SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Weird police shooting.

"…
He is the first Somali-American officer to work in Minneapolis' 5th precinct, reported KSTP. The officer has been suspended while an investigation into the shooting continues.

Ms Damond was shot dead in an alleyway behind her home about 11.30pm on Saturday night, while wearing her pyjamas, reports say.

She had called 911 to attend a noise and possible assault in the alley, and was reportedly speaking to two officers through the drivers side window when the officer in the front passenger seat shot her through the drivers side door. …"

https://www.google.com/amp/www...mond-identified.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
WTF

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable.

This couldn't possibly be a justified shooting in any way that I could imagine. And yes, I realize I'm saying that with not many facts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30282 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
REALLY weird.

At first I was thinking the cop had the gun in hand when she approached the car and had an ND, but the linked article indicates multiple shots. That may turn out to be incorrect.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Without knowing more, I'm guessing this boob had his piece out because he felt it was justified due to the nature of the call. How he came to sweep her with the muzzle with his finger on the trigger while applying enough pressure to fire it (i.e.- booger hook where it should not have been) is anyones guess.

First Somali or not, he's as good as toast.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Article I read was on these types of call's officers are required to have their body cam's on. Both were turned off. Don't know if there is audio?

Woman was from Australia.

More info needed, But.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Article I read was on these types of call's officers are required to have their body cam's on. Both were turned off.

When would they typically activate the cameras? It sounds like they were still in the car when it happened.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unbelievably tragic.

Although the body cameras were turned off, I'd hope the dash cam & audio are working, especially on an active call.

Hopefully, there are some other cameras available from nearby homeowners or businesses.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have been following this to see where it goes.

This story has layers.

Crazy if true (from the article):

"...and was reportedly speaking to two officers through the drivers side window when the officer in the front passenger seat shot her through the drivers side door."

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Nothing good is going to happen from this for the officer involved. It sounds career ending at best. The BCA is under a lot of scrutiny and pressure to get this right and I hope they do.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Nothing good is going to happen from this for the officer involved. It sounds career ending at best. The BCA is under a lot of scrutiny and pressure to get this right and I hope they do.

Jim

Have you seen the demographics involved?

----------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The officer in the drivers seat may be partially deaf now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Article I read was on these types of call's officers are required to have their body cam's on. Both were turned off.

When would they typically activate the cameras? It sounds like they were still in the car when it happened.

A possible assault call. Probably when you get there. And definitely when a person appears. Just a guess.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to see the Officer's storyline.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

Jim

Have you seen the demographics involved?

----------------------

Do you think demographics should play a role in this case? Really?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is messed up. He shot across his partner? Maybe multiple times? Through the door?
Sounds like a awful negligent discharge.

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the officer hasn't been charged yet.................

As for body worn cameras, their application is a Pandora's box. My agency finally said 'fuck it, turn them on EVERY TIME you're dispatched to EVERY call, keep it on until you get there and anything confrontational is over'. Even with that directive, depending on the rest of the circumstances ours may have been permittedly turned off at the point we were talking to a complaintant through a car window.

I'm interested in hearing the agency's statement...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you think demographics should play a role in this case? Really?

Jim

Your sarcasm meter is not calibrated properly.

(or maybe mine isn't)

-------------------------

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
No statement from the agency?

This is how Ferguson started.

That won't happen this time, but you would think that agencies would have learned that you need to get out in front of stories like this or all kinds of bad information starts circulating.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Every article has about 3 lines of what unnamed sources said happened, void of any actual detail, then 10 paragraphs about the woman.

It's Monday...I can understand the shooting officer declining a statement, but one would expect the other officer to have given his version by now. That dept needs to come off some details.

I'd be in jail right now...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post