SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Longmire Fans?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Longmire Fans? Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We really enjoy the series and the books.
Cowboys and Indians and Outlaws in the 21st Century. A lot of people carry a 1911 like that. But the Chief Deputy needs to button her shirt.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the Chief Deputy needs to button her shirt.

Sir, I strongly disagree with you in this matter. Smile

I also enjoy "Hell on Wheels" and, in certain locations, I keep the hammer down with one in the chamber starting back in 1969.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Big fan here, from the beginning of the series on A&E.

When I saw in the opening credits of Episode 1 a reference to a book series, I immediately checked into it and was hooked there, too. As much as I like the show, I prefer the Longmire "universe" of the book series better. As already noted, the books are quite humorous and are written from the first-person perspective of Walt.

The books are packed with firearms...inaccuracies...too; just overlook them and enjoy the stories.

Check out the book series' author Craig Johnson's website for some cool Longmire memorabilia. Also, if you're on Facebook, there's a "Longmire Posse" fan-group that has been credited with the Netflix pick-up of the show after the A&E cancellation. A few of the show's stars check-in there from time to time.

Author's site:

http://craigallenjohnson.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
... big panoramic scenes of the Wyoming landscape.

It's shot in New Mexico, near Santa Fe.

Is Longmire's house and property shot in that same area? I assume so, but I'm not really familiar with New Mexico.

Yes, in the caldera at Bandelier National Monument due west of Los Alamos.

Bandelier is an awesome place to visit. I go there whenever work takes me to Los Alamos.

Good to know, I need to put that on my travel list.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buffalo, Wyoming has Longmire Days where the author and some of the show cast meet and greet their fans. Usually the 2nd week of July.

Living in Wyoming I look for the nuances on the show.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've watched and enjoyed the show. And Walt does a very good job picking deputies. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like how he carries a 1911, but the people who wrote the show must not know anything about how a 1911 is carried. When he draws the gun, he cocks the hammer with his thumb like it's an old Colt SA. t?

He carries it in Condition 2 (there are several times he loads it and carefully lowers the hammer on the live round). As was stated earlier, there are people who carry the 1911 this way instead of cocked and locked.

I haven't read the books recently enough to remember if he carried that way (or if it was even mentioned).

Overall I love the show, I'm looking forward to the next season!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
But the Chief Deputy needs to button her shirt.

If you mean Ferg, I agree. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
SPOILER ALERT

I just finished Season 5 last night and have to say I was a little disappointed that they left so many of the story lines unresolved.

I know this must have been their intent to roll these stories into Season 6, but come on!

Apart from Walt wrapping things up with the shrink* (a great idea, considering there was zero chemistry there), we're simply left hanging on so many other story lines.

* And, by the way, whatever happened Lizzie Ambrose? I thought she was a great minor character who added a lot to the series. Did they just drop her character out of the series, or did I miss her exit?

One other note: I have really enjoyed the development of Mathias. I've been glad to see him get more "playing time" and think Zahn McClarnon does a fine job with the character.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Yes love Longmire!! Was juts in Santa Fe a few weeks back and chatted with a longtim local that said the cast were due to show up mid-March. They really like this one restaurant El Callejon based on the autographed pics on the wall.

quote:
quote:
... big panoramic scenes of the Wyoming landscape.

It's shot in New Mexico, near Santa Fe.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It has been a good entertainment.

Jones' criticisms are valid. The last few seasons have been a little driven by the formula. There is an over-arching story line that somewhat makes up for that.

It is probably time for it to end. It is hard to not to be repetitive after four or five seasons of any show. Better for it to end when it still is good than drive it into the ground and make everyone sick of it.

I do enjoy Katee Sackhoff. She is fun to watch and easy on the eyes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Longmire Season 5 is still of "UNKNOWN" status on my Netflix queue. I do not mind being a few years behind. Heck, I didn't start Mad Men until last year. And "24"? I started Season 1 when the series was nearly over.

Isn't there a new Jesse Stone movie out as well? Gotta look that up.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Longmire Season 5 is still of "UNKNOWN" status on my Netflix queue.

You must mean the DVD queue - yes? I just finished Season 5 on Netflix but I only have a streaming subscription.

posted Hide Post
I thought it was dangerous to carry a 1911 with the hammer down and a round in the chamber.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
so when will it start again??

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I like it and wish it wasn't ending. BTW, just a bit of trivia, the actor that plays Walt was one of the agents in the movie The Matrix. I believe he actually Austrailian or British.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I saw a preview that said they were going to explore the relationship between Walt and Vic. I hope they nix that idea.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uppster:
I saw a preview that said they were going to explore the relationship between Walt and Vic. I hope they nix that idea.

They are making the beast with two backs pretty regularly in the books

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dingode:
My wife and I like it and wish it wasn't ending. BTW, just a bit of trivia, the actor that plays Walt was one of the agents in the movie The Matrix. I believe he actually Austrailian or British.

He also plays a prominent role in Tomorrowland

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The books are both funny and violent. Example: Walt was riding with an FBI agent when the lady dispatcher radioed that “The FBI is in your office”. The agent in the truck was puzzled as he was the only federal agent around those parts. Walt explained that FBI was radio acronym for “Fucking Big Indian”.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post