SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think demographics should play a role in this case? Really?

Yep.

This is getting a LOT of attention here in Minneapolis. I will be watching to see if his acceptance to the force was in part due to political pressure from the mayor to get a Somali police officer in Minneapolis.

The officer was the first Somali to join the MPD and the mayor was GIDDY when she got to introduce him. (Minneapolis/St. Paul has the largest Somali population in the country)

This link talks about him and the policy regarding body cameras:

http://www.startribune.com/min...dentified/434975623/

In Minneapolis, police officers are required to wear body cameras any time they could "reasonably anticipate" they will need to record an incident, but the cameras are not running at all times. The officers aren't supposed to unnecessarily surveil people behaving legally, so they must turn the cameras on manually to start recording, according to department policy.

The policy explicitly specifies that officers record in certain scenarios, such as during a traffic stop, any contact with criminal activity or if a supervisor orders the officer to record. But other cases give deference to the officer's judgment, such as when the officer is talking to a crime victim, witness or suspect and believes it's appropriate to record the interaction.

This link gives a bio on the officer:

https://heavy.com/news/2017/07...cer-somali-mohammed/

The victim was talking to the driver and Noor shot her across the driver's body and thru the door.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Although the body cameras were turned off, I'd hope the dash cam & audio are working, especially on an active call.

From what little I've read, the dash cam was on but didn't capture the incident.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Nothing good is going to happen from this for the officer involved. It sounds career ending at best. The BCA is under a lot of scrutiny and pressure to get this right and I hope they do.

Jim

Have you seen the demographics involved?

----------------------

Blonde female Caucasian from Australia. Moved here recently to get married. I believe the husband to be was out of town at the time but one of them had a child (I think teenager) that was nearby at the time.

Minneapolis better hunker down for the Australian-American riots to follow.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Although the body cameras were turned off, I'd hope the dash cam & audio are working, especially on an active call.

From what little I've read, the dash cam was on but didn't capture the incident.

Certainly there would be audio, though. Right?

And just a thought, but how difficult would it be to rig up a system that would automatically turn the body camera on whenever the officer draws his weapon? I would think something like that could be done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would think so, might be the best record of the event too...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too many foolish errors. This Officer Noor is one of many things:

Ignorant

Poorly trained

A rogue cop

Criminal

Another EOO individual who was picked for the job based on race, religion, and nationality rather than competence.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

I would think so, might be the best record of the event too...

I doubt it was activated. Almost all in-car camera systems are either activated by lights and siren or manually pushing a button. They don't just record and retain video or audio without some command to do so.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
No film of this one, they are saying. Fox News.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Some facts would be nice. Right now there's a void of anything meaningful other than officer fired across the interior of the car, passed his partner, and killed the 911 call who was talking to the officers through the driver's side window?

That isn't facts as much as it is a summary.

Facts and not quick calls pegging this a a bad shot, career ending and all that. Maybe some facts would be helpful unless they are just trivial annoyances.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
There is definitely something wrong when an LEO shoots across his partners chest multiple times because he was afraid for his life of an Australian woman in her pajamas.

The whole thing is full of fail, with plenty enough questions of Mr. Noors' competence. The woman was clearly not a threat by everything we are seeing on the local news. Sad. Just sad.

And others are correct, we have the largest Somali population in the country. His hiring could very well have been politically motivated.

Besides, it's not like she was a hostile Canadian, or something.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I've seen several articles on this, and the only odd think I saw popup was the fact she was anti-gun, for whatever that's worth.
quote:
Ms Damond had a well-known stance against guns, and there was no way she would have been armed on Saturday night, her friend Hannah, 21, told the paper.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
The woman was clearly not a threat by everything we are seeing on the local news. Sad. Just sad.

Have they released the officer's statement locally? I'm not seeing it.

I don't know how you can reach that conclusion without knowing what the officer has to say...Was she holding something in her hand? What was she saying? What did the officer who was driving have to say?

What if the officer driving thought he saw something in her hand and started yelling 'Gun' and the other officer had his weapon out and thought he was shooting someone who had threatened the officer? There was an assassination just last week where someone walked up to a police car and just shot the officer.

Until the statement and any audio is released, yeah it looks bad, but you can't really conclude what happened based on what's out there.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
The woman was clearly not a threat by everything we are seeing on the local news. Sad. Just sad.

I don't know how you can reach that conclusion without knowing what the officer has to say...Was she holding something in her hand? What was she saying? What did the officer who was driving have to say?

What if the officer driving thought he saw something in her hand and started yelling 'Gun' and the other officer had his weapon out and thought he was shooting someone who had threatened the officer? There was an assassination just last week where someone walked up to a police car and just shot the officer.

Until the statement and any audio is released, yeah it looks bad, but you can't really conclude what happened based on what's out there.

I'm not going to play "What-If" games today. But you are right about not having all of the facts. The local news calls it "an Officer involved shooting". They give no reason for it to be warranted.

Even with the P. C. shooting, there was more evidence presented right away. I find the silence that has gone on for two days troubling.

H&K-Guy

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:....

Jim

Should they, or will they. Two very different questions. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even with the P. C. shooting, there was more evidence presented right away. I find the silence that has gone on for two days troubling.

H&K-Guy

That's my main issue at this point. Exactly what happened at Ferguson. Nothing from the agency for like 3 or 4 days - by that time an entire legend had been built that many still believe today. They need to get out in front of this and issue a statement.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Certainly. The lack of facts on either side only support whatever narrative your default might be. The woman very well could have been off her meds crazy and pointing a gun at the officer. The officer could have been bumbling fucking idiot that should have never been a cop and could have shot her because he had his gun pointed in the wrong direction and his finger on the trigger. We have absolutely no facts, Beyond she was shot by him.

My expectation is the latter, just so we can get that out there and nobody tries to say I'm defending him because he's a cop. But the stark lack of any explanation from the police department after the recent years' lessons is a bit shocking.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

H&K-Guy

That's my main issue at this point. Exactly what happened at Ferguson. Nothing from the agency for like 3 or 4 days - by that time an entire legend had been built that many still believe today. They need to get out in front of this and issue a statement.

We are in agreement. This Kare 11 News Article is just not that forthcoming.

H&K-Guy

posted Hide Post
Oh to be a fly on the wall at Police HQ / City Hall... CYA mode in hyper-drive no doubt.

My sympathies to the family.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:....

Jim

Should they, or will they. Two very different questions. Roll Eyes

You're right, I was just thinking that there is no way it should be an issue in this case regardless of the demographics involved. With the BCA leading the investigation, hopefully the city pols will have no sway on the outcome.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just wonder if there is a training officer somewhere thinking to himself while he shakes his head, "I fucking told them so"...

-JALLEN