SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Officer Mohamed Noor charged with murder in Damond case

Actually 3rd Degree Murder (?) and 2nd degree Manslaughter.

Locally we only go down to 2nd Degree Murder before you get into Manslaughter...so I'm not completely clear on the charges.

Sounds like they are basically charging negligent homicide...which makes his decision not to speak earlier look pretty smart

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you get more serious charges than those.

Murder 1 certainly wouldn't stick, and Murder 2 probably wouldn't either.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I doubt that there’ll be a conviction if there’s even one Somali on the jury.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Jury selection could be interesting. Even in Hennepin County, the Somali population is probably only a couple percent of the total. A huge number of the refugees are kids, so the pool of potential eligible Somali jurors is fairly small.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.mprnews.org/story/...tine-ruszczyk-damond

Noor turned himself in Tuesday and faces charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the case. The murder charge is more serious and carries a longer penalty. And it's possible Noor could be acquitted on the murder charge, but still be found guilty of manslaughter.

Here's what the charges mean under Minnesota law:

Third-degree murder

This charge involves unintentionally killing someone "by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life."

If convicted of third-degree murder, Noor could face a maximum of 25 years in prison, though the presumptive sentence is 12 1/2 years. A judge could issue a sentence ranging from about 10 1/2 to 15 years.

Second-degree manslaughter

Causing the death of another person in any of the following ways is considered second-degree manslaughter. Specifically, Noor is charged under a subsection of the law that stipulates:

By the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another.

The second-degree manslaughter charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, but the presumptive sentence is four years.

Both charges carry a minimum penalty of three years imprisonment, according to the charging document.

Criminal complaint at link

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Jury selection could be interesting. Even in Hennepin County, the Somali population is probably only a couple percent of the total. A huge number of the refugees are kids, so the pool of potential eligible Somali jurors is fairly small.

But the percent of liberals could be quite high.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Without question. That's the blue metro core that ruins it for the rest of us.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Second-degree manslaughter

Causing the death of another person in any of the following ways is considered second-degree manslaughter. Specifically, Noor is charged under a subsection of the law that stipulates:

By the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another.

The second-degree manslaughter charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, but the presumptive sentence is four years.

Thank you.

I wonder how 1st degree Manslaughter differs from 2nd degree?

I guess we don't split as many hairs out on the West Coast

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
from the complaint:

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
i hope he is convicted.

his actions were a pathetic excuse for public service.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The former Minneapolis police officer charged with killing an Australian woman last July was free Thursday after posting $400,000 bail. …”

www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna858876

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many members can this group have???

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS...nds-officer-53936176

The Latest: Somali-American police group defends ex-officer

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS MINNEAPOLIS — Mar 22, 2018, 12:34 PM ET

11 a.m.

The Somali-American Police Association is defending a fired Minneapolis police officer who's charged with murder and manslaughter in the shooting death of an unarmed Australian woman.

In a statement Wednesday, the association says the charges against Mohamed Noor are "baseless and politically motivated, if not racially motivated as well."

Noor shot Justine Ruszczyk (ROOS'-chehk) Damond last July while responding to her 911 call a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her home.

The group says it believes Noor "acted in good faith and in accordance with his department's policy."

It accuses Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman of being "more interested in furthering his political agenda" than the facts of the case. The group says the charges aren't intended to serve justice, but to make an example out of Noor.

———

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
How many members can this group have???

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS...nds-officer-53936176

The Latest: Somali-American police group defends ex-officer

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS MINNEAPOLIS — Mar 22, 2018, 12:34 PM ET

11 a.m.

The Somali-American Police Association is defending a fired Minneapolis police officer who's charged with murder and manslaughter in the shooting death of an unarmed Australian woman.

In a statement Wednesday, the association says the charges against Mohamed Noor are "baseless and politically motivated, if not racially motivated as well."

Noor shot Justine Ruszczyk (ROOS'-chehk) Damond last July while responding to her 911 call a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her home.

The group says it believes Noor "acted in good faith and in accordance with his department's policy."

It accuses Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman of being "more interested in furthering his political agenda" than the facts of the case. The group says the charges aren't intended to serve justice, but to make an example out of Noor.

———

In Minneapolis, lots and lots. The mayor and police department appeasing this group was the whole reason this idiot was hired in the first place.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The Somali-American Police Association (SAPA) is a national association of Somali-American law enforcement professionals in the United States. SAPA provides a networking platform for law enforcement professionals.”

http://somaliamericanpa.org/

Mailing address: P.O Box 141548 Minneapolis, MN55414

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
So... Dispatched to an "unknown trouble" call, which is not only vague but could mean anything.
When they arrive, they cruise the alley but don't even get out of the car to investigate?
And prepare to leave after a single pass?
Had I done this on the job, my boss would have reamed me out.
And if they had parked near the alley entrance and walked into the alley, they may have been able to see the lady and verify that she was not a threat. And verified that nothing was amiss before going back into service.
This whole thing is half assed.
I think I will run up to the Ford dealer, sit in the passenger seat of an Explorer and extend my right arm to see just how close a gun would have been to the driver to test out the "dropped light bulb" statement. I guess that auditory exclusion could be a factor but I want to know just how close the gun was to the driver when the shot was fired.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Third-degree murder

This charge involves unintentionally killing someone "by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life."

I realize that charges for lesser offenses are filed all the time, but this stood out for me. If the complaint is correct, the killing was hardly unintentional, unless someone can claim, “Oh, I just meant to shoot her in the chest, not kill her.”

And I really wonder if this country will ever develop enough critical thinking in common that when some minority group spokesman cries “racism” in an incident like this that he will be howled back under the rock he came from. Things aren’t looking too good at the moment, but if it ever comes, the reaction probably won’t be limited to civil, logical discourse.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor will plead not guilty in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, arguing that he acted in self-defense when he fired the fatal shot from inside his police SUV.

According to a Wednesday court filing signed by his attorneys Thomas Plunkett and Peter Wold, Noor intends to claim that he used “reasonable force” when he shot Damond should the case goes to trial…”

http://m.startribune.com/minne...ne-damond/480845391/

Reasonable force? Seems like a stretch.

Serious about crackers

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is probably good now because all of the details will come out in court.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's a coward. A blind man can see it.

Affirmative Action and leftist pandering murdered this poor woman. Self defense??? Mad

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post