SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My son and I were eating in a cafe on the corner of a busy intersection in the middle of town just last week. We were sitting by the window looking out. A state trooper has been parked there for everyday for nearly two weeks. There is a pipeline project going on and the trucks that haul the long sections of pipe have to go through that intersection.

When one approaches the officer gets out and directs traffic until the truck clears the intersection. I watched him do this several times each time returning to his squad and wait for the next truck. BORING!!

As he is sitting in his squad I watched a guy in a pick up stop on the side street. Get out of his truck walk up to the drivers side of the troopers car and knock on the drivers window.
Yep, scared the living shit out of the trooper!
So much so that I burst into laughter and told my son about what I just seen.

Not a shot was fired and no one was killed. The trooper got out of his car and talked with the guy for several minutes and that was that.

I know it's not the same as in a dark alley responding to a call. But now this Noor story has changed several times. But when you don't give a statement for anyone to go on this is what you get.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
So now they think they are going to be "ambushed" but don't turn ANY recording devices(body cam et al) on?

Am I reading this correctly?

Good point.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
So now they think they are going to be "ambushed" but don't turn ANY recording devices(body cam et al) on?

Good point.

SPECULATION

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think most people, sitting in a car, would be startled if someone suddenly rapped on the window.

I know I have been. I know this is just an anecdote.

One wonders, since it seems like the driver should remain focused on driving and it seems plausible that if the driver felt threatened, one response would be to step on the gas.

It's still curious what the driver was doing through all this. Startled? Felt threatened at any time? Went for weapon? Stepped on the gas? Briefly startled but never felt threatened?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

That's essentially what the officer's own lawyer said, that he feared an ambush. They seem like that's what they're going to go with. So what's speculation?

quote:

“It’s certainly reasonable to assume that any police officer would be concerned about a possible ambush under these circumstances,” Bruno said. “It was only a few weeks ago when a female NYPD cop and mother of twins was executed in her car in a very similar scenario.”

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

I don't know, seems like if you were concerned about ambush, you'd have your alley sweeps on to illuminate potential threats and put yourself behind the glare. Just sayin

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The 911 Transcripts have been released:

Transcript Link

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Google 3D of alleyway the patrol unit rolled up through...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16339 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have seen (or at least I have), how social media, and then in turn, the supposed "real media" has crucified people based upon assumptions, bullshit, lies, half truths, conjecture, and rumors.

I want to wait for factual information to come out.

That is it. No other motive. Simply facts. I am not willing to burn down a city based upon internet bullshit.

As long as you (and the rest in your profession) apply this philosophy equally to everyone - from gangsta to addict to college kid to asshole to local celebrity to famous folks and everyone regular and otherwise in between - whether they've ever been in Law Enforcement or not - I will happily and unwaveringly support this point of view of yours as I wholeheartedly agree that it's the exact right point of view to have - if the truth matters. And it does and should. Just, please, for the love of all that is good, apply it equally, and treat everyone the same in such regards - in your professional capacity.

Speculation is fine, of course, but it's a separate matter entirely. The facts reign supreme, and in the absence of them we're all just guessing. That, too, is a crucial fact. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

That's essentially what the officer's own lawyer said, that he feared an ambush. They seem like that's what they're going to go with. So what's speculation?

quote:

“It’s certainly reasonable to assume that any police officer would be concerned about a possible ambush under these circumstances,” Bruno said. “It was only a few weeks ago when a female NYPD cop and mother of twins was executed in her car in a very similar scenario.”

Indeed. And one, of several, natural responses to the "was in reasonable fear of my life because of the terrible threat of ambush" line is, if you were so afraid of ambush you thought you were walking into a dangerous situation, why were all the cameras off?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I don't know, seems like if you were concerned about ambush, you'd have your alley sweeps on to illuminate potential threats and put yourself behind the glare. Just sayin

I'm not sure what an "alley sweep" is, but...

Much as trying to clear a house with a flash light tells an intruder where you are or are coming from, lighting up your surroundings when approaching an unknown situation is like a giant "Shoot Here" sign

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

quote:

Indeed. And one, of several, natural responses to the "was in reasonable fear of my life because of the terrible threat of ambush" line is, if you were so afraid of ambush you thought you were walking into a dangerous situation, why were all the cameras off?

Funny, when i'm in fear of getting shot the first thing i think about is not getting shot. The last thing I think about is turning on the damn camera so my family can see and hear my last miserable moments. Forgetting to turn the camera on is just an over sight. It happens. First they are trying to find the address, then they have to determine if this is a bullshit call or not, then they have to come up with their tactical plan on how to get closer and locate the suspect/victim all while considering fifty different polices and procedures so they don't get sosomized by the patrol captain who hasn't spent a day on the road in two decades.

Since we are speculating like CNN on bad night I will give you my take. Two newbies in a car with the most experienced one with a whole two years on the road. Wtf? Newest officer driving to the scene and handling it like it is a bullshit call. If he had been considering this as a real code-R he would have parked away from the alley and approached on foot. I think the newest officer was right as it took nearly ten minutes to get to the call and the horny copulting couple was likely long gone. The newbie decided this call sounds like a bs call and he planned to drive through and check the area. Officer Noor is a chicken shit and out of his element and when he was surprised by the loud noise he panicked and plugged the complainant nearly shooting his partner. Plenty of blame to go around. Noor and his lawyer know he screwed the pooch and they are trying to find any justification to keep Noor out of the pokey. You cant trust his lawyer as he will spin everything to help his client.

Noor is screwed unless some poor scared jury members, who can only survive because they rely on the governement to protect and take care of them, come along and give him an acquittal. By the way people who end up on juries are generally poor scared people who relay on the governemnt to take care of them. These guys weren't planning on murdering anyone. Noor certainly did just that and i hope he goes to prison for manslaughter but they weren't conspiring to commit any crime or wrong doing. Noor just fucked up. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. They just didn't turn on the cameras. Just an oversight. They didn't expect to find anything and when Noor got scared and he took the cosby kids to the super bowl he went full retard.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
The 911 Transcripts have been released:

Transcript Link

H&K-Guy

From the article:

quote:
And Quinn says given the timing and the nature of the 911 call, "a woman coming up on your car in her pajamas on a call like that is as likely to be the victim of the assault as she is to be the complainant."

That's very valid point. So if the alleged victim of the rape had been the one to run up to the car she would've been shot.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

quote:

Funny, when i'm in fear of getting shot the first thing i think about is not getting shot. The last thing I think about is turning on the damn camera so my family can see and hear my last miserable moments. Forgetting to turn the camera on is just an over sight. It happens. First they are trying to find the address, then they have to determine if this is a bullshit call or not, then they have to come up with their tactical plan on how to get closer and locate the suspect/victim all while considering fifty different polices and procedures so they don't get sosomized by the patrol captain who hasn't spent a day on the road in two decades.

Since we are speculating like CNN on bad night I will give you my take. Two newbies in a car with the most experienced one with a whole two years on the road. Wtf? Newest officer driving to the scene and handling it like it is a bullshit call. If he had been considering this as a real code-R he would have parked away from the alley and approached on foot. I think the newest officer was right as it took nearly ten minutes to get to the call and the horny copulting couple was likely long gone. The newbie decided this call sounds like a bs call and he planned to drive through and check the area. Officer Noor is a chicken shit and out of his element and when he was surprised by the loud noise he panicked and plugged the complainant nearly shooting his partner. Plenty of blame to go around. Noor and his lawyer know he screwed the pooch and they are trying to find any justification to keep Noor out of the pokey. You cant trust his lawyer as he will spin everything to help his client.

Noor is screwed unless some poor scared jury members, who can only survive because they rely on the governement to protect and take care of them, come along and give him an acquittal. By the way people who end up on juries are generally poor scared people who relay on the governemnt to take care of them. These guys weren't planning on murdering anyone. Noor certainly did just that and i hope he goes to prison for manslaughter but they weren't conspiring to commit any crime or wrong doing. Noor just fucked up. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. They just didn't turn on the cameras. Just an oversight. They didn't expect to find anything and when Noor got scared and he took the cosby kids to the super bowl he went full retard.

Dude...a Muslim shot a white non Muslim in her pajamas. If he f****d up, why didn't he f**k up against some thugs I'm sure he has had the opportunity to F**k up with.
The fact that he has a badge causes other people with badges to somehow justify how he F****d up.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

quote:

So when you're approaching a situation where you think there might be a risk of getting shot, your first reaction is to just rush in, and not to take a moment to prepare. Check.

For trained officers, part of preparing is turning on the cameras.

What the cameras tell you, compared with the story being peddled, is either that the officer (and the story) are full of it, or that the officer is incompetent AND full of it.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

SPECULATION

quote:

So when you're approaching a situation where you think there might be a risk of getting shot, your first reaction is to just rush in, and not to take a moment to prepare. Check.

For trained officers, part of preparing is turning on the cameras.

What the cameras tell you, compared with the story being peddled, is either that the officer (and the story) are full of it, or that the officer is incompetent AND full of it.

And just where did I say "rush in"? I was just trying to point out that there is a lot more going on in the car and when trying to find the location of the call then people realize. Radio comms, and trying to make heads or tails out of the crap dispatch puts out just to name a few. No one here is defending him. He screwed up and an innocent woman is dead for no other reason that Mr Noor scares easily. As I said his lawyer is going to spin this anyway he can to help his client but buying into the radio was off conspiracy is crap when the much simpler solution is present and more likely.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
how could he possible argue he was startled? She was already talking to the cop on the driver side. It's not like Noor shot after she knocked on the window.

"When a squad car arrived just four minutes later, Damond was talking to the police officer on the driver side. Moments after, the officer on the passenger side, Mohamed Noor, suddenly opened fire, killing the bride-to-be."

http://www.fox29.com/news/269075023-story

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
how could he possible argue he was startled? She was already talking to the cop on the driver side. It's not like Noor shot after she knocked on the window.

"When a squad car arrived just four minutes later, Damond was talking to the police officer on the driver side. Moments after, the officer on the passenger side, Mohamed Noor, suddenly opened fire, killing the bride-to-be."

http://www.fox29.com/news/269075023-story

Who knows what's accurate and what's not at this point? Those details seem to change depending on what article you're reading.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Something that crossed my mind.

This black officer will be charged eventually. And the racist BLM will come out spewing nonsense that he was charged "because he was black", stating a "white cop" could have been let off.

Then when he is found guilty, he will be found guilty "because he was black" while a white cop that did the same thing obviously would have been cleared by the jury.

So while the race issue is somewhat reversed in this case, they STILL will twist facts and interject their opinion and narrative, that a racist system is out to get black people. Yes, even black cops.

This case will be something to see as it plays out.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Something that crossed my mind.

This black officer will be charged eventually. And the racist BLM will come out spewing nonsense that he was charged "because he was black", stating a "white cop" could have been let off.

Then when he is found guilty, he will be found guilty "because he was black" while a white cop that did the same thing obviously would have been cleared by the jury.

So while the race issue is somewhat reversed in this case, they STILL will twist facts and interject their opinion and narrative, that a racist system is out to get black people. Yes, even black cops.

This case will be something to see as it plays out.

I'm already seeing this on facebook

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post