SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever Hear of a Social Security "Dumb Check" ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever Hear of a Social Security "Dumb Check" ? Login/Join 
posted
Bought my sister in laws car. She went into a nursing home and didn't have the ability or time to clean it out. In the trunk was a box of social security receipts. I looked through them and noticed the were for small amounts, not the minimum an adult would get. I mentioned it to a friend who is the my credit union president. I also mentioned that the sister in law worked for a local CASA agency as an advocate for children. He immediately replied, "Oh, those are dumb checks". I said what?????

It seems the local low income folks encourage their kids to act out. Get diagnosed with ADD, Tourettes, and other behavioral problems so they can collect a check each month. They seem to average a couple of hundred dollars each. First I'd heard of this.

I don't begrudge anyone in need getting some help but encouraging your kid to be a screw up for money is a new kind of low. I can only hope that most of the money went to real kids in need............

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be Social Security Disability, not the same program (or funding) us old folks who have worked all our lives collect starting in our 60s.

I too have heard of younger (nowhere near 60) alcoholics and druggies collecting from this fund, but I do not have direct knowledge.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
GAO: "Everywhere we look, we find waste and fraud."

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have known of this for a while, at least 10 years.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Nothing new. School teachers can tell you all about this program. Little fucks get sent to special ed and because of the profit motive they’ll never learn shit. The parents have no incentive for their kids to move on to something better.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
100% of the kids in my wife's city school are on the Govt dime in some way shape or form and all have some "disability". Mathematically...what are the odds? Mad

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called "crazy checks" here in the delta region of Arkansas and Mississippi. EVERY welfare mama's child here gets one. They are coached at the social security office on how to get it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yep, Crazy Checks here too.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
While not perfect, there is a process to screen applicants for these funds. I believe it includes a review of medical and school records. Folks cannot show up and say my kid has a problem give me money. Most of the kids really do have problem. Also, the family must be below an income guideline.

My biggest beef is that the funds are intended to get the kids the help they need. Unfortunately, the parents ignore the kids and use the funds on important things like bigger TVs or newer cell phones. Opps, didn't mean to by cynical.

BTW, there is also a fraud division that acts on tips - so if you know of anyone that is receiving benefits they should not receive then turn them in.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Like dusty and chongo, I know it as "crazy money".

Back in the mid-'90s, I subscribed to a magazine called Worth, published by Fidelity Investments. Evey month, they had an interesting case study in something pertaining to money-not just the accumulation thereof.

Anyway, one month's story was about a woman in Florida that trained her kids to act retarded. There were pointed comments about how to coach kids during CPS meetings and such. Want to say even about training kids to defecate upon themselves. So yeah, it's a thing.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Also called 'Crazy Checks' here in Appalachia.

And yes, many do coach the kids around here to act crazy - they know all the symptoms to mimic and parents will make sure kid only works under the table, if at all. They also encourage them to drop out so they are less employable. If they have a history of being 'crazy' and have never had a legitimate job it makes it much easier for them to slide onto SSI when they hit adulthood. If they ever work a job (even fast food) and have their diploma or GED the SSA will make them get a job and deny their payments.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i should get that i am bat shit crazy i have been working steady for 33yrs paying for a house put my wife thru college and my daughter she graduates this year and i vote republican Eek

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, around here they go after frauds on the state level aggressively. I serve a lot of warrants for obtain benefits by fraud. All of them seem to say the same thing. “I thought it would take a lot longer for them to catch me”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister-in-law works for the SSA in Massachusetts. The most common claim in 2017 (other than new retirees) was low-lifes feigning insanity, social disorders, head trauma resulting in craziness, etc.

And - the government doesn't blink an eye - pays it out every time.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
"Crazy checks" here, too.

Many of my lower-end cases intersect with SSI fraud schemes. The system is insanely overburdened and it takes much more effort to deny benefits than to approve. According to an SSA worker, while you're writing up justification for a denial, other applications in your queue build and build and your supervisor (allegedly) kicks you in the 'nads about it sooner or later. So only the REALLY flagrant ones get caught. SSA OIG is small and has an endless supply of possible targets, so they prioritize the larger individual frauds (that have a better chance of being accepted for Federal prosecution) and "mills" that pump out medical support for BS disabilities, etc, which means the comparatively smaller fish swim forever.

Many of those multi-program fraud defendants (Section 8, Food Stamps, welfare cash assistance, and SSI) have more disposable income month-end than I do, thanks to entitlement largesse. Cross-thread drift: This is MANY multiples of the entire Federal employee payroll.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post