SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wondering if my expectations are too high
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wondering if my expectations are too high Login/Join 
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
As a dad that was in the same exact position(son 11 at time), I would talk to him about it in person. The next time you have some one on one time, mention it to him and give him an example of what it would be like if he did that to you.

He/she(child) could be ruled with an iron fist on the other end of the phone and is afraid to disobey that parent at that time. There are still some issues with my middle son(21) with whom to "believe". Eventually, they(child) will come around and see things for themselves!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
My wife does the same thing to me every time, even when we are on a date. Absolutely it is rude, period.

You talk to your wife on the phone while you're on a date (I assume you mean on a date with HER)?

That said, my ex-GF used to do that to me all the time. Pissed me off. WTF am I, chopped liver? Apparently so, thus the 'ex-' in that. Wink

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I forget which member, but a few years back, a member of the forum was at a Thanksgiving dinner for family. I think it was his nephew- the kid wasn't interacting with anyone. He was staring at his phone for hours. Time comes to sit down for dinner, the kid is still staring at his phone. "That's a great-looking phone", says Uncle. "Can I see it?"
Kid hands him the phone. Uncle shuts the Goddamned thing off and puts it in his pocket. You'll get it back later.

My kind of guy. That kind of crap pisses me off to no end.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I think it's a learned behavior. Granted to me, choosing to do that to someone repeatedly shows how you feel about that person. I would never answer a call from someone else while talking to him, or even his mom. It's rude and shows that person that everyone else means more to you than them.

His mother is the same way he is. Even while we were married I could call from Bahrain after not talking to her for weeks and she would hang up if anyone in her family called. One of my biggest concerns is that he not turn out like his mom.

After looking at things a lot over the years, neither of us was completely easy to live with, but it boiled down to she chose her family over me at every opportunity. To include running back to live with her parents after three weeks with me, ending in divorce after four years of that kind of thing.

She has been through another husband before me and quite a few boyfriends since for I would bet the same reason. She is the principal of a high school, but is incapable of committing as a wife or serious girlfriend because her mother always comes first.

I don't want that for my son. I don't want him unable to commit to a woman because his mom and her family is more important. I guess for now I will talk to him about it next time I have him for a weekend.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Take away his phone and phone privileges for a month and let him know exactly why this was done.

This.

When my son was 10 yo, he was in the fifth grade. Big enough and smart enough to know right from wrong, from rude to polite, because his mother and I taught him so.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Take away his phone and phone privileges for a month and let him know exactly why this was done.
Probably a great option were he not separated/divorced? If they live separate and apart and the son lives with his mother, I don't see taking away phone privileges as an option she'll back him up on, unless they discuss it beforehand.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I love kids and get along great with them. That being said, parents dismiss their children, not the other way around. Of course, once in awhile a kid is going to be upset and try to get away with dismissive behavior, but it shouldn't be a SOP.

I'd first try to work it out with the Mom, as she needs to be on board.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have seen many kids that simply have not been taught manners from their parents. Along with being respectful, it is a huge disservice to their children, that will effect them all throughout their lives. I would follow up with an in person discussion on manners and the importance of having them. Please, thank you, yes sir, no sir. I still open doors for women, and always receive a thank you in return. Our job as parents are to give our children the correct tools to survive life in society successfully, manners are just one of the tools.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Next time do the same to him at a key point in the conversation, like when discussing what he wants for his birthday, Christmas, etc. - you get the idea.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
We have 2 great nephews that stay with us frequently. When I have a problem like this with the 11 year old I explain to him how this is disrespectful. I also talk to him about self respect and how can you expect other people to respect you if you don't respect them or don't show you respect yourself. It is helping and is done without yelling or threats like he receives at home.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I try to live by the philosophy that if people don't react the way you want, it's because you didn't motivate them to.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"Well, I was going to tell you I was sending you some money. But you hung up on me before I could. So I gave it to your sister instead"
- Click.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post