SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WARNING. Bad Lettuce E. Coli Contaminated.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING. Bad Lettuce E. Coli Contaminated. Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Public health officials are now telling consumers to avoid all types of romaine lettuce because of an E. coli outbreak linked to the vegetable that has spread to at least 16 states and sickened at least 60 people, including eight inmates at an Alaska prison.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that new information about the illnesses in Alaska led them to expand a warning beyond chopped romaine to include any type of romaine lettuce, including whole heads and hearts of romaine. The inmates who became sick at the Anvil Mountain Correctional Center in Nome ate lettuce from whole heads of romaine grown in Yuma, Ariz., the CDC said.

Although the exact source of the tainted lettuce hasn't been identified, federal officials have said information indicates the contaminated lettuce was grown in that southwest corner of Arizona. Of those who have been sickened, at least 31 people have been hospitalized, including five who developed a type of potentially life-threatening kidney failure known as hemolytic uremic syndrome. No deaths have been reported.

Link To Story

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its funny that this happened today

when I was taking my ICS400 class back in early January we were discussing Type 1 incidents and multi-jurisdictional considerations

this very event was talked about as a 4 state tabletop exercise for May of this year (like two weeks from now)

coincidence?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some Fresh Express mix at lunch today. The company’s FB page indicates that they do not get their Romaine from Yuma.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got some from Costco today. Compost tonight.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Saw this on Fox news earlier. Sent the link to my parents in southern AZ. Both had 'intestinal flu' symptoms last week and romaine lettuce in the fridge. Damnit.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Washing it in bleach water doesn't fix it?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
This hit the news over a week ago in our area (no location of contamination given).
I haven't had my daily Chicken Ceaser Salad in 10days.
I complained after two days to the produce manager & was told about it.

Need to get this shit straightened out for need my rabbit food damn it!!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Costco will refund. No questions asked, just a refund, usually accompanied by a smile from the polite customer service folks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
E. coli causes severe diarrhea.

This is, therefore, truly the devil's lettuce.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My secretary was hospitalized for 3 days last week with it. Jacked up her kidneys but thank God they caught it and treated her quickly.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
After nearly 20 years in the restaurant business I don’t fuck around with e-coli. If you’ve got Romaine, from anywhere, throw that shit out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Another reason I need to get off my butt and plant romaine in my aerogarden today

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I can't help but wonder if this E.Coli outbreak was caused by 'Undocumented Farm Workers'....You know, doing the work that Americans won't do! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Publix

Recall Information (posted April 21, 2018)

If you are contacting us regarding the egg or romaine recall here is some additional information.

Romaine Recall

On April 13, 2018, the FDA and CDC both issued statements concerning their investigations into a widespread outbreak of pathogenic E. coli that implicated chopped and bulk Romaine lettuce grown in Yuma, AZ. Our supply source for romaine lettuce is from California with the majority coming from Salinas, CA.

We continue to be unaffected by the recall of romaine lettuce. The safety and well-being of our customers is our single most important priority, and we will continue to monitor this situation closely and will keep our customers informed. Any additional information or developments will be communicated through our website at http://corporate.publix.com/ab...lix/newsroom/recalls.

If customers have any questions about the product they purchased, they may return it for a full refund.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Costco will refund. No questions asked, just a refund, usually accompanied by a smile from the polite customer service folks.

Yes, we had a rice dish that was part of a recall. They actually reached out to us via email with the offer for refund. They really have the tracking down.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
In my days working in "farm country" I'd commonly see signs at the fields/packing houses/"field sanitation stations" reminding the workers to not crap in the fields.

True, they posted them in Spanish, but ignored the fact that many of the Spanish-speaking workers couldn't read Spanish any better than English.

Hence, E-coli...

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California is now producing Romaine as the Yuma, AZ. deal is done. Most if not all major suppliers are getting their product out of CA. But the move happened in the last week or so, just as the headlines were pointing to Yuma, Az. product as the culprit.

So check with your grocer or wherever you get your produce from, ask to see the original master carton label or markings on the carton if you need proof.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
It appears Ohio is in the clear.
Back on shelves at Meijers & Kroger in my area.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Washing it in bleach water doesn't fix it?

flashguy

No, gets inside the cells and intracellular fluid, can't wash it out....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I ate some last night at a pizza joint. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post