SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac mini repair help requested
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac mini repair help requested Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I have and will search the Google for insights, but having read many threads where MacOS expertise is evident, I thought I'd ask here...

Situation: mid-2011 Mac mini, latest OS, 1 TB SSD,16 GB RAM. While sitting at the machine, but working on my corporate laptop, the screen went to lines of blue vertically about every 6 mm, then solid blue. Weird, I thought. I turned the machine off.

Result: Boot sequence starts. Grey screen, with some logo visible. Then, a progress bar. Bar movement towards the right, then a pause. No completion.

Tools at hand: MacBook Pro, USB stick, and a reasonably competent engineer who has installed said 1 TB SSD.

Time Machine backups exist.

I'm thinking I could boot from a USB, then run drive repair?

I have no idea how to create a bootable USB stick. I found this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Before trying the USB stick, try booting in "safe mode" (hold down shift key while booting until the Apple logo comes up). This article at Apple Support has more info.

Instructions for making a boot USB are online (search for "createinstallmedia"), but you need a working Mac, and no fear of the command line to do this. Steps are:

download OS package
mount USB stick
in Terminal, as root, run the createinstallmedia script in the OS package with the thumb drive as the target
boot the thumb drive (hold down Option key while booting)

It is also possible to boot in recovery mode, format the SSD, reinstall the OS, and restore from Time Machine. There are several options for booting recovery, there is a recovery partition on the SSD, or you can netboot from Apple's servers (and choose a variety of OS versions).

Before you do any of this, make sure the original problem was not with the monitor itself.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Sounds like hardware huh? I imagine the video card is integrated to the mother board, so.... Not good. Of course the time machine backup can be restored to another machine.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Monitor works with Chromebook.

No fear of command line.

-------

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you need another mini. I have one here sitting idle. New SS hard drive. It should get you where your going.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Don’t know your MBP model, but your Mac Mini should support Target Disk Mode.
Here’s the simplified info:

If you haven’t used it previously, you connect the two computers via a firewire cable (you can also do it with a Thunderbolt cable but I’ve never done that). With the Mac mini OFF you hold down the “T” key on it’s keyboard and while keeping the key held down, start it up, continuing to hold down the “T” key. You should see a firewire symbol on a solid color appear on the mini monitor.

With the two computers connected via either a firewire or Thunderbolt cable, start your Macbook Pro laptop. You should see the Mac Mini appear on your desktop as an external hard drive would in the Mac world. You can then run repair on the external Mini drive or pull files, etc. There’s a number of things additionally you can do- do a search on “Target Disk Mode”.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Don’t know your MBP model, but your Mac Mini should support Target Disk Mode.
Here’s the simplified info:

If you haven’t used it previously, you connect the two computers via a firewire cable (you can also do it with a Thunderbolt cable but I’ve never done that). With the Mac mini OFF you hold down the “T” key on it’s keyboard and while keeping the key held down, start it up, continuing to hold down the “T” key. You should see a firewire symbol on a solid color appear on the mini monitor.

With the two computers connected via either a firewire or Thunderbolt cable, start your Macbook Pro laptop. You should see the Mac Mini appear on your desktop as an external hard drive would in the Mac world. You can then run repair on the external Mini drive or pull files, etc. There’s a number of things additionally you can do- do a search on “Target Disk Mode”.

^^^^^ Best first step. you would then run First Aid from the MBP. If errors, fixit. If unfixable it may be time for format and reinstall (if the SSD is not kaput). If First Aid reports no problems, then system hardware is suspect. New Mini on the horizon. You can pull off the saved data from the HD using Target mode so you wouldn't lose much.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not take it to an Apple store and let them fix it? You could also see if there is an Experimac store in your area, it is a franchise store and the one here in town is outstanding.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I'm thinking I could boot from a USB, then run drive repair?

I have no idea how to create a bootable USB stick. I found this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
I used to have the same Mini. Except for only having USB 2.0 ports, it does have Thunderbolt and Firewire and it is a fine little machine. I also installed an SSD and additional RAM. Several good suggestions so far, and booting from an external drive to run Disk Utility is good. But if that doesn't fix it, then...

A bootable USB install stick is invaluable to have on hand. It boots up to a basic Recovery Drive, but the difference is you have a full system install on the stick as well. Using it to do a fresh install is easy, or if you just want to reinstall the system files (don't erase your disk first and it will only refresh your OS while leaving your user data intact).

To make it, though, you need the full install files from the MAS (4.5 -> 5.2 GB). Unfortunately, you can only download the current version (10.13.5). Contact me via email regarding earler versions.

If you are running 10.13.5 currently on the Mini, then go to the MAS on another Mac and download it. STOP when it is done downloading and the box comes up saying it is ready to start the install process. It will not install on it's own without user input. Command-Q that box, go to your /Applications folder and copy "Install macOS High Sierra" to a separate location. I save it to a couple of other locations, on other drives, so I can keep it. Then you can delete it from the /Applications folder to prevent any accidental install on that machine. And I always do this while booted to an external drive. Then follow the instructions online for creating the Bootable USB stick.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thunderbolt cable

If you need a Thunderbolt Cable let me know and I'll Karma one your way.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My first thought: Your description sounds to me like a video card failure.

Not good.

The target disk mode sounds viable to get the stuff all your disk, since repairing/replacing the video card is going to take Apple hardware experti$e.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine Was doing similar a couple years ago

I made an appt and took it into the Genius Bar.

Turned out it was a piece of embedded firmware that was corrupted. They wiped the HD and did a full install of everything....free of charge...

has been perfect ever since

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would make an appointment at the closest Genis Bar if you have on near you.

They will look at it and diagnose the problem then tell you what they need to do to fix it. You can then decide what to do.

FWIW I had issues with my MacBook Pro. It took more than one visit but that was because the first tech wanted to try something easy and free first. Ended up having to send it into there repair facility in the end.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalel is right. Take it to the Apple Store.
Someone at the Genius Bar will fix it or give
you options. Before you get to the Genius Bar
one of the folks wearing an Apple T-shirt may
be able to take care of it. Some of those are pretty teckie.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horn, you are right about the walking techs! I had a problem where someone in the ER messed with my iphone a Locked it!! Could not get it unlocked, took to the Apple store and a cute young girl asked what I needed she sat down with me and my phone and in about 15 mins she had it unlocked and running!!!

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Playing with the mini a bit more.

1. Boot will not complete but apple logo appears. Progress bar hangs 2/3 across.
2. Safe boot progress bar completes but machine won't start.
3. After progress bar completes, the logo disappears and a grey screen follows. In one trial the screen went black, then back on, then black.
4. Safe boot trial #3. Gray screen. Minutes later, i release the shift key and give up

-------

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I didn't see you mention resetting the PRAM. Always a good thing to try when weird things happen.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Your Mini will restart and I would hold the keys down until you hear the restart sound at least THREE times.
(Usually one is sufficient but three does it for sure). This also resets settings like volume, time zone, startup disk, display resolution to defaults

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestion to rest PRAM. No luck there. Seemed stuck in a boot loop where it would boot, then screen go black, then attempt to start again.

-------

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Remove any usb peripherals and try.

Otherwise, boot and hold down the option button. Hopefully you'll see a recovery disk. Click that and use disk utility to repair the disk. If no recovery disk perhaps the install disks for the mini (if it came with any). If you have the disk, turn on, insert disc and hold down C. Run disk utility.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Created a USB boot OS X stick. Was able to select it as a bootable disk by holding down option key. Machine did the same thing again...ding tone, apple logo, progress bar to 2/3rds, and then grey screen forever.

-------