SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The last of the 40 or so officers called before the grand jury testified on Tuesday (last week)

Mohamed Noor, has refused to speak with state investigators, and declined to testify before the grand jury

Matthew Harrity, Noor’s partner the night Damond was killed and the only other living witness, was twice called before the grand jury

http://www.startribune.com/ten...stigation/475458363/

On Wednesday, Freeman said that he has no timetable for his decision.

Freeman reiterated that he, not the grand jury, would make the final decision about whether to charge Noor.

Posts: 19493 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If he waits long enough, all the principals will have died of natural causes. Perhaps the sun itself will have gone dark.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Hey sdy, thanks for always following up on these stories. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
“Mohamed Noor, has refused to speak with state investigators, and declined to testify before the grand jury.”

Like all of us, Noor has a constitutional right to remain silent under the 5th Amendment. While I respect that right, unless I’m missing something significant, I believe there’s sufficient evidence to believe a jury could convict him of manslaughter (based upon gross negligence). I’d like to know why the County doesn’t just go with that, rather than dragging their feet and accomplishing nothing.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Because he is a favored minority.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Mohamed Noor, has refused to speak with state investigators, and declined to testify before the grand jury

Locally IA would have given him and Administrative Admonishment and ordered him to speak with their investigators.

His statement couldn't have been used in any Criminal Proceedings, but they could have taken disciplinary action against him. If he had still refused to speak, which he would have likely been wise to do, they would have terminated him for cause

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Like all of us, Noor has a constitutional right to remain silent under the 5th Amendment....

I wonder what rights Ms Damond had to not be killed by a trigger happy cop? Seems those rights are less important.

But as my atty friends tell me, justice is a process, not necessarly an end result. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
“Mohamed Noor, has refused to speak with state investigators, and declined to testify before the grand jury.”

Like all of us, Noor has a constitutional right to remain silent under the 5th Amendment. While I respect that right, unless I’m missing something significant, I believe there’s sufficient evidence to believe a jury could convict him of manslaughter (based upon gross negligence). I’d like to know why the County doesn’t just go with that, rather than dragging their feet and accomplishing nothing.

Because the county does not want to prosecute him and is looking for any opportunity to drag this out as long as possible in the hopes that the media will forget about it. It would be a huge blow to the mayor and the police chief if this goes to trial and all those officers testify about how this guy should have never been a police officer.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A huge blow to the mayor and the city would have to pay out more money as well. Noor's training officers would have been questioned and probably answer that Noor was a threat to others. Then those that pushed Noor through, despite not being qualified, are too blame.

Perhaps the truth might even come out, despite the city trying everything it can to place the blame elsewhere.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster: It would be a huge blow to the mayor and the police chief if this goes to trial and all those officers testify about how this guy should have never been a police officer.

The police chief resigned and the mayor lost her reelection bid.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster: It would be a huge blow to the mayor and the police chief if this goes to trial and all those officers testify about how this guy should have never been a police officer.

The police chief resigned and the mayor lost her reelection bid.

That's good news! I would bet the current city government would still like for this to go away. A conviction would go a long way toward forcing a huge settlement or risking a huge judgment in a civil case.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“A federal judge ruled Monday that Minneapolis Police Officer Mohamed Noor will not have to answer questions about the shooting death of Justine Damond in a separate court battle that also involves allegations of police misconduct. …”

http://kstp.com/news/federal-j...parate-case/4822887/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Will this ruling be precedent for all officers, or just those from Somalia?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Officer Mohamed Noor charged with murder in Damond case

MNSIG link above

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This should get interesting, especially if his training records come out.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
This should get interesting, especially if his training records come out.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if they do a plea deal. I wonder what the prosecutor is willing to settle for to not have to fight this out in court.

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
^^^^^

That may be the best outcome. I've never thought the cop went out to kill someone that night. I think he was a shitty cop, hired for the wrong reasons. If he is held accountable through firing, perhaps a short sentence and the department's policies are scrutinized, justice will be served IMO.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^

That may be the best outcome. I've never thought the cop went out to kill someone that night. I think he was a shitty cop, hired for the wrong reasons. If he is held accountable through firing, perhaps a short sentence and the department's policies are scrutinized, justice will be served IMO.

not for the victim.

I'd like to see a full trial, see his training records, and I'd like to see the push to hire people who shouldn't be in positions stopped.

Then let the jury set his prison time.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Ruszczyk family attorney Bob Bennett confirmed to MPR News that Noor is facing a third-degree murder charge as well as a manslaughter count.

County Attorney Mike Freeman is expected to address the matter at 2:30 p.m.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/...booked-jail-ruszczyk