SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surge protection needed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surge protection needed? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Question.
Have you, can you, or should I, add an inline surge protector to my cable service at the point of use (phone, tv set top box, and internet modem). It's fiber optic buried to the house to just under the meter box. There they added a junction box. In that box is a splitter that is grounded to the electric service ground wire that goes to the grounding rod. From there on into the house they ran conventional coax.

Longer explanation...
With the install of my new TV and surround sound stuff along with the fact that all of the appliances in the house are less than 2 yr old I decided it would be wise to follow the wisdom of the forum and invest in some surge protection.

I got a fairly well reviewed and rated point of use protector for the system components and I am in progress of installing the Eaton ultra whole house protector at the main panel in the garage. Luck me, I have a two parallel fed 200 amp panels for a 400 amp service so I needed two protectors. no big deal... I installed one today, I didn't opt for the $25 flush mount cover, could add it later if desired. I just cut it into the paneling. The second one will mirror the first one, to the right of the other panel. (photos below) I drilled through the stud and cut a knockout hole directly in line with the top breaker position which keeps the leads short as suggested. I used a rigid coupling and a short nipple to connect the unit to the panel and wired it to a new 50 amp breaker as instructed.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post