SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any idea what kind of wood this is?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any idea what kind of wood this is? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Well over 40 years ago I found a stout piece of wood that had interesting worm cuts on it while chaperoning a group in the NorCal woods. I fashioned it into a 70" "Little John" staff/walking stick with a carved handle. Used it a lot in the old days out in the woods. Still have it and still have no clue as to what kind of wood it is.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
western big leaf maple.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
western big leaf maple.

If it was that shouldn't it have a lot more figure?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Manzanita or Madrone

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OldChimney,

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Manzanita or Madrone

Too straight for its length to be manzanita I would think.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Manzanita or Madrone

Too straight for its length to be manzanita I would think.

Agreed.

Still what I found so intriguing originally were the worm tracks (best seen on the lower shaft in my picture although present on the entire length of the limb/stick). Not the normally encountered pin holes I'd seen.

USN (RET), COTEP #192