SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have been trying to find out when Noor arrived in this country. The only thing I've found is that he "came at a young age." Further, there seems to be nothing about when he became a citizen. Best I can determine is that he got "derived citizenship" when one of his parents became a naturalized citizen.
Like much of the shooting, it's hard to find things.
https://www.murthy.com/2011/05...alized-u-s-citizens/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For LEOs, lawyers, and knowledgeable persons in the Forum, while we wait for the DA to assess evidence for possible charge(s) against Noor, does he still have his passport and is free to travel?

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any updates to this mess?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Have been trying to find out when Noor arrived in this country. The only thing I've found is that he "came at a young age." Further, there seems to be nothing about when he became a citizen. Best I can determine is that he got "derived citizenship" when one of his parents became a naturalized citizen.

I said early on that I have my doubts he's a actual citizen. Had he been I'm sure it would have been loudly reported. We would have heard all about how he worked so hard to attain his citizenship or when he became a naturalized citizen but nothing has been reported on his status. Minneapolis is a sanctuary city so I'm sure policies like being required to first be a citizen before being eligible to join the police force are not taken seriously and are easily waved for advancement of diversity.

Sometimes it's the things they don't tell you.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
For LEOs, lawyers, and knowledgeable persons in the Forum, while we wait for the DA to assess evidence for possible charge(s) against Noor, does he still have his passport and is free to travel?

I would suspect that he does.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If there has not been an indictment by a Grand Jury, probably would be free to go anywhere.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

I said early on that I have my doubts he's a actual citizen. Had he been I'm sure it would have been loudly reported. We would have heard all about how he worked so hard to attain his citizenship or when he became a naturalized citizen but nothing has been reported on his status. Minneapolis is a sanctuary city so I'm sure policies like being required to first be a citizen before being eligible to join the police force are not taken seriously and are easily waved for advancement of diversity.

I share your suspicion to a degree, however the requirement is a state-level one. I'd guess the state certifying agency has less humor for such horsehockey...then again maybe not...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Went to the website for the Minneapolis police academy

"Applicants to the Minneapolis Police Department must be a minimum of 21 years of age, have a Minnesota driver’s license, and be a citizen of the United States be a citizen of the United States. Interested candidates may only submit an application during open recruitment periods. Candidates must have at least an associate’s degree or five years of continuous law enforcement or military experience to be considered for employment.
https://www.criminaljusticedeg...fficer-requirements/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It's been a month since this July 15th incident, yet not a word from the investigating authorities. I think that they're trying to craft a report that's:

A – "politically correct " (Minneapolis style)

B – somewhat credible

And they're having trouble coming up with something that satisfies both requirements.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

I share your suspicion to a degree, however the requirement is a state-level one. I'd guess the state certifying agency has less humor for such horsehockey...then again maybe not...

You underestimate the left leanings of the entire government of the state of Minnesota.
This state is run by some real looney tunes.
The only reason we have decent gun laws is due to all the sportsmen who love their guns and also vote.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
From today's Daily Mail

quote:
Minnesota police reveal they found NOTHING in controversial search of Australian yoga instructor's home carried out just hours after she was shot dead by a cop . . .

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...r.html#ixzz4proVISYA

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So they searched her goddamm house to try and pin this on the VICTIM?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
So they searched her goddamm house to try and pin this on the VICTIM?

Par for the course when someone fucks up. No personal responsibility and always blame someone else.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
So they searched her goddamn house to try and pin this on the VICTIM?

Standard procedure to get a warrant for the property and to have a look. If they didn't, that would be dereliction of duty and a terrible investigation, would it not?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably, unless it has been revoked by a judge, or determined as a condition of bail that he is not allowed to leave the county or even the state.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

Standard procedure to get a warrant for the property and to have a look. If they didn't, that would be dereliction of duty and a terrible investigation, would it not?

I don't know if you're being serious or not but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. They shot here in the alley, not her house. What would they be looking for in her house exactly and why? Just because doesn't really sound like a good reason.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
quote:

I don't know if you're being serious or not but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. They shot here in the alley, not her house. What would they be looking for in her house exactly and why? Just because doesn't really sound like a good reason.

He's serious. It would be standard protocol to do a search warrant. The warrant itself should be public and will describe what, specifically, they were looking for, and why.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's serious. It would be standard protocol to do a search warrant. The warrant itself should be public and will describe what, specifically, they were looking for, and why.

I've been wracking my brain over what evidence of a felony the affiant would have probable cause to search for in the decedent's home and in this case, I can't think of a damn thing. If this was a shooting involving an armed suspect or someone believed to have been involved in ANYTHING beyond being the reporting party, I could see some justification. In this case, its just plain strange. Confused

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've been wracking my brain over what evidence of a felony the affiant would have probable cause to search for in the decedent's home and in this case, I can't think of a damn thing. If this was a shooting involving an armed suspect or someone believed to have been involved in ANYTHING beyond being the reporting party, I could see some justification. In this case, its just plain strange. Confused

GRRRR. This is nothing more than a character assassination attempt if I have ever heard one. The VICTIM is not the one who needed to have her stuff rifled through. For those of us that are not cops, can someone fill us in on what they may have been looking for that might clear this up for us? At this point, I just imagine someone wanted a peek into her panty drawer. If I were the Australian PM, I would issue a travel ban for those coming into and out of the United States until this matter is fully resolved with answers that are factual, not just smoke being blown up everyone's asses to make an investigation go away!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
For those of us that are not cops, can someone fill us in on what they may have been looking for that might clear this up for us? At this point, I just imagine someone wanted a peek into her panty drawer.

You do realize that any evidence obtained without a proper search warrant could be thrown out in court, right? That pesky 4th Amendment always mudding up the waters.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Ever heard of suicide by cop? One thing they would/could look for is a suicide note.

Maybe some of his shots missed and ended up embedded in her walls of her house. They would want to dig the bullets out to ballistically match them to his gun. And would need a warrant to do so.

There is two examples. I'm sure they're are hundreds of other plausible scenarios.

Its obvious you dont understand how the criminal justice system works, and thats fine. But the feigned rage over something as simple as a search warrant is a bit much. We demand competent investigations by our police. Doing it by the book, and correctly, is not something to rage over.

Another thing. Getting a warrant means any possible evidence found can be admissible in court. Defense attorneys have a field day with illegally obtained evidence, as get it thrown out.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post