SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More Chiraq news: More than 100 shot in violent Fourth of July weekend
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Chiraq news: More than 100 shot in violent Fourth of July weekend Login/Join 
posted
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170705-story.html

The Chicago Police Department says it is conducting "a very comprehensive review" after the city experienced one of its most violent Fourth of July weekends in recent years, with at least 101 people shot between late Friday afternoon and early Wednesday.

"We're doing a debriefing," said chief police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. "The mood here is frustration."

The review will include an analysis of how "amateur fireworks" might have affected the ShotSpotter system, which captures audio of gunfire and attempts to pinpoint its location for quicker deployment of officers. The system is deployed in the Englewood and Harrison districts, traditionally among the city's most violent.

"It's perplexing," Guglielmi said. "We deployed some very successful tactics over the Memorial Day weekend." Yet those same tactics did not seem to work as well over the Fourth holiday.

Fifteen people were killed and 86 others were wounded. Nearly half the shootings occurred in the last 12 hours of the long holiday.

The last time the Fourth holiday spanned four full days was in 2013, when July 4 fell on a Thursday and many people had Friday off. At least 74 people were shot between Wednesday evening and early Monday that year, and 12 of them died, according to Tribune data.

The violence this year was largely confined to the South and West sides, where hundreds of officers on overtime were deployed. The youngest person shot was a 13-year-old boy seriously wounded in Gage Park on Friday night. The oldest was a 60-year-old man in the Lawndale neighborhood.

A total of 1,300 extra officers were deployed over the long weekend through 6 a.m. Wednesday. The additional officers came from the summer mobile teams, organized crime units and area saturation teams. "I don't think lack of resources was an issue."

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I prefer Madiganistan to Chiraq

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
The last time the Fourth holiday spanned four full days was in 2013, when July 4 fell on a Thursday and many people had Friday off. At least 74 people were shot between Wednesday evening and early Monday that year, and 12 of them died, according to Tribune data.
Oh, my goodness, yes. If I have more than three days off in a row, I have to go all Lord of the Flies around here.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to bet that the perpetrators have close to 7 days off a week, every week....

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Oh, my goodness, yes. If I have more than three days off in a row, I have to go all Lord of the Flies around here.

I don't get this either. What makes the holidays more lethal in Chicago? These thugs don't work anyway.

posted Hide Post
I mentioned this in an earlier post. NYC used to be much more dangerous than Chicago. They solved their gang problem Chicago never did. People who have never lived or visited there do not fully understand that most but not all of this violence is confined to the city and not the suburbs and usually involves young gangbangers killing each other.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's see- Thanksgiving is a four day holiday. I guess they'll need to stock up on body bags this Fall.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I mentioned this in an earlier post. NYC used to be much more dangerous than Chicago. They solved their gang problem Chicago never did. People who have never lived or visited there do not fully understand that most but not all of this violence is confined to the city and not the suburbs and usually involves young gangbangers killing each other.

Different political environment. A solid Republican was in charge awhile back in NYC. He took the steps needed to bring NYC back from the brink of destruction. Chicago is "led" by a bunch of worthless Democrats who will take the side of a thug everyday, all day long.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They used to blame it on the heat. Days above 90. In the poorer areas of the city they would open the fire hydrants for the kids to play in. Murders do slow down during the Winter months though. I think a lot of this is media BS. They always report how many people died on the state highways over the LONG HOLIDAY WEEKEND, as if nobody died on other weekends. That is just crazy when you think about it. Most of these folks do not know what day of the week it is, but they all heard of the fourth of July when Chicago declared its independence from the rest of the civilized world.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We are doing a debriefing". Thanks, Chief!
Nothing like a good debriefing.
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Illinois legislature would enact Reparations August as a month long holiday,this problem might burn itself out.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Simple solution:

Move Independence Day in Chicago to the middle of January, make it a Wednesday.

That way the hot weather won't cause those fully employed and law abiding people to shoot each other.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at "heyjackass.com"

Note ratio of killified - shootified by race.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
heyjackass.com

^^^^^^^
Great site....................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Let's see- Thanksgiving is a four day holiday. I guess they'll need to stock up on body bags this Fall.

Well, they could celebrate and extended Labor Day, but the irony would simply go over their heads.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
Take a look at "heyjackass.com"

Note ratio of killified - shootified by race.

Data (draw your own conclusions)

Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 326
Shot & Wounded: 1540
Total Shot: 1866
Total Homicides: 351

2017 Race of Victim/Assailant

Race Victim/Assailant
Black 259/34
Hispanic 48/3
White/Other 8/-
Police - 6/0
Self Defense -/3
Unknown 7/265
As of 6/26/17

So in 265 instances, news reports omit the race of the assailant.

From another data point, you can draw an inference:

2017 Deadliest ‘hoods
Neighborhood Homicides/% African-American population
Austin 45/86.1
Englewood 33/96.6
North Lawndale 22/91.2
Garfield Park 17/93.3
Humboldt Park 13/41.5
Auburn Gresham 15/97.6
South Shore 16/94.8
Roseland 20/96.6
New City 9/28.3
Grand Crossing 11/96.3
Brighton Park 12/1.8
etc.
As of 7/5/17

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
They should have a national holiday once a month in Chicago and sell ammo buy one box get two free. Eventually all the shitheads will be gone.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Chicago police chief regarding the shootings in Chicago over the weekend:

"We have to change the underlying culture," Guglielmi said.

Do you think? maybe its starting to sink in.

He also said the problem is "gangs and guns". I wonder which they will go after?

Link to article below:

"http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/chicago-police-express-frustration-after-more-than-100-shot-in-violent-fourth-of-july-weekend/ar-BBDNqcq?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
They should have a national holiday once a month in Chicago and sell ammo buy one box get two free. Eventually all the shitheads will be gone.

Almost sounds like a new charity:
Slugs for Thugs

* sing to the tune of Kars for Kids.
Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
He also said the problem is "gangs and guns". I wonder which they will go after?

It's hard to go after the gangs. Much easier to go after the guns. Of course, it won't help and then they will wail, "We need to get even tougher on the guns."

Idiots.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post