SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Samartian sees shot policeman on road, kills gunman who ambushed...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samartian sees shot policeman on road, kills gunman who ambushed... Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
Thank goodness for the VERY gun friendly state of Arizona (NO permit required for either open or concealed carry). Probably saved this Highway Patrolman's life.

http://www.azcentral.com/story...ar-tonopah/96481168/

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome outcome, Thank You Good Samaritan!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I said a long time ago, we are in this together. Good shoot!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good outcome. Awkwardly written story. I think it happened like this... the badguy was in a rollover accident in which his female companion was ejected from vehicle and then had the good sense to attack a state trooper trying to help him ? Wtf?

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

More than ever.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the Governor's statement didn't mention the good samaritan Eek

quote:
A man traveling to California came to the rescue of a wounded state trooper who was struggling with the gunman who had shot him on an isolated stretch of Interstate 10, authorities said.

The man, who was with his wife, stopped his car when he came upon a rollover accident and saw the struggle, according to Col. Frank Milstead, Arizona Department of Public Safety director.

The trooper told the man he needed help, and the man returned to his car, got his gun and fired at the assailant when he refused to listen to orders to stop and back away, Milstead said.

The man who shot the trooper was dead, as was a woman who had been ejected from the vehicle, Milstead said.

Milstead said the trooper, a 27-year veteran, was in stable condition after being shot in the right shoulder and chest. His wife and other troopers were with him at the hospital where he was scheduled to undergo surgery. The trooper's name was not immediately released.

He was going to be "OK after some recovery," Milstead tweeted earlier Thursday.

Roberts: This is a gun story to celebrate on Interstate 10
An Arizona Department of Public Safety trooper was shot on Jan. 12, 2017, at the scene of a rollover accident on Interstate 10 near Tonopah. Mark Henle / The Republic

Milstead spoke at a Goodyear hospital where the trooper was taken, and DPS Capt. Damon Cecil provided details from the scene of the shooting, west of Tonopah and about 40 miles west of downtown Phoenix.

Milstead said the trooper was responding to a shots-fired call at milepost 81 about 4 a.m. after a caller said a car in the freeway median had fired a shot at his vehicle.

As the trooper was heading west, he came across a rollover accident at milepost 89. The car involved was registered in Arizona.

"We believe the suspect was in the rolled-over car, but it hasn't been confirmed," Cecil said.

The trooper was settling down flares in the pitch dark when a gunman "ambushed" the trooper at the scene, shooting him. The wound affected the trooper's gun hand, but the trooper continued to physically fight the man, Cecil said.

Milstead said the civilian saw a man on top of the trooper, pounding his head in the pavement, and asked if the trooper needed help.

The civilian, who also was not identified, shot the man and then used the trooper's radio to call for help, Milstead said.

Medical helicopters flew the trooper, the gunman and the woman ejected in the rollover to the Abrazo West Campus in Goodyear.

The Buckeye Police Department also posted their wishes for the trooper's speedy recovery on a department social-media account.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers this morning for our Trooper that was shot. Looks like he will be okay after some recovery @Arizona_DPS
— Col. Frank Milstead (@frank_milstead) January 12, 2017

@Arizona_DPS the @BuckeyePolice wishes your Trooper a speedy recovery. We are thinking of your Troopers and family's today.
— Buckeye Police Dept (@BuckeyePolice) January 12, 2017

I-10 to remain closed as investigation continues
Law enforcement vehicles were parked outside the Abrazo

Law enforcement vehicles were parked outside the Abrazo West Campus in Goodyear on Jan. 12, 2017. (Photo: Alessandra Luckey/The Republic)

Officials said that nearly 100 semitrucks had to be backed out of the area as the investigation expanded.

A detour for local traffic was set up using 411th Avenue. ADOT suggested State Route 85 and Interstate 8 as alternate routes for travelers passing through the area.

Truck driver Kenny Dunn said he was driving westbound on the Interstate 10 when the traffic came to a standstill.

Dunn said an official came by his window and said, "Hang tight, it's going to be awhile."

He said he saw smoke coming from a rolled-over vehicle and a maroon unmarked DPS car in the middle of the freeway.

He said he learned that a DPS trooper might have been injured and shortly afterward saw a helicopter swoop in and take off. Another helicopter came and took off after 10 minutes, he said.

During this time, his truck partner, Lawrence Weakley, 40, was asleep, but Weakley was awakened by Dunn and told what had happened.

"It sounds tragic," he said. "Officers flew by (Dunn) to respond. Everyone responded immediately. It's overwhelming."

Their truck was the last of nearly 100 trucks that had to be backed out of the area as investigators worked to expand the scene.

Gov. Doug Ducey issued a statement Thursday morning.

“We are so relieved to hear this brave officer is safe, and will recover,” Ducey said. "This incident is another reminder of the risks that the men and women who wake up each morning and put on the badge take for our state. A courageous officer who puts his life on the line to protect our communities — and the fast-acting first-responders whose efforts were responsible for getting him to safety, doing for this officer what our cops do for our state every day.
“I urge Arizonans to join me in praying for a quick recovery for this brave officer and thanking everyone who, through their actions in real time, showed our officers exactly what Arizona means when we say: ‘You have our backs — and we will always have yours.’”

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Well said, sir.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I pray for the officer's speedy and full recovery as well as the good samaritan's mental well-being (the few people I know who have used lethal force in defense of a 3rd party needed many, many months of therapy).

My biggest surprise, is this story was picked up by CNN.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My biggest surprise, is this story was picked up by CNN.
Just trying to offset their 'fake' news stories.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done. I certainly hope that, G-d forbid, if I am ever in that same situation, I have the confidence and courage to act as well.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Governor really stepped up, didn't he?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Here's the irony of it all. The good samaritan was an Arizona resident headed for California. His actions save the life of the DPS trooper. If this happened 100 miles further to the west across the political line that divides Arizona and California, his actions would've been illegal.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Here's the irony of it all. The good samaritan was an Arizona resident headed for California. His actions save the life of the DPS trooper. If this happened 100 miles further to the west across the political line that divides Arizona and California, his actions would've been illegal.

Why?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Why?

Because of California's laws on firearms and transporting firearms. In Arizona a loaded firearm can be carried concealed and in vehicles without a permit. In California, which does not recognize any other states concealed carry permits and is a may issue state with many municipalities refusing to issue permits, a loaded firearm cannot be kept in the car. The firearm and ammunition must be kept separate and the firearm in a locked case separate from the passenger compartment.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why?

Because of California's laws on firearms and transporting firearms. In Arizona a loaded firearm can be carried concealed and in vehicles without a permit. In California, which does not recognize any other states concealed carry permits and is a may issue state with many municipalities refusing to issue permits, a loaded firearm cannot be kept in the car. The firearm and ammunition must be kept separate and the firearm in a locked case separate from the passenger compartment.

Nowhere in the article did it say the Good Samaritan had his weapon loaded in his car. It said he want back and retrieved it, which could have simply been opening the trunk, inserting a loaded magazine, and racking the slide. That scenario is perfectly legal in California.

Sure, California sucks relative to surrounding states, but it is not New Jersey or Washington D.C.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mexican illegal immigrant drug addict who was shot dead by hero passerby after his 'ambush-style attack' on Arizona state trooper

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...d-hero-passerby.html

A motorist who was shot dead by a hero passerby after he had 'ambushed' an Arizona state trooper has been identified as a known drug user and illegal immigrant from Mexico.

Leonard Penuelas-Escobar shot trooper Edward Andersson twice on an interstate west of Phoenix, before he was killed by a Good Samaritan passerby on Thursday.

Penuelas-Escobar, who was believed to be under the influence of drugs at the time, shouted in Spanish at the 27-year department veteran before shooting and beating him in an 'ambush-style attack'.

The 37-year-old drug user was in the country illegally and is believed to have once worked as a Mexican police officer, the Department of Public Safety Director Frank Milstead said on Monday.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why?

Nowhere in the article did it say the Good Samaritan had his weapon loaded in his car. It said he want back and retrieved it, which could have simply been opening the trunk, inserting a loaded magazine, and racking the slide. That scenario is perfectly legal in California.

Sure, California sucks relative to surrounding states, but it is not New Jersey or Washington D.C.

You are correct, however I'm glad the Samaritan was in Arizona when this occurred. Am I wrong in thinking this could be a far more expensive and potentially messy situation if this were to happen in CA, both from criminal and civil view?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any of the anti law enforcement anti gun liberal states. A recent refugee seeking asylum in Arizona from the people's republic of New York I can tell you this scenario would be far less likely to unfold in NY and even if helping the officer was absolutely the correct thing to do, I would expect years of NY legal trouble for the citizen, starting with confiscation of all firearms from the Good Samaritan and a long costly legal battle to recover them.
Never mind civil litigation , probably from the ejected woman's surviving child or some nonsense

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
update:
http://www.azfamily.com/story/...y-grand-kids-grow-up

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
update:
http://www.azfamily.com/story/...y-grand-kids-grow-up

Thanks for the update bendable! That was God's intervention that day, and I am not a religious man, but to his grandkids that was a miracle.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post