SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:....

There will be no admission of guilt on the behalf of those truly responsible. Until crime forces the citizens of the city to give a shit, the cycle continues.

You and I live in the same city, and the daily news cycle on local TV continually reports the same things happening over and over in a certain area of the city; and people wonder and bemoan why nothing changes. Your statement rings true for everywhere. Frown

In college they teach students how to get higher scores on multiple choice exams -- review the problem and possible answers, eliminate one possible answer as very unlikely, put your best mind on the remaining choices. But . . . if you eliminate the correct answer, it doesn't matter how brilliant you are or how valiant your efforts, you will be wrong. Seems to me the same thing applies to Minneapolis.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Until crime forces the citizens of the city to give a shit, the cycle continues.

Those who give a shit will move out of the city.
And the cycle continues.

Think Detroit.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Noor's attorney:

Noor has no plans to talk with investigators.

The attorney wants a coroner’s report with an outside lab, saying “it would be nice to know if there were some Ambien in [Damond’s] system.”

he didn’t elaborate.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/...ds-family-statement/

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not talk to investigators? Must be a Minnesota thing.
The Garrity Rule required me to talk or be immediately fired.
My statement could not be used in a subsequent criminal trial, but were usable in an internal investigation.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I thought the Garrity Rule was the opposite - that they could not compel a public employee to give testimony that could result in their prosecution and they could not be threatened with loss of their job?

Do I have that backwards?

quote:
The U.S. Supreme Court then ruled in 1967’s Garrity v. New Jersey that the employees’ statements, made under threat of termination, were compelled by the state in violation of the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. The decision asserted that “the option to lose their means of livelihood or pay the penalty of self-incrimination is the antithesis of free choice to speak or to remain silent.” Therefore, because the employees’ statements were compelled, it was unconstitutional to use the statements in a prosecution. Their convictions were overturned.

http://www.garrityrights.org/basics.html

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bama:
I clarified the Garrity rule info.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bama:
I clarified the Garrity rule info.

Ah, that makes sense.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
To rule out Ambien?

That is oddly specific.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS...-shot-woman-48824605

A woman approached the back of a Minneapolis police car and "slapped" it shortly before an Australian woman was shot and killed by an officer, according to a search warrant filed by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

The search warrant obtained by Minnesota Public Radio doesn't specifically say that the woman was Justine Damond, but: "Upon police arrival, a female 'slaps' the back of the patrol squad ... After that, it is unknown to BCA agents what exactly happened, but the female became deceased in the alley."

News of the warrant came hours after personnel records for the officer who fatally shot Damond were publicly released Monday. The records provided some detail about the training courses the officer took but no insight into his performance on the job.

The search warrant did not say whether the slap was the loud noise Noor's partner described, MPR reported.

State authorities are investigating potential criminal charges. Noor also faces an internal use of force investigation.

a woman slapped the back of the police car

Where the shooting occurred is over 350 feet from Justine Domand's home. She was on the phone w her husband until the police arrived. He told her to stay put, but she didn't.

The most likely path she took was to follow the patrol car down the alley.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
My statement could not be used in a subsequent criminal trial, but were usable in an internal investigation.

True on the state level but the feds can use the information post garrity to prosecute you in the civil rights world. What they cant fit through the front door they can squeeze through the back...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search Warrant- for what/where?

Surely the Minneapolis PD is not requiring a search warrant from BCA. Is the warrant for Noor's home?
This case continues to twist and turn.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Big floppy clown shoes Roll Eyes

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
Search Warrant- for what/where?

One article indicated that the woman's home was searched but nothing was removed.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Noor's attorney:

Noor has no plans to talk with investigators.

The attorney wants a coroner’s report with an outside lab, saying “it would be nice to know if there were some Ambien in [Damond’s] system.”

he didn’t elaborate.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/...ds-family-statement/

This lawyer is going to try and trash this woman's character. Pretty awful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

That’s what lawyers do. It’s just one consequence of our “adversarial justice system”—an oxymoron if there ever was one. It’s nothing about truth and justice, it’s about winning the case for one’s client by almost any means.

As I’ve finally been motivated to post here, I’ll also say that once again I’m reminded of how many people have no hesitation in reaching conclusions about critical things on the basis of very incomplete, often highly-distorted information. I’ve about made up my mind that if I were ever involved in a controversial incident and had to rely on the average jury to ensure I got a fair and reasonable verdict, I’d just suck-start a shotgun and save everyone—including me—the aggravation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:As I’ve finally been motivated to post here, I’ll also say that once again I’m reminded of how many people have no hesitation in reaching conclusions about critical things on the basis of very incomplete, often highly-distorted information.

We would not be having this discussion had Noor not done exactly that in the alley that night.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

That’s what lawyers do.

And I was 100% certain that someone would reply with this very response as if I didn't know what some lawyers do. That is, make victims into villians.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:As I’ve finally been motivated to post here, I’ll also say that once again I’m reminded of how many people have no hesitation in reaching conclusions about critical things on the basis of very incomplete, often highly-distorted information.

We would not be having this discussion had Noor not done exactly that in the alley that night.

And that fact would seem to support my contention that doing things that way is not a good idea. Surely you are not suggesting that because he did things that way that it’s all right for the rest of us to do them that way as well—?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
This is the over flow that comes from the attacks on leo's.
Everything has its course .... Innocent will pay the price one way our the other.

I say "War on the criminals" accept the collateral damage..... Many say it's better to let the bad guys go if there is gonna b be even one innocent harmed.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

The search warrant obtained by Minnesota Public Radio doesn't specifically say that the woman was Justine Damond, but: "Upon police arrival, a female 'slaps' the back of the patrol squad ... After that, it is unknown to BCA agents what exactly happened, but the female became deceased in the alley."

The female became deceased in the alley?

Yeah, as if she just sort of died of natural causes or something?

What a line of garbage. No, she "didn't become deceased." The cop SHOT HER and KILLED HER.

This cop is a dirtbag. Instead of fessing up and stating he made a mistake, he and his lawyer are going to do everything possible to 'smear the victim' (thinly-veiled comments about (irrelevant) drug use) and attempt to avoid his own personal responsibility. I respect cops in general, but this guy is a real POS.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post