SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ~*~Florida Voter Opinions needed please~*~
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

~*~Florida Voter Opinions needed please~*~ Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
Thanks for your help and opinions. One of the amendments that I'm having issues with is Amendment 4, the Voting Rights Restoration Amendment. I've been going back and forth in my head about it. There is an ad about this amendment where a young(ish) man is speaking about being popped for a non-violent felony. Since being released he has turned his life around, become a husband and father. He's had a good job and shed the shackles of his past. His wife also speaks in this ad. She basically says he served his time, a long time ago, and he should have his voting rights restored because he has paid the price for youthful indiscretions, etc.

I see both sides, however IMHO losing some of his rights are part of his sentence. Commit the crime and do the time, and all that jazz. I really don't know where I will fall on this and would love to hear your opinions about it.

What they aren't telling you is there is a path to having voting rights restored. The ex-convict must jump through some hoops and sit in front of a review board but voting rights can be restored with some effort on the ex-con's part.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The Tampa Bay Times said: "The proposal would outlaw betting on greyhound racing by the end of 2020, though it would allow tracks to continue some other pari-mutuel offerings. Whatever your view on dog racing, its disposition doesn’t belong in the Constitution. On Amendment 13, the Tampa Bay Times recommends voting No."[43]

https://ballotpedia.org/Florid...aces_Amendment_(2018)

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Personally...I'm looking at yes on Amendments 1, 2 and 5 and no on all the rest. Still a little time to revisit these though since my family and I will be voting early on Friday or Saturday.

On Amendment 5, it only makes it harder to raise taxes, lowering is still only simple majority.

Considering yes on Amendment 7 too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to yes on 1, 2, 5, 12 and no on the rest.

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Bump, I'm late to the game on this one and binge reading on the amendments.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The question I had for my son (21 year old) is, will Florida be run via the elected legislature or via mob rule at the ballot box? There's not one of these amendment that couldn't (and shouldn't) have been dealt with via legislation by the legislature. Especially those dealing with fiscal/monetary policy. I'm more disgusted than ever that we've apparently decided to run this state from the ballot box, which I assure you, will not end well for any of us if the practice continues.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have not voted yet, but soon. I'm wrastling with these amendments I agree with some and disagree with others. My problem like some of ya'll is, I dont think they are amendment material and should not be on the ballot.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's crazy, but I believe over half of these amendments came from the legislature.

Posts: 10902 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
All of them passed except #1. Even the combo ones that didn't have shit to do with each other. Hillsborough passed tax increases for road and school improvements. They mismanaged the funds before so how is this going to be any different?

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Get ready for the next move on hunting with #13.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep all but 1 passed, which is odd I figured 1 would pass easily.

People don't understand what they are voting for due to the complex and misleading language in these amendments.

I still say we need one that bans amendments by vote.

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

People don't understand what they are voting for due to the complex and misleading language in these amendments.

Agreed!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Setting the precedent of policy by mob rule is disconcerting.

What if the mob has problems with certain knives or some approval processes? Or certain firearm ranges?

I just don’t like it.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

I voted no on all of them. 1 would have benefited me directly and I was suprised as well that it didn't pass. I have to wonder how many voters are homeowners?

Posts: 10902 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Voted no on the felons getting their voting rights restored. Why? Fuck 'em, that's why.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

I voted no on all of them. 1 would have benefited me directly and I was suprised as well that it didn't pass. I have to wonder how many voters are homeowners?
Take solis in noting that amendment 1 meant absolutely nothing. If it had passed (i.e. you got to keep more money but local government lost tax revenue in the process), local governments would have simply raised property taxes to offset the change. Nothing will ever stop government from collecting what they deem is theirs.

And what we saw in almost all of the amendments passing yesterday is just how retarded a majority of the voting population in Florida really is. Most of the people coloring in the bubbles on their ballots had no idea whatsoever what they were voting for or against. If it sounded good or felt good, they voted for it. Florida, not unlike many other states, is sliding toward the abyss as well. We're just sliding a bit slower.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post