SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I hope this officer wasn't using his WML as a flashlight and ND'd. I guess that would be ruled out by the "multiple shots" report.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I hope this officer wasn't using his WML as a flashlight and ND'd. I guess that would be ruled out by the "multiple shots" report.

I had wondered about the WML aspect myself. (I am not a fan of them).

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I just wonder if there is a training officer somewhere thinking to himself while he shakes his head, "I fucking told them so"...

Since we're all (me too) in speculation mode due to the silence of the PD, I'd bet you're right. I'd say the CYA in this case may not be justifying the shooting, but justifying the hiring. This mayor has a history of animosity toward the PD and may very well have forced the hiring in the name of diversity.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Withholding comment until some real details from credible sources emerge.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
I just wonder if there is a training officer somewhere thinking to himself while he shakes his head, "I fucking told them so"...

Since we're all (me too) in speculation mode due to the silence of the PD, I'd bet you're right. I'd say the CYA in this case may not be justifying the shooting, but justifying the hiring. This mayor has a history of animosity toward the PD and may very well have forced the hiring in the name of diversity.

No kidding. I predict this is going to be a total 1984 Orwellian double-speak, word-torquing, detail glossing over briefing of epic proportions when it comes out.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I will say with some pride, I work in a relatively diverse Department and I've not been aware of any rookies since I've been here that were approved without the support of their training officers. We have something around 50% attrition from hire to completing field training. It's no joke.

My old Agency, on the other hand... You wouldn't believe the stories.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I've seen several articles on this, and the only odd think I saw popup was the fact she was anti-gun, for whatever that's worth.
quote:
Ms Damond had a well-known stance against guns, and there was no way she would have been armed on Saturday night, her friend Hannah, 21, told the paper.

Senator Feinstein has a CCW but works tirelessly to see that the rest of the citizens in CA are disarmed and don't have access to the same CCW she has.

Who knows if the deceased said one thing publically but practiced something else privately.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:Who knows if the deceased said one thing publically but practiced something else privately.

Are you suggesting she was armed? There have been statements that no weapon was recovered at the scene. If that isn't correct, I'd think the PD would be saying so.

I'd take the Chief's statement to be a heads up to the mayor. "This is YOUR problem". The two have been involved in an ongoing public feud for months.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
quote:

No kidding. I predict this is going to be a total 1984 Orwellian double-speak, word-torquing, detail glossing over briefing of epic proportions when it comes out ...

Hope you don't mind the bolding, but that is my gut feel. Much political correctness in this neck of the woods.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
No details have been released but all I can think of is an accidental discharge. The department hasn't relaxed any standards so until some details are made public, it's a guessing game.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
No details have been released but all I can think of is an accidental discharge. The department hasn't relaxed any standards so until some details are made public, it's a guessing game.

But even after details are made public, it may still have some uncertainty. As I have indicated, I don't have much confidence in the integrity of those running that show.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:....Senator Feinstein has a CCW but works tirelessly to see that the rest of the citizens in CA are disarmed and don't have access to the same CCW she has.

Who knows if the deceased said one thing publically but practiced something else privately.

That is possible, but I think there are much more likely explanations.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only argument against that is that the news reports say she was shot multiple times.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you suggesting she was armed? There have been statements that no weapon was recovered at the scene. If that isn't correct, I'd think the PD would be saying so.

Does it say she had anything in her hand? While she may not have had a weapon in her hand, what if she had something in her hand that the officer mistook for a weapon?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

The problem with that is that she was shot multiple times according to the initial report. That pretty much eliminates an ND.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:Who knows if the deceased said one thing publically but practiced something else privately.

I'd take the Chief's statement to be a heads up to the mayor. "This is YOUR problem". The two have been involved in an ongoing public feud for months.

I'm not saying or inferring that's the case. All I'm offering is that on the continum of what happened, that is one possibility.

The PD statement has ZERO facts in it and not one single person who is in a position to know has commented one way or the other on what happened. All we have is that officers rolled to a 911 call and the complaining party was shot by one of the officers.

Everyone is getting all amped up when there's nothing of substance that allows a reasonable mind to reach fair and logical conclusions.

It might be a righetous shoot. It might be a horrible shoot. Who knows but I do know that no one here or anywhere knows either.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

Does it say she had anything in her hand? While she may not have had a weapon in her hand, what if she had something in her hand that the officer mistook for a weapon?

Article said she was holding a cell phone. Maybe that's why he freaked out and shot her, mistaking it for a gun?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

I would bet anything that she likely had a cell phone with her. It was probably in her hand considering that she was in her PJ's. But I mean seriously, she was at the driver's side window. It's not as if she were 20 feet away in the shadows.

But whatever, this is all speculation.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not forming any opinion until presented with some facts. Some people here may want to follow the same line.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post