SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wondering if my expectations are too high
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wondering if my expectations are too high Login/Join 
TANSTAAFL
posted
I have a 10 yr old son that lives with his mom. I love him, but something has been driving me nuts for years. No matter who calls while we are talking he hangs up on me to answer. He just says so-and-so is calling, bye. He doesn’t do it when he’s on the phone with his mom.

Tonight it happened again and I got irritated and brought it up when we talked again later. He got upset and now his mom says I’m the asshole for mentioning it.

Because of my upbringing I know I don’t have the best people skills. Am I wrong to be upset over this?

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People that do that to me I tend to disassociate with. Unfortunately it's your son that has this rude behavior so...

Yes, when it happens to me I am bothered by it and I think you have every right to point out that it is unacceptable.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
It's rude to do that to anybody, UNLESS it's an emergency call.

You are right to bring it up.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
My wife does the same thing to me every time, even when we are on a date. Absolutely it is rude, period.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that his mom told him to do it?

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well, lets start at the beginning. You are an asshole, she is a bitch.

Beyond that, yes it is rude. She is not teaching him that it is wrong. I would bring it up to him in person when you see him. If you do not see maybe do it to him a couple of times and then ask him how he felt about it when it was done to him.
I am with you. It is very rude.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't think we need to consult Emily Post to understand that this behavior isn't polite. One or both of his parents aren't teaching him manners. Can't say which without more information, but he is learning this somewhere.

Posts: 6443 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You got upset over nothing, imho. He's a 10 y/o kid. But, what the heck do I know. I have no kids.

Q

Posts: 26318 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am in the expectations are too high column.

It is rude, yes but He is 10. 10 year olds do lots of things that are rude. Talk about it with him in person and not on the phone in a calm fashion and don't mention he does not do it when talking with his mother.

Though I would not be surprised if mama has something to do with it though.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is rude behavior and you called him on it. It is just one of many things he needs to learn as he grows up, or else we will have another snowflake.

Good luck to you in this effort.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
If you do not see maybe do it to him a couple of times and then ask him how he felt about it when it was done to him.

I like teachable moments. This seems like a good one. Especially if he's in the middle of asking you for something. "Oh, hold on, I have a call on the other phone. I have to go. Bye."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is you son and kids need to be taught etiquette.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think you are right to say something to him about it. It's very disrespectful.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
It's rude to do that to anybody, UNLESS it's an emergency call.

You are right to bring it up.

Completely agree. Would be pissed if he did to anyone, let alone dad.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Kid needs to learn to respect you.

My Dad would tell me 3 - 6 - 9, which translated meant:

It's going to take 3 surgeons 6 hours to remove my size 9 from your ass.

I grew up Italian, what can I say?

Dad said and did a lot of other things too, but the bottom line is - respect.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
If you do not see maybe do it to him a couple of times and then ask him how he felt about it when it was done to him.

I like teachable moments. This seems like a good one. Especially if he's in the middle of asking you for something. "Oh, hold on, I have a call on the other phone. I have to go. Bye."

I am going to have to disagree. Do NOT do it back to your son especially if he is with his mother.

My brother has a 10 year old and the things that his ex-wife puts in the boys head is maddening.

From the OP I already suspect mom is behind this poor behavior.
You do the hang up to talk to someone else, mom is going to be all over it with some assinine comments about dad not having time for him and finding other people to be more important.

I would tread lightly if at all on that idea.

A 10 year olds mind is very very soft and mama can drive some life long poison against dad at that age.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

I am going to have to disagree. Do NOT do it back to your son especially if he is with his mother.

My brother has a 10 year old and the things that his ex-wife puts in the boys head is maddening.

From the OP I already suspect mom is behind this poor behavior.
You do the hang up to talk to someone else, mom is going to be all over it with some assinine comments about dad not having time for him and finding other people to be more important.

I would tread lightly if at all on that idea.

A 10 year olds mind is very very soft and mama can drive some life long poison against dad at that age.

I'll be first to admit I'm not the most considerate person around and you bring up a very good point. I was just thinking in terms of a generic adult and not a 10 year old, much less my kid.

I am reminded of when my niece (maybe she was 10 years old at the time) ran up to me with her guitar from school and she said, "Uncle, listen to me play the guitar."

I was a teenager then. I was expecting something close to playing a guitar. She strummed her finger across the strings a couple of times and it made sounds. Not what I was expecting so I laughed. Her brother and sister laughed with me. I didn't think anything of it at the time but the look on her fallen face haunts me now in my memory continually. She and I are close. We have never talked about the incident. But for me it's like remembering the time you stepped on a loved one's toes and squished your foot several times intentionally and now you're sorry you did it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rey HRH,

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is rude, and should be called on it. How to do it is the problem here.
Always make time for the kids. Don't do anything stupid. Try to model the best behavior, the kids WILL know. Just be gentle with the lesson.

A little backstory. Late ex and I have 2 kids, at the time 6 and 4. A couple of years after the divorce, ex constantly complaining about me. Kids were getting polluted on that stuff. Made statements about me "yelling at her on the phone every time she called" stuff. Well, my kids are nosy SOB's (just like their Dad) and were determined to find the truth. Next time she was on the phone with me, kids rigged up a tap on the phone and heard the whole conversation. Needless to say when it was over the ex was bitterly crying and complaining about the rude treatment I subjected her to, both kids looked at each other and burst out laughing!!

Kids never believed a word that their mother said after that. Kids told me that story after they moved out. Loved it.

If you do it right, you too can win.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Take away his phone and phone privileges for a month and let him know exactly why this was done.

Problem solved, in perpetuity.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old school here. I would of got to hang up on my Dad once.

As I get older I appreciate what my Dad did for me especially when I didn't appreciate it at the time.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post