SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:And that fact would seem to support my contention that doing things that way is not a good idea. Surely you are not suggesting that because he did things that way that it’s all right for the rest of us to do them that way as well—?

Agreed, however our speculation about what happened has absolutely zero real world consequences. His most certainly did.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:And that fact would seem to support my contention that doing things that way is not a good idea. Surely you are not suggesting that because he did things that way that it’s all right for the rest of us to do them that way as well—?

Agreed, however our speculation about what happened has absolutely zero real world consequences.

Unfortunately, I must disagree.

Much of what gets posted on the Internet, such as “Feed him into a wood chipper” is simply blowing-off-steam hyperbole and no one takes it seriously, including the person making the comment. They simply have no real chance of ever actually occurring. The local politician who wants to have EMS stop responding to or treating opiate overdoses after a certain number has more influence than an Internet poster, but his suggestion was nevertheless still nonsense and everyone who agreed with him was either profoundly ignorant or likewise just blowing off steam.

Jumping to unfounded conclusions, however, is not just Internet fantasy. I have personally witnessed countless examples of people who do that in everyday life, and who are willing to make critical decisions such as sending people to jail on that basis. I myself just recently had a formal complaint lodged against me by someone who was acting on nothing more than rumor and hearsay, so that sort of diseased thinking that affects what people are willing to do definitely has real world consequences. They are not as great individually as killing someone without justification, but collectively they have massive effects on our society. Anyone who doubts that should stop and think for a moment about the political situation in this country, if nothing else.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, let me see if I understand correctly: An incompetent, poorly-trained, skittish (but oh so noble because he's not white and not American) Somalian Muslim "refugee" was "fastracked" (no real training) by utterly stupid liberals who love everyone but Americans, and was given a gun and the authority to apprehend, and ended up killing an innocent person who had called the police for help.

And now, the first impulse of all people in charge of that city government is to "resign".

That about cover it?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, let me see if I understand correctly: An incompetent, poorly-trained, skittish (but oh so noble because he's not white and not American) Somalian Muslim "refugee" was "fastracked" (no real training) by utterly stupid liberals who love everyone but Americans, and was given a gun and the authority to apprehend, and ended up killing an innocent person who had called the police for help.

And now, the first impulse of all people in charge of that city government is to "resign".

That about cover it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She was an Australian citizen, yes? When the people of that nation demand answers, they need to understand that this is where the mental illness of liberalism leads- Third World bullshit brought into our country. Incompetent "leaders" applying their stupid fucking nonsense unicorn philosophies to the business of running a city gov't, and hiring incompetent, unqualified people to dangerous work.

But noble, really noble Third World bullshit. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:And now, the first impulse of all people in charge of that city government is to "resign".

That about cover it?

Close, but maybe not quite in the case of the chief. The police chief was never a strong supporter of her officers, but the mayor is openly hostile. I think the chief finally had enough of the constant bickering with the mayor and refused to cover up for Noor. She was told to resign or be fired. The mayor and city council are the bigger problem. Unfortunately, none of them is offering resignation, yet.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
This lawyer is going to try and trash this woman's character. Pretty awful.

That’s what lawyers do.

And I was 100% certain that someone would reply with this very response as if I didn't know what some lawyers do. That is, make victims into villians.

Yes, it is pretty awful. The problem, and the reason for my post, is that although you may know what some lawyers do, many people simply don’t know what happens in the legal system or why until it affects them personally. Many people are also unaware that most trial lawyers (the ones I’ve known anyway) are aggressively supportive of the system. Short of having someone like Napoleon come in and take over the country, it would be impossible to ever change the legal system here, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t all understand how it works. We may have no choice but to eat that sausage when forced to, but we ought to know what’s in it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:...Third World bullshit brought into our country...

They bring their dysfunctional Third World culture here to America, impose it on others, demand we assimilate to them. Yet they very much want to enjoy a First World lifestyle, which is a lifestyle their culture could not provide. And sadly, liberals believe letting them do so is enlightened.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:...Third World bullshit brought into our country...

They bring their dysfunctional Third World culture here to America, impose it on others, demand we assimilate to them. Yet they very much want to enjoy a First World lifestyle, which is a lifestyle their culture could not provide. And sadly, liberals believe letting them do so is enlightened.

very well-said.

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Leftists support radical Muslims and Sharia because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." But the enemy of your enemy-- women, gays and lesbians-- is also your enemy.

A few years ago, I heard a chilling talk by Azar Nafisi, who wrote Teaching Lolita in Tehran. A college professor, she met with her students in secret sessions to read and talk about books that would have gotten them imprisonment or even death if done publicly.

I have a daughter. Nafisi read from letters her former students, still in Iran, have sent to her. It was very hard for me to keep my composure, thinking of this as a reality for my own daughter. Each girl was somebody's daughter.

She put up a slide of a drawing one girl sent her. The drawing was a visual answer to the question, "What is it like to live under Sharia?" (In Iran, it is de facto Sharia.) The drawing showed an eagle's claw, and inside the talons, like prison bars, a self-portrait of the struggling, trapped girl.

The most moving photograph was the group of girls as they met in secret: smiling, lovely-- brave-- girls, in jeans and shorts, tee shirts, button shirts, skirts and blouses, looking like teenaged girls just about anywhere.

This was followed by the group in their public dress: chadors-- blacked out, head to toe. No individuality, no personality, no... life.

Leftists are so indoctrinated, so ideological, they can't get this simple and obvious truth in their ditzy heads: The enemy of your enemy is your fucking enemy!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Close, but maybe not quite in the case of the chief. The police chief was never a strong supporter of her officers, but the mayor is openly hostile. I think the chief finally had enough of the constant bickering with the mayor and refused to cover up for Noor. She was told to resign or be fired. The mayor and city council are the bigger problem. Unfortunately, none of them is offering resignation, yet.

Well stated - that's my take on it as well.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leftists support radical Muslims and Sharia because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." But the enemy of your enemy-- women, gays and lesbians-- is also your enemy.

Rule #29 of "The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries":

29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Having read that the victim was "shot in the abdomen," and the shot went "through the driver's window" I have a question.
How far was she from the police car? Seems to me she'd have to be back several feet. That would reduce her being seen as a threat.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I read the search warrant. few things from it:

search warrant was for the body and the area immediately around the body

"upon police arrival a female slaps the back of the patrol squad"

how do they know that ?

"After that, it is unknown to BCA agents what exactly happened, but the female became deceased in the alley, approx. 10 to 20 ft north of 51st street"

evidence gathered:

9 mm cartridge case FC 9mm+P on ground near passenger side of squad 560

Cell phone near deceased

Bloodstain rear driver door

Latent print lift rear cargo door window

So how did BCA know a woman had slapped the rear cargo door window ? Who could have told them that other than one of the officers ?

Seems to make this even a stranger case

search warrant:

https://www.scribd.com/documen...-5100-Block-Washburn

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The collected evidence stated "cartridge case(s)", so I'm still not clear how many spent cartridges were found, or how many shots were fired by officer Noor.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
I read the search warrant. few things from it:

search warrant was for the body and the area immediately around the body

"upon police arrival a female slaps the back of the patrol squad"

how do they know that ?

"After that, it is unknown to BCA agents what exactly happened, but the female became deceased in the alley, approx. 10 to 20 ft north of 51st street"

evidence gathered:

9 mm cartridge case FC 9mm+P on ground near passenger side of squad 560

Cell phone near deceased

Bloodstain rear driver door

Latent print lift rear cargo door window

So how did BCA know a woman had slapped the rear cargo door window ? Who could have told them that other than one of the officers ?

Seems to make this even a stranger case

search warrant:

https://www.scribd.com/documen...-5100-Block-Washburn

It's been reported that a person on a bicycle observed some of the action, and is cooperating with investigators. So far, there's no info about his/her account available to the public, but that witness account is a possible source of: "upon police arrival a female slaps the back of the patrol squad".

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Body cameras "on" with any and all interactions -

http://www.startribune.com/min...y-cameras/436730873/

Minneapolis police officers must turn on their body cameras when responding to any call, traffic stop or self-initiated activity, Acting Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced Wednesday, in a key change to the city policy in the wake of Justine Damond's shooting death.

"What good is a camera if it is not being used when it may be needed the most?" Arradondo said at a Wednesday news conference, where he and Mayor Betsy Hodges acknowledged some officers have not been using their cameras enough. The policy, effective in three days, will require officers to turn on the cameras for any call for service. Under previous policy, officers were allowed more discretion on when to turn the cameras during the eight months the equipment has been in use.

"We are not passing judgment on a single officer, nor are we looking at a single event; we are responding to our communities and to recent ongoing assessment," Arradondo said. "This policy enhancement has been in process for a few months now and many officers are using their cameras a lot and as they're intended to be used. But there are some officers who are not using them nearly enough."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:....
Minneapolis police officers must turn on their body cameras when responding to any call, traffic stop or self-initiated activity, Acting Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced Wednesday, in a key change to the city policy in the wake of Justine Damond's shooting death.....

"We are not passing judgment on a single officer, nor are we looking at a single event...

Sure, I believe that. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
but that witness account is a possible source of: "upon police arrival a female slaps the back of the patrol squad".

no that can't explain it.

The search warrant material was written just hours after the shooting. The person on the bicycle wasn't found until days later.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The whole body cam policy thing is a non-issue. Any citizen contact in the line of duty, turn it on. I have to specify "in the line of duty" because if someone wants to chat in a store while you are buying a drink, there's no need to turn it on.

The ones that wanted universal deployment of body cams to police the police hate them by and large. Complaints have gone down, prosecution of criminal cases have gone up. Virtually every time I am on the stand in a prelem, the defense asks about body cam footage, and when they hear it exists you can see them squirm.

The flip side is in cases like this, or cases where legitimately no video exists, the doubt is cast. And there are legitimate reasons for the camera not to get turned on. I was down the road from an armed robbery in progress a while back. I arrived on scene quickly. I had two choices, grab a rifle, or turn on the BWC. Which would you choose? Yeah, I chose the rifle and took the guy into custody. Luckily, nothing happened that would be called into question. Batteries go dead, malfunctions happen. Not making excuses for anyone but it happens.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post