SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Unbelievable.

This couldn't possibly be a justified shooting in any way that I could imagine. And yes, I realize I'm saying that with not many facts.

Your legs tired?

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No details have been released but all I can think of is an accidental discharge. The department hasn't relaxed any standards so until some details are made public, it's a guessing game.

The problem with that is that she was shot multiple times according to the initial report. That pretty much eliminates an ND.

Jim

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it's this. The media always gets the facts wrong. Always. Especially initial reports. Always.

So who knows if in fact she really was shot multiple times or just once.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
Too many foolish errors. This Officer Noor is one of many things:

Ignorant

Poorly trained

A rogue cop

Criminal

Another EOO individual who was picked for the job based on race, religion, and nationality rather than competence.

Add another category: straight up Idiot who was pushed through the Academy and Field Training despite being an idiot just so the City and PD can show they are PC and diversity is a wonderful thing (see my comment below on ‘first whatever”). The only way you will find out how he did in the academy and Field Training is if a civil suit goes to court. The rank and file officers will talk.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I just wonder if there is a training officer somewhere thinking to himself while he shakes his head, "I fucking told them so"...

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner. I can almost guarantee the training officer and his sergeant kept their copies of his training evaluations. Me and an FTO were overruled twice on trainees, we said they both needed much more training and supervision. The bosses overruled us and put the trainee into the next phase where they failed miserably within a week. The Bosses’ only comment, ‘Yep, you were right.”.

quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I find the silence that has gone on for two days troubling.
H&K-Guy

Two reason for this:

1. This is a WTF happen investigation and the only one who can really tell what happened is the officer who shot the lady. Ballistics and statement from the other officer can tell you what happened, but only the officer who shot can tell you why it happened and he may not be giving any statements or has given conflicting statements.

2. The second explanation is because this officer was the “first whatever”. Firsts that are pushed through the system are usually held to much lower standards and that fail to met those standards. City Hall and the Chief’s Office are sanitizing all of the officer’s paperwork, making sure there isn’t anything in his file saying “this trainee is a straight up idiot.”

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Unbelievable.

This couldn't possibly be a justified shooting in any way that I could imagine. And yes, I realize I'm saying that with not many facts.

Your legs tired?

Is that a pick up line? Have I been running through your mind all day?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
In the old days, when we were taught the 'Force Continuum', lethal force was only introduced in situations where you were in fear of equal force. The escalation of force is determined largely by the other party.

According the situation, as we have it, the Australian woman would have to have escalated the situation to that level.

Either that, or Mr. Noors is an idiot.

Maybe Chongo, or some other respected SigForum LEO, can correct me.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
In the old days, when we were taught the 'Force Continuum', lethal force was only introduced in situations where you were in fear of equal force. The escalation of force is determined largely by the other party.

According the the situation, as we have it, the Australian woman would have to have escalated the situation to that level.

Either that, or Mr. Noors is an idiot.

Maybe Chongo, or some other respected SigForum LEO, can correct me.

H&K-Guy

See my post above.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow. I'd like to know what really happened.

And as an aside, if this was a diversity hire and not based on merit, mgmt heads need to roll. They need to be held accountable for these decisions. But for their policy, if the women was entirely innocent, an person is dead that shouldn't be.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Wow. I'd like to know what really happened.

And as an aside, if this was a diversity hire and not based on merit, mgmt heads need to roll. They need to be held accountable for these decisions. But for their policy, if the women was entirely innocent, an person is dead that shouldn't be.

The Minneapolis Police Chief, Janee Harteau, happens to be openly gay. The LEO in question, Mr Noors, happens to be Somali. It shouldn't matter.

But sadly, many times it does.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
It's relatively easy to imagine a completely plausible scenario where it could be justified... just as easy to imagine s scenario where it is not. Those are both facts. Also a fact: all media reports should be taken with no small dose of suspicion.

I'm not saying it was justified, not saying it wasn't justified. Just saying wait and see.

And also just saying the agency should have done a better job of getting in front of it no matter how it went down, from justified to blatant murder and everything in between.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect the politicians will cover everything up, and blame it on the officer. The pols almost never take the blame, and do not lose their jobs. Most likely, as mentioned above, the officer should have never made it through training. Either a ND, or an idiot for an officer.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
to jsbcody:

I think you have laid it out quite well. Thank you.

It may be there, real or contrived, but I really don't see any plausible scenario that would exonerate the shooter.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
It's relatively easy to imagine a completely plausible scenario where it could be justified... just as easy to imagine s scenario where it is not. Those are both facts.

Well, I may have a limited imagination, but I find it at least a BIT easier to come up with unjustified scenarios.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If the victim was a women in pajamas who called cops to report a suspected assault, I'm probably leaning toward unjustified as default.

Although I'm not sure why she's outside in pajamas if she's suspecting there is an assault occurring nearby....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No details have been released but all I can think of is an accidental discharge. The department hasn't relaxed any standards so until some details are made public, it's a guessing game.

The problem with that is that she was shot multiple times according to the initial report. That pretty much eliminates an ND.

Jim

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it's this. The media always gets the facts wrong. Always. Especially initial reports. Always.

So who knows if in fact she really was shot multiple times or just once.

There are 2 facts that have immerged from people that were there. It was that the cop in the passenger seat did the shooting and that there were multiple shots fired. These, coming from witnesses at the time. Fox has a video with interviews of people there at the time.

All else seems to be speculation.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's relatively easy to imagine a completely plausible scenario where it could be justified...

You'll have to enlighten me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It's relatively easy to imagine a completely plausible scenario where it could be justified...

Folding pocket knife concealed in a hand suddenly unconcealed while talking at the window and thrust at the driver. Totally justified to shoot that person.

Lady talking at window grabs something from the drivers belt. Easily justifiable given some parameters.

Heck, even a ball point pen jabbed in my partners neck could elicit a justifiable deadly force response from me.

Maybe it's easier for me to think situations where it could be justifiable as a LE firearms and less lethal options trainer. I dunno.

I'm just saying it's easy to think of a scenario where it could happen. I'm not saying it did. I'm passing zero judgement about the justifiableness one way or the other, just trying to get some of you all the widen your vision a little.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to think that if she had a weapon of any type they would have commented on that immediately.

The delay is all about 'getting our spin on the story straight' IMO.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
It's relatively easy to imagine a completely plausible scenario where it could be justified... just as easy to imagine s scenario where it is not. Those are both facts.

Well, I may have a limited imagination, but I find it at least a BIT easier to come up with unjustified scenarios.

Sure it's easier... practically all of life would be a scenario where shooting her isn't a correctvand proper response.

See my post above for quick examples of the opposite. Once you have read that you'all likely go "oh, ok. I see how it might happen" and maybe even come up with a possibility yourself.

If you don't train officers to defend themselves I can totally see how your mind might not jump to non-obvious answers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Folding pocket knife concealed in a hand suddenly unconcealed while talking at the window and thrust at the driver. Totally justified to shoot that person.

Lady talking at window grabs something from the drivers belt. Easily justifiable given some parameters.

Heck, even a ball point pen jabbed in my partners neck could elicit a justifiable deadly force response from me.

Maybe it's easier for me to think situations where it could be justifiable as a LE firearms and less lethal options trainer. I dunno.

I'm just saying it's easy to think of a scenario where it could happen. I'm not saying it did. I'm passing zero judgement about the justifiableness one way or the other, just trying to get some of you all the widen your vision a little.

That is a possible scenario, but exceedingly unlikely in this case.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When things like this happen,the real story always comes out later. Para is right in discouraging breaking news on any shootings.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post