SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.....called this one a few pages ago. Said there was going to be Field Training Officers and others who kept copies of their paperwork on this POS.

The ones who signed off on this asshole may end up losing all their stuff as this is the type of case that old punitive damages is used to go after the chief assholes/culprits.

Usually what happens to these types in larger departments, they hook up with a higher up's clique and they are moved off the streets to a position at the station where they don't have to do any police work, or any work at all. Cops refer to them as "Station Bitches" and "House Cats". After doing "excellent" work in their made up position, they get promoted to some staff position where they tell the working police how to do their jobs.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This article is a pretty good read.

“Minneapolis policeman and Somali diversity hire Mohamed Noor shot and killed Justine Damond last year, which instantly became an international story and about which Minnesotans had to turn to the foreign press in order to stay fully informed. Noor is currently on trial for this murder and in court proceedings last week we learned astounding facts about the depravity of those who insist on “diversity” regardless of the price. Diversity literally cost this woman her life. We’ll be called names if we notice and object…”

http://alphanewsmn.com/mohamed...dying-for-diversity/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Stuff like this which we see so often is why some law abiding citizens don't trust the police anymore. Sometimes the good LEOs on this board get upset and vigorously defend the LEO profession. But I don't think that's the point. How can we not be upset about our own interactions with LEOs given how often this type of thing happens ? I and all of us support the LEO profession generally, but if I don't know which type of officer is approaching me, I have every right to fear him because of the resulting probablity he might be a bad hire, kills me for any stupid reason that pops into his crazy head. If he's a good LEO with good pre-hire quals, good training, and hasn't become mentally ill from the job itself over time, then I don't have to worry about what he's thinking becuase I know I'm not going to get shot. So on this basis I think these bad shootsd are entirely the fault of LEO management for hiring them, followed by the officers and managment together who fail to fire them for incompetence. It's apalling that LEO brass consistently hires bad people. It's their fault and they deserve most of the criticism regardless of how good they are themselves, because remember that's not the pont. I don't see how it is justifiable for any reason. So when a LEO stops you for a traffic ticket or a mistaken identity felony arrest, you have no way of knowing if you have a good officer or a bad one. If the good LEOs don't protest and weed out the bad ones, if LEO brass doesn't fire the bad ones, if LEO brass continues to hire shitheads for any reason, the fault is on LEO management and officers alike, for hiring them in the first place followed by failure to fire them. And if I don't see positive changes in these practices, why shouldn't I be aprehensive ? I just hope the next officer that walks into my house because he thought it was his house doesn't shoot me before he learns I'm not a thread and he's in someone else's house. That is a bad hire and LEO management and the officers who submit themselves to that management are doing wrong for not fixing it. You can't deny it. Until the LEO profession fixes these consistently bad hiring practices, it is entirely the fault of the LEO profession itself. Hire good people and this problem disappears. But I guess that isn't the point you say ? I think you're wrong.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:hat is a bad hire and LEO management and the officers who submit themselves to that management are doing wrong for not fixing it. You can't deny it.

Oh I can deny the hell out of it.

I have been front-row seat to watching Field Training Officers straight up denying a trainee and failing them...only to have brass overrule the FTO. I know officers that have kept their own records on their trainees for this reason, officers who have refused to take further rookies, and officers that have leaked information to the media about these practices. I've known a supervisor to outright call a trainee a liar and recommend his termination during the FTO phase final...only to be overruled. I've been in meetings where officers and sergeants called out the brass on this and were simply ignored.

I've had to work with the idiots that get pushed through, and we do NOT try to pamper them and keep them on the front line...but officers don't have the ability to fire anyone, and we can't "frag" them these days, either.

I've known an officer that went nuts and created a SWAT stand-off for several hours with a gun to his head...and he got promoted less than two years later.

So don't be confused...this is squarely on the brass and elected officials. Your normal front-line officer on patrol knows who the idiots are and will avoid them as much as possible. It's not uncommon for officers to cancel their backup when it's one of these nut jobs...you worry about dealing with these idiots maybe once in your life...officers working the line have to deal with them every. single. day.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:So don't be confused...this is squarely on the brass and elected officials.

The Mayor and Chief are both gone. They hated each other and created a mess.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

I've had to work with the idiots that get pushed through, and we do NOT try to pamper them and keep them on the front line

… one of these nut jobs...you worry about dealing with these idiots maybe once in your life...officers working the line have to deal with them every. single. day.

Eek

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant defend MPD for this fiasco in any way. The entire encounter was flat out wrong.
And as firearms instructor, I had new hires that could not qualify. Like at all. How they got certified through Academy was a mystery.
All kept their jobs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:hat is a bad hire and LEO management and the officers who submit themselves to that management are doing wrong for not fixing it. You can't deny it.

I have been front-row seat to watching Field Training Officers straight up denying a trainee and failing them...only to have brass overrule the FTO. I know officers that have kept their own records on their trainees for this reason, officers who have refused to take further rookies, and officers that have leaked information to the media about these practices. I've known a supervisor to outright call a trainee a liar and recommend his termination during the FTO phase final...only to be overruled. I've been in meetings where officers and sergeants called out the brass on this and were simply ignored.

I've had to work with the idiots that get pushed through, and we do NOT try to pamper them and keep them on the front line...but officers don't have the ability to fire anyone, and we can't "frag" them these days, either.

I've known an officer that went nuts and created a SWAT stand-off for several hours with a gun to his head...and he got promoted less than two years later.

So don't be confused...this is squarely on the brass and elected officials. Your normal front-line officer on patrol knows who the idiots are and will avoid them as much as possible. It's not uncommon for officers to cancel their backup when it's one of these nut jobs...you worry about dealing with these idiots maybe once in your life...officers working the line have to deal with them every. single. day.

Fair enough, no arguments to your facts and experience. It's just frustrating as hell, in any line of work, but particularly in LEO work when innocent people or offenders that don't need to get shot die at the hand of these incompetents. With guaranteed more to follow as the direct result of hiring and keeping these bad people. I've seen this in my own line of work, but in my industry money is wasted but people don't get killed. Not a fair analogy I admit because if the nature of the work itself, but the stakes just seem so much higher for law enforcement work. It's frustrating. But I appreciate your response frank honesty from the school of hard knocks.

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
quote:

Fair enough, no arguments to your facts and experience. It's just frustrating as hell, in any line of work, but particularly in LEO work when innocent people or offenders that don't need to get shot die at the hand of these incompetents. With guaranteed more to follow as the direct result of hiring and keeping these bad people. I've seen this in my own line of work, but in my industry money is wasted but people don't get killed. Not a fair analogy I admit because if the nature of the work itself, but the stakes just seem so much higher for law enforcement work. It's frustrating. But I appreciate your response and frank honesty from the school of hard knocks.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fair enough, no arguments to your facts and experience. It's just frustrating as hell, in any line of work, but particularly in LEO work when innocent people or offenders that don't need to get shot die at the hand of these incompetents. With guaranteed more to follow as the direct result of hiring and keeping these bad people. I've seen this in my own line of work, but in my industry money is wasted but people don't get killed. Not a fair analogy I admit because if the nature of the work itself, but the stakes just seem so much higher for law enforcement work. It's frustrating. But I appreciate your response and frank honesty from the school of hard knocks from someone with your level of experience.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I cant defend MPD for this fiasco in any way. The entire encounter was flat out wrong.
And as firearms instructor, I had new hires that could not qualify. Like at all. How they got certified through Academy was a mystery.
All kept their jobs.

We had a female who could not qualify with mandatory weapons training. (.38 special, 12 gauge and .223 bolt action rifle)

Then became a firearms instructor and yes she was black.

I retired a few months later.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Another point that is scary...these people get promoted, too.

Many of the officers that are really good leave for better paying opportunities. Especially good minorities, in my experience. This leaves a pool for promotion that can be scary. This was true at my old agency, but the pay is good enough at my current one that more of the good ones stay (topped out officer at my current agency makes more than a lieutenant at my old).

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another point that is scary...these people get promoted, too.

Many of the officers that are really good leave for better paying opportunities. Especially good minorities, in my experience. This leaves a pool for promotion that can be scary. This was true at my old agency, but the pay is good enough at my current one that more of the good ones stay (topped out officer at my current agency makes more than a lieutenant at my old).

Too true. Usually the incompetent ones have a buddy at upper levels to help them turn into a resume paper tiger for promotions. It is more about if you belong to the cigar or whiskey club than how well you do your job.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Next April (assuming no more delays)? Jesus.

“Mohamed Noor to stand trial next April over shooting of Justine Damond Ruszczyk…”

https://www.google.com/amp/amp....au/article/10315482

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Interesting developments in this case.
Prosecutors seek to upgrade charges.
The claim is the shooting was intentional.

https://creepingsharia.wordpre...ended-to-kill-woman/

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I hope they're not over-charging and this DIPSTICK gets off.

From the link:
“A person acts with the intent to kill not just when they have the purpose of causing death, but also when they believe that their act, if successful, will result in death,” prosecutors wrote in a court filing. “As a trained police officer, the defendant was fully aware that such a shot would kill Ms. Ruszczyk, a result he clearly intended.”

That statement has enough wiggle room to keep a dozen lawyers busy for months.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Chances are there will be Muslims in the jury. The population is very high in the county. Chances are very high of a hung jury.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Chances are there will be Muslims in the jury. The population is very high in the county. Chances are very high of a hung jury.

So for the idiots in city hall, this would be a win-win? Their guy gets off, they can say "we tried", and it lowers the likelihood of a super large settlement with the city?

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The update on the Russian Roulette shooting of the police officer reminded me of the shooting of Justine Damond by the Officer Mohamed Noor:

POSTED FEB 15 2019 04:59PM CST
UPDATED FEB 15 2019 08:24PM CST

“Prosecutors want the jury in the upcoming trial of fired Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor to hear about Noor and partner Matthew Harrity’s response to a 911 call less than two hours before Noor shot and killed Justine Damond Ruszczyk.

Noor is facing multiple murder charges for the July 2017 shooting. According to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Noor and Harrity were responding to Ruszczyk's report of a possible assault of a woman in an alley by her house when the shooting happened. Noor shot Ruszczyk through the open window on the driver’s side of the squad car as he sat in the passenger seat.

Ruszczyk’s 911 call was p Smile laced at 11:27 p.m. on July 15, 2017 from inside her home on Washburn Avenue S. Ruszczyk told the 911 dispatcher she could hear a woman in the alley behind her house who was either having sex or being raped.

It sounds like sex noises, but it's been going on for a while and I think she tried to say help
and it sounds distressed,” Ruszczyk said. READ THE 911 TRANSCRIPT

Dispatch requested a response from Noor’s squad car 41 seconds after receiving Ruszczyk’s call. Five seconds later, Noor pushed a button to acknowledge the call had been received. While Noor and Harrity were en route, Ruszczyk called 911 again at 11:35 p.m. to report officers had not yet arrived and she was worried they got the address wrong.

At 11:37 p.m., Noor and Harrity arrived in the alley between Xerxes Avenue and Washburn Avenue. Squad car GPS data shows the officers were nearing the south end of the alley at 11:39 p.m., one minute and 54 seconds after entering the alley on the north end. At that time, Noor entered "Code 4" into the squad computer, which means the situation is under control and no assistance is needed. The squad was still parked at the end of the alley at 11:40 p.m. which, according to the prosecution’s filing, “is the last known time before the defendant fatally shot Ms. Ruszczyk.”

Approximately one hour and 40 minutes before Officer Noor shot and killed Justine Ruszczyk, he and Officer Harrity went to another call just a few blocks away from Ruszczyk’s home in response to a series of three 911 calls from a single caller requesting a welfare check on a 65-year-old woman with large suitcases who might be lost or have dementia.

Noor and Harrity arrived at 48th Street and Xerxes Avenue at 9:59 p.m. and asked dispatch to contact the 911 caller again at 10 p.m. because they did not see anyone. At 10:02 p.m. they were told the woman was last seen at a bus stop at 50th and Xerxes, which is about 650 feet from the place Ruszczyk was shot. Less than a minute later, Officer Harrity entered “Code 4” and they returned to the 5th Precinct for a dinner break.

“Asked later if he drew any connection between the call that brought him to 50th and Xerxes for a woman wandering with dementia and the call that brought him to the alley of the same block one hour and 34 minutes later for a call of a woman screaming in the alley, Officer Harrity said he did not,” the prosecution’s filing states.

“This is relevant and intrinsic evidence because it arose out of the same circumstances, completes the story of what happened that night, helps prove an element of the offense, and tends to disprove the defendant's affirmative defense,” prosecutors argue in their court filing.

So how do prosecutors connect the two responses together? In their court filing, they state:

“In both calls, within about three minutes, after having made only the most nominal effort to find citizens in distress, the defendant entered "Code 4" and cleared the scene. This is relevant to his state of mind. The fact that the defendant demonstrated no appreciable concern for a woman or women about whom there had been a total of five 911 calls in approximately two hours in the same location shows that he was acting recklessly as a police officer. His lack of investigative curiosity and indifference to citizens in need in two almost back-to-back cases demonstrates a disregard for public safety. The calls were clearly important; the first 911 caller felt so concerned for the woman's safety that she followed the woman for about three city blocks while updating dispatch, and Ms. Ruszczyk similarly called the police for an update when officers had not promptly arrived. In light of this, the urgency with which the defendant and his partner dismissed these calls suggests that he felt there was no danger to others, and certainly not himself. It therefore shows that when he shot Ms. Ruszczyk, he did so without fear, without provocation, and without any justifiable reason for using force.”
Friday was the deadline to submit pre-trial motions in the case. Noor's attorneys are asking the court to sever the count of second-degree murder charge from the counts of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges, arguing “the defense of each count requires competing defenses to the elements.”

If the judge grants this motion, it could require a second trial for the separated charges.

Noor's trial is scheduled to begin April 1. Filings from the defense indicate Noor will claim self-defense and the use of reasonable force to defend others. “
http://www.fox9.com/news/prose...completes-the-story-

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post