that are larger are humanely killed. April and May are the months in which gators are more aggressive as it's mating season.

In this case it killed a pet and it was in the middle of a large residential area with plenty of ponds, most likely it was or would be moving between ponds and killing pets, the family has two children 6 and 4 years old, the 6 year old saw it happen.

FYI The meat and hides from trapped gators make big money....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
we were touring the okeefenokee (sp?) swamp one year on vacation. Parked and went out on walk along a boardwalk through part of the swamp. Came back and there was a lady crying and some security or wildlife types talking to her. There was a leash attached to the handle of her car. She had tied the dog off to the car door and then gone away for a while. Came back to nothing but the end of a leash....

Stupid.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Gators have made a sufficient comeback IMO, and their protection should be limited to State, Federal, and other wilderness enclaves. Those found in the urban interface need not be relocated. They should be digested.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
For the most part, out where I live, they are.

If they run away when people approach, they are allowed to survive. If they don't, they are dispatched.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
For the most part, out where I live, they are.

If they run away when people approach, they are allowed to survive. If they don't, they are dispatched.
I was thinking about your pond when I saw this thread. Remembering how your dog took a cooling dip on his way back to the house.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Gators make for tasty eating.

Cut into porklet size slices and fried (as a kid we didn't have a bar-b-q grill or even a propane) we ate gator a lot.

Plus, they don't automatically attack (unless it's a female on a nest or with recent hatchlings - then they will attack, now, no waiting) otherwise they're pretty laid back.

I've been in the water with them many a time without being attacked.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
reminds me of the visitors to Death Valley in CA.

the snow birds come to visit in the winter months, and despite all the signs warnings and speech's from the park rangers , they still let there lap dogs out to roam , meander and wander about, unattended.

So eventually someone put up a 4 ft. x 8 ft. sign that read,
Coyotes 6,
dogs 0,
cats 0.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A bunch of junior high kids caught and hog tied an 11 foot gator they discovered in a dry drainage ditch behind their subdivision in the middle of Conroe, Tx.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I better tell the wife about this. Might need to go out and buy a gun specifically for gators in case an invasion is coming... Big Grin

Posts: 13051 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I better tell the wife about this. Might need to go out and buy a gun specifically for gators in case an invasion is coming... Big Grin

That’s some good thinking right there!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

That’s some good thinking right there!

don't forget two is one one is none. Big Grin

Posts: 4684 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to visit Sanibel Island where some friends lived in a condo complex with a pool. I went down to the pool one day to take a dip only to discover a gator asleep on the side of the pool. Two elderly German ladies were in the pool and I pointed out the gator to them. They were not concerned. I was! I called the cops. They asked me to go measure it. Which I did, but with great trepidation. It was a little over 5 feet long. When I called the cops back with my measurement, they declined to come out. They told me they would not move a gator unless he was 6 feet long. The eastern side of Sanibel is the Ding Darling NWR, which was loaded with gators. Who were eating a fair share of tourist dogs.
Needless to say, I was on full gator alert when waking the condo grounds!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How times have changed. Having grown up in Central Florida, and having spent a huge portion of my youth at my grandparent's house on a lake, I can remember my grandfather taking his old single shot shotgun and shooting gators several times when they showed up near their home. I still have a vivid memory of grandpa wading out into the lake and hauling a six foot gator out tail first. Today, he'd have all kinds of wildlife organizations and government agencies crawling all over him.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
There's a gator in the bushes, he's calling my name...

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Anyone need a pair of boots?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post