SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Of course not Para. Just complaining as to the degree of sentence.

Well, he hasn't been sentenced yet.

I also think there's a world of difference between being incompetent/negligent as Noor was and going out to deliberately kill someone. The law has always made the distinction in terms of penalty imposed.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Of course not Para. Just complaining as to the degree of sentence.

Well, he hasn't been sentenced yet.

I also think there's a world of difference between being incompetent/negligent as Noor was and going out to deliberately kill someone. The law has always made the distinction in terms of penalty imposed.

Degree = meaning sentence type, which has been rendered.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

OK, so are you saying someone deserves 50 years for making a terrible mistake?

If so, then drunk/distracted driving, hunting "accidents", etc all deserve the same.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
comments from a juror:

I think the prosecution’s expert witnesses really nailed it home. Longo, with his experiences being a Baltimore cop forever. When [Peter] Wold cross-examined him and said something along the lines of, “Well how would you know? You’ve never been in that situation.” And Longo started listing off at least three or four different times he came close to using his weapon. That resonated with us a lot. At that point, when the prosecution got to its expert witnesses, to me I’m not really sure what the defense was trying to do there. Their cross-examination, in our eyes, was not really all that effective.

When the prosecution rested, the defense brought out Noor and brought out their expert [Emanuel Kapelsohn]. Watching Sweasy work on those two on cross was enlightening and painful at the same time because it almost seemed like they didn’t have a plan how to answer her questions. In my opinion, and I can’t speak for everybody in that jury room, but I felt like that case was lost [for the defense] between the two experts witnesses on the prosecution side and Noor and Emanuel Kapelsohn.

Kapelsohn always felt a little off. Trying to show photos off his cell phone in the middle of testimony was probably the most embarrassing moment of the trial. Doing crime scene recreations without showing measurements, and the whole lifting the fingers and going “bang,” doing the demonstration of Noor’s weapon and Harrity’s holster was just weird. Plus, his testimony in the other case where he was arguing against almost an identical set of facts did hurt his credibility a little bit.

I’ve never been able to wrap my head around what he saw or what he heard that would make him think to fire that weapon. If he had seen a cell phone in her hand and mistaken for a gun. I couldn’t necessarily say I would have acquitted him if that had happened. But it did change the dynamic for a lot of us.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/...de-the-noor-jury.php

Posts: 19493 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Now wait for all the rest of information on Noor (field training logs/reports/observations) to come out during discovery in a civil suit.

Like clockwork.

Civil rights lawsuit against Noor, Minneapolis moves forward after conviction

The day after a jury found former officer Mohamed Noor guilty of murdering Justine Ruszczyk Damond, members of the Minneapolis City Council will meet in a closed-door session to discuss what could be among the largest police-misconduct payouts in the city’s history.

Damond’s family has filed a $50 million civil rights lawsuit against Noor, the police department and the city alleging unreasonable use of deadly force, improper training and a conspiracy to cover up the shooting on part of Noor and his fellow officers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Now wait for all the rest of information on Noor (field training logs/reports/observations) to come out during discovery in a civil suit.

Like clockwork.

The day after a jury found former officer Mohamed Noor guilty of murdering Justine Ruszczyk Damond, members of the Minneapolis City Council will meet in a closed-door session to discuss what could be among the largest police-misconduct payouts in the city’s history.

Damond’s family has filed a $50 million civil rights lawsuit against Noor, the police department and the city alleging unreasonable use of deadly force, improper training and a conspiracy to cover up the shooting on part of Noor and his fellow officers.

Only when people are personally but with the lawsuit settlement will it ever change. The city will settle for 1/2 of this and the taxpayers will take it in ass, again.

Posts: 4733 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Like clockwork.

Only when people are personally but with the lawsuit settlement will it ever change. The city will settle for 1/2 of this and the taxpayers will take it in ass, again.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Any elected federal, state, county, city or municipialty public official or public "servant" such as police, fire, ems, etc. should, as a requirement of employment, be mandated to carry the equivalent of malpractice insurance, funded by the individual, not the branch of government they are employed by, to guard against this sort of thing. I am disgusted that the taxpayers take it in the shorts whenever there is a case like this.

There is no reason *anyone* involved in this should get off (essentially) "scot-free."
Sure, some may lose their job...but there is no hit to them financially, and that is what it is going to take to reform this. Cripes, any other professional has to be licensed or bonded or insured...why is this any different?

Posts: 2925 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Any elected federal, state, county, city or municipialty public official or public "servant" such as police, fire, ems, etc. should, as a requirement of employment, be mandated to carry the equivalent of malpractice insurance, funded by the individual, not the branch of government they are employed by, to guard against this sort of thing.

Absolutely agree. Medical professionals carry liability insurance and the rates are based on any history of past claims, complaints, etc. Some of these guys would be forced out by the premiums if they made a habit of having a disproportionate number of complaints. I know zero is not realistic in that line of work, but certainly there is a "normal" number to be expected.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Today I learned there is a Somali American police Association.

Of course there is.

Somali-American Police Association Calls Noor Conviction ‘Institutional Prejudice’

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
One of the key players in the lawsuit will be former Minneapolis police chief Janee Harteau, who wholeheartedly embraced the Somali immigrants and went out of her way to specifically voice support for area Muslims throughout her tenure.

She even went so far as to encourage female employees to wear a hijab on a department-wide “Wear a Hijab Day” (she wore one).

It was under her watch that Noor was hired, and Ms. Damon’s family will have a field day going through Noor’s personnel and training records to see if he got a “pass” through the academy and field training in the interest of diversity, and whether then-Chief Harteau had an active hand in the process.

It is no small piece of irony that in 2017, Harteau was named as one of Fortune Magazine’s “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.”

Posts: 4489 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Not only the former Chief, but the former mayor (Betsy Hodges) as well. These can be the results you get when you 'tweak' the standards to let the unqualified play too:

Filing: Mohamed Noor raised red flags among psychiatrists, training officers

Fast-track training put officer Mohamed Noor on Minneapolis police force

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Hmm....saw this coming: this is just one of the incidents that asshat did (this is from the above article Ronin1069 linked):

Roughly two months before the shooting, Noor put a gun to the head of a motorist pulled over for a minor traffic stop, according to the prosecution filing. Noor stopped his squad on 24th Street west of Nicollet Avenue and got out "with his gun pulled and pointed downward," the court document read, citing squad car video. "When the defendant approached the driver's side of the stopped car, the first thing he did was point his gun at the driver's head." Noor's partner approached the stopped vehicle on the passenger side, also with his gun out of its holster but not pointing directly at the driver, the filing read. An initial police incident report explained the reason for the stop: the officers saw the driver give the finger to a bicyclist and then pass a vehicle on the right without signaling.

The stuff the PA put out from training records will be the very minor shit that was documented. Just enough to help their case but not enough to embarrass the city.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well, it appears they have settled.
So no civil suit or release of training records.

quote:
The city of Minneapolis will pay the family of Justine Ruszczyk Damond a record $20 million to settle a lawsuit over her July 15, 2017 shooting death by a Minneapolis police officer, city officials announced Friday.

Mayor Jacob Frey announced the agreement solemnly at a hastily organized press conference Friday, flanked by City Council members, the city attorney and the police chief, all of whom had been in a closed-door meeting this morning. The deal requires the family to donate $2 million of its settlement to the Minneapolis Foundation’s Fund for Safe Communities, a program set up to fight gun violence in the city, Frey said - Required? Seriously?

“This is not a victory for anyone, but rather a way for our city to move forward,” said Frey. “And I do believe we will move forward together.”

The payout is more than quadruple the previous record for a police-related settlement in the state of Minnesota.

Activists have alleged the case has been treated differently than other police shootings because the officer, Mohamed Noor, is a black man and Damond was a white woman.

Asked if the racial or gender dynamic played a role in the decision, Frey said, “Every claim and every case brings forward a different set of circumstances.”

The Ruszczyk family filed its lawsuit in July 2018, asking for $50 million in compensation for the violation of Damond’s constitutional rights. The suit claimed Noor and his partner conspired to cover up evidence by not turning on their body-worn cameras and later hiding behind a “blue wall of silence.”

Noor was fired from the force and convicted of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter by a Hennepin County jury on Tuesday.

Frey said the trial made clear that the officer did not face a threat before using force. This fact, combined with the unprecedented murder conviction, influenced the high settlement, the mayor said.

Earlier Friday, the City Council voted unanimously to approve the settlement, and Frey said he planned to sign off on it promptly.

Legal settlements are typically paid out of Minneapolis’ self-insurance fund.

In comparison, the city paid $4.5 million in 2007 to Duy Ngo, a police officer shot by another officer who mistook him for a fleeing suspect. In another case, it paid $3 million to the family of David Smith, who died after a struggle with police at the YMCA in 2010. The city of St. Anthony paid $3 million to the mother of Philando Castile, who was fatally shot by police during a traffic stop in 2016.

This is a developing story. Check startribune.com for updates.

Minneapolis agrees to pay $20 million in death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond
http://www.startribune.com/min...yk-damond/509438812/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Boy, that "diversity" is some expensive shit, huh?

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Enriching the hell out of them.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Putting taxpayer money in diverse places, like Australia and some attorney's bank account.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is when MPDs liability carrier and their attorneys saw the records, emails and other documents that bring the truth to light, they thought that 50 million was a cinch for the victims family.
20 million to make it disappear.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My guess is when MPDs liability carrier and their attorneys saw the records, emails and other documents that bring the truth to light, they thought that 50 million was a cinch for the victims family.
Yeah for them to fork over $20M without even a court hearing is telling, esp when compared to the other low single digit awards previously.

AAAAAND I'd venture to say the MSP liability insurance will be going WAAAAY UP!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 Million would have paid for sufficiently trained psychologists to screen applicants. This is an article from 2017 that was written before the trial.

The Minneapolis Police Department reduced the psychological tests it gives to new recruits from five to one as it relied in recent years on a psychiatrist with no experience in law enforcement psychology, according to a report broadcast Thursday.

The department’s recruiting and training practices have been questioned since an officer killed an unarmed 911 caller when she approached his squad car in the alley behind her home this summer. Officer Mohamed Noor has refused to say publicly why he shot Justine Ruszczyk Damond, and the county attorney is still deciding whether to charge him. The fallout led to the resignation of then-police Chief Janee Harteau.

There is no way to know whether Noor’s psychological makeup played a role his decision to pull the trigger, or whether any screening could have detected such an inclination, according to APM Reports, an investigative unit of Minnesota Public Radio. But the protocol used with Noor and 200 other new officers during the past five years is less extensive than in comparable cities and other Minnesota agencies. It’s also less rigorous than national best practices.

Starting in 2012, Minneapolis eliminated four of the five psychological tests it was using, even though a Justice Department study found that some of the tests had been effective. And over the past 15 years, APM Reports found, Minneapolis has fired some of the most qualified police psychologists in Minnesota, then turned to a succession of mental health professionals with little or no experience in the specialty.

LINK: https://www.twincities.com/201...ine-damond-shooting/

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

$50 million + another $150 million in punitive damages if it want to trial. The fact that they settled that quickly for that amount tells me that the field training records are really really bad. What was referred to in the other article were probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post