SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Longmire Fans?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Longmire Fans? Login/Join 
Picture of Billy346
posted
I just started watching it on Netflix. Seems like a great show with Walt Longmire's "cowboy code" style as a small town sheriff. I love the big panoramic scenes of the Wyoming landscape. I've been out west once and I'm dying to go back sometime. (I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area, which feels cramped in comparison)

I like how he carries a 1911, but the people who wrote the show must not know anything about how a 1911 is carried. When he draws the gun, he cocks the hammer with his thumb like it's an old Colt SA.

All in all, it's a good show, which is scratching my recent itch for some time in the Wild West.

Anyone else watch it?

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of geektoad
posted Hide Post
yep the wife and i started watching it back when it was on TNT. We were pretty bummed when they cancelled it, and were super happy when we heard netflix was buying it and keeping it going.

Posts: 95 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
... big panoramic scenes of the Wyoming landscape.

It's shot in New Mexico, near Santa Fe.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31357 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Sig2340 is right. It's filmed in New Mexico. Still the west far as I'm concerned. it's a great show always with a twist.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it. Sad that the upcoming sixth season will be the last.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great show, wish it wasn't coming to an end.

Posts: 1699 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

Is Longmire's house and property shot in that same area? I assume so, but I'm not really familiar with New Mexico.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I, likewise, watch and love the show.

Didn't know the upcoming season would be its last. That's a shame Frown

I guess it must not be all that popular. A&E gave it three seasons. Netflix is giving it three seasons.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Been watching the show since it first came out. Was really sad to hear that the upcoming season will be the last.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
I really like the show as well. I was a bit disappointed with the last season though. If you like to read, check out the Longmire books by Craig Johnson. They are very good.

Posts: 348 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are big fans. I'll second the book series. a little different than the show. Craig Johnson has a great sense of humor and Vic is alittle rowdier in the books!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are bummed its going off the air, we flew through the episodes.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

Is Longmire's house and property shot in that same area? I assume so, but I'm not really familiar with New Mexico.

Yes, in the caldera at Bandelier National Monument due west of Los Alamos.

Bandelier is an awesome place to visit. I go there whenever work takes me to Los Alamos.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31357 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I binge-watched the first 5 seasons!
A very good, entertaining show.

Season 5 started to get pretty stereotypical and soap-opera-like, but by that time I was invested enough in the characters to cut the writers a little slack.

If you liked Longmire, you might also like "Hell on Wheels", which is a historical drama of the making of the Transcontinental Railroads.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You should visit the LAIR.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
If you like to read, check out the Longmire books by Craig Johnson. They are very good.

This is what brought me to watch the show and actually part of what me get on the Netflix train.

I've listened to several of the Audio.com booksy and love every one of them. I'm not as in love with the show (though I still enjoy it), partly because the writers/directors know nothing about guns. This weekend I watched an episode where Walt and another guy were standing somewhere when suddenly there was a "chack-chack" behind them (I despise this on TV anyway) and when they revealed the person standing there with the shotgun he had a double barrel shotgun, with the breach open no less. Roll Eyes

Also, Walt is a lot funnier in the books (dry humor).

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The main character actor is Aussie. Does a decent American accent.

I'm up to Season 4, with "Unknown" netflix ship date for S5. Left off at: In the wake of an intruder interrupting Walt's romantic moment with Donna, he faces a confrontation. So no spoilers, or at least, a "Spoiler Alert" Wink

And to think, I considered buying Netflix stock in '04 or '05, when it was 1/100th of its current price ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duke of Detroit
posted Hide Post
I watched the Longmire series from the beginning and I was not happy when TNT canceled it. When Netflix picked it up, the wife and I binge watched the whole series in a weekend. One of my favorite series. Also, Hell On Wheels is binge worthy also. Loved that one too.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Posts: 1047 | Location: Detroit, MICHIGAN | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Great show. There's a thread inthe Lair too.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12344 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just started watching it on Netflix. Seems like a great show with Walt Longmire's "cowboy code" style as a small town sheriff. I love the big panoramic scenes of the Wyoming landscape. I've been out west once and I'm dying to go back sometime. (I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area, which feels cramped in comparison)

I like how he carries a 1911, but the people who wrote the show must not know anything about how a 1911 is carried. When he draws the gun, he cocks the hammer with his thumb like it's an old Colt SA.

All in all, it's a good show, which is scratching my recent itch for some time in the Wild West.

Anyone else watch it?

I loved the first couple of seasons. After that, the story lines just copied off of the previous seasons. Absaroka County apparently is the murder capital of Wyoming. Each week, is usually another homicide to where-

Walt will completely disregard things and go his own way. (While believing that Jacob Nighthorse is somehow behind it)
Ferg will be torn because he wants to do a good job, but yet feels underappriciated.
Vic has a demon/secret/past that she battles with throughout the investigation.
Henry has yet again made a deal with the devil and yet again has one foot in prison.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it overall, but it kinda reminds me of how Burn Notice played the same plot lines over and over and over again. For the first couple of seasons, it is tolerable.

As to the 1911 Walt carries, you'd actually be surprised at the number of people that actually carry the gun that way. They tell me that is "safer" than carrying it with the hammer back (somehow). Three quarter of the people I run into at work that have a 1911 carry it with the hammer down on a round.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post