SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Article: "Will officer Mohamed Noor ever have to give a statement on the Justine Damond shooting?"

http://m.startribune.com/will-...-shooting/436781813/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Article: "Will officer Mohamed Noor ever have to give a statement on the Justine Damond shooting?"

http://m.startribune.com/will-...-shooting/436781813/

Well, after reading that I can probably guess that he'll wait for IA to interview him.
I didn't know about the court decision that anything he says to Internal Affairs can't be used in a criminal case.
This will just vanish in a while. There'll be people upset for a long time and the truth will never come out.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noor refuses to be interviewed. These two rookies are going to walk because, as a local defense attorney points out, he is only going to talk in front of a jury.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... now that I've moved back to Australia for a few years ... I'm only to happy to read the real news and the back story to what is reported here.

The average white caucasian Aussie in the pub formulate their opinion from ... that horror movie that is the 6 o'clock news.

Thank you forum for keeping it real ... and Para.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
Noor refuses to be interviewed. These two rookies are going to walk because, as a local defense attorney points out, he is only going to talk in front of a jury.

What would you have the justice system do? Tie him up and waterboard him? I share your frustration in not knowing the details, but plenty of people have been convicted despite their exercising the 5th Amendment. His partner seems to have given an interview. I'll remain patient.

I will tell you, this case aside, that recent events have led to law enforcement officers being significantly more reluctant to cooperate with the criminal investigation side of a shooting. Pull me in and read me my Garrity rights, I'll probably give a statement (lawyer not allowed). But I'm not giving a statement in a criminal investigation unless my lawyer tells me to and helps me prepare it. Unfortunately, our local FOP lawyers have had a significant bit of practice over the last couple of years.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:

My hope is they charge him soon.

PD can dismiss him. Then he gets treated like every other Jo Schmo in the CJ system.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For LEOs and Prosecutors: Since Noor is not cooperating, and his counsel has said he doesn't plan to allow him to be interviewed, what is gained by waiting to charge Noor? I too would like to see him charged, as he will be eventually. Might as well start the process.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Send his ass back to where he came from, where the police do shit like this every day. He'll fit right in. We don't want him or need him.

You can take the man out of the Third World, but you cannot take the Third World out of the man, and that's why this innocent woman is dead- because he comes from a place where the murder of the innocent is routine. Think I'm kidding? I am as serious as I can be. Get him out of here and send him back to the place that's obviously shaped his view of the world- Shitholia. He can murder as many people as he likes in that place. No one will notice, nor do anything about it if they did notice.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107577 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
For LEOs and Prosecutors: Since Noor is not cooperating, and his counsel has said he doesn't plan to allow him to be interviewed, what is gained by waiting to charge Noor? I too would like to see him charged, as he will be eventually. Might as well start the process.

What do you charge him with?

I've never been a prosecutor, but my hope and expectation is that when considering charges, there are facts and admissible evidence in hand to support each element of a prima facie case. This is what a grand jury is for, despite the oft heard "wisdom" that the DA can get the grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.

Bringing serious charges is serious.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

What do you charge him with?

I've never been a prosecutor, but my hope and expectation is that when considering charges, there are facts and admissible evidence in hand to support each element of a prima facie case. This is what a grand jury is for, despite the oft heard "wisdom" that the DA can get the grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.

Bringing serious charges is serious.

Start with this:

2016 Minnesota Statutes

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;

Involuntary manslaughter is causing a person’s death by your own reckless or grossly negligent actions. In this type of manslaughter, it’s the disregard for the safety of others or risk of death that makes the actions criminal, rather than any intent to harm the victim. Minnesota also views these accidental deaths as criminal, but doesn't penalize the crime as severely as an intentional killing.

---------------------------------------

Amend as necessary. Seems to me the results (the homicide of an innocent person) speak to the negligence on his part.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:You can take the man out of the Third World, but you cannot take the Third World out of the man, and that's why this innocent woman is dead- because he comes from a place where the murder of the innocent is routine. Think I'm kidding? I am as serious as I can be.

I don't think you're kidding, and I've been thinking the same thing. Riding with pistol in hand, finger on trigger and shooting the first thing that moves goes very well with sticking your AK down the street and emptying the mag at whatever happens to be down there. This guy did not grow up pheasant hunting with Grandpa. It IS a cultural thing.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't misunderstand me, for whatever the DA eventually charges Noor with, I want the evidence to be irrefutable and support the charge(s). But my question stands, for those involved in investigations like this, what evidence remains to be developed? The Australian is dead, that's not changing. The autopsy is completed, the other attending Officer had been interviewed, the bicyclist has been identified and interviewed, and Noor is not talking (don't blame him either). Yet, Noor is still being paid and employed by the Minneapolis PD. Even if criminal charges are never brought, I can't envision any scenario whereby Noor retains employment by the PD.

P.S. I saw what you did with the "ham" sandwich

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Don't know what Noor carried, but these are the Minneapolis PD handguns (quite a variety):

3-204 DUTY HANDGUNS (03/14/03) (01/27/05) (07/19/07) (02/06/12) (06/09/15)
A. New Duty Handguns Declared on or after March 1, 2015 (02/06/12) (2/08/13) (06/09/15)
1. After March 1, 2015, sworn employees shall be permitted to declare only the following handguns as new duty handguns:
Striker Platform Handguns
· Sig Sauer P320
· Glock Gen 4 17, 19 and 21
· Smith & Wesson M&P pistol
Hammer Platform Handguns
· Sig Sauer P226 and P227
· Berretta 92 Series
Hammer platform handguns may only be declared after an employee has served one full year after being sworn in to the MPD.

http://insidempd.com/get-conne...-personal-equipment/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't misunderstand me, for whatever the DA eventually charges Noor with, I want the evidence to be irrefutable and support the charge(s). But my question stands, for those involved in investigations like this, what evidence remains to be developed? The Australian is dead, that's not changing. The autopsy is completed, the other attending Officer had been interviewed, the bicyclist has been identified and interviewed, and Noor is not talking (don't blame him either). Yet, Noor is still being paid and employed by the Minneapolis PD. Even if criminal charges are never brought, I can't envision any scenario whereby Noor retains employment by the PD.

P.S. I saw what you did with the "ham" sandwich

I'm guessing they are packaging everything for a grand jury to hear, which can take a few days in itself. Or they've unearthed some deeper shit, which would be interesting, but I'd not bank on it. Remember, this is an outside agency investigating the shooting, so they don't have a vested interest in NOT charging him, but they also don't have a pressing need to rush to judgement to placate anyone. And there is the possibility, however upsetting, that the shooting was legally justifiable based on what their investigation has shown.

As far as him not remaining a cop, even if it was justified...maybe, maybe not. If he has civil service protection or some kind of union separation protection, there are many officers working today that have done nearly the same thing or even worse. I knew an officer who killed an innocent motorist due to a sympathetic grab with his non-gun hand and pulling the trigger. He was later promoted to sergeant, was in IA, and later went to another department to be a chief. Then retired to be a (horrible) magistrate. Another shot a woman through the floor of his apartment by accident and killed her. Those are just two stories from a relatively small agency.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chongo for your insight.

I Drink & I Know Things

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Send his ass back to where he came from, where the police do shit like this every day. He'll fit right in. We don't want him or need him.

You can take the man out of the Third World, but you cannot take the Third World out of the man, and that's why this innocent woman is dead- because he comes from a place where the murder of the innocent is routine. Think I'm kidding? I am as serious as I can be. Get him out of here and send him back to the place that's obviously shaped his view of the world- Shitholia. He can murder as many people as he likes in that place. No one will notice, nor do anything about it if they did notice.

Shitholia. Nice. About sums it up. Some people don't like Michael Savage, but he has always said that a country is made up of "language, culture, and borders". I agree with that statement. We have different subcultures in the US of A, and they're certainly different, but they love being Americans. Shitheads from shitholias don't. We shouldn't be letting in anyone who's not completely sold on America, her Constitution, and our way of life. Period. Overly simplified ? I don't think so.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

This is the main point of Ann Coulter's article about the shooting:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-girls-lives-matter/

In the 1990s, Somalis began to immigrate to Lewiston, Maine, in great numbers. Talk with the police chief, the school superintendent, the mayor, any official of the city or state, and it has been a great success of diversity and tolerance. Just hunky dory. They fudge numbers to hide the skyrocketing crime rate and social services being swamped.

Talk with the natives of Lewiston, who have been robbed, raped, murdered, who have seen neighborhoods turn into drug dealing centers, and you will get the real story.

The MSM functions as a 24/7 propaganda unit for the Somalis. Who are, you know, wonderful people, despite what the bigots would have you believe.... Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a good piece by Coulter. That should infuriate a bunch of people but it sounds like the truth to me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are just two stories from a relatively small agency.

Wow, those are crazy examples. Scary, so to speak.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing she followed the patrol car down the alley when it past her house. She "slapped" the back of their car to get their attention so they wouldn't drive away. A perfectly natural thing to do.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post