SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    L.E.O.'s and automatic weapons ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.E.O.'s and automatic weapons ? Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
We had MP5s. They were hugely underutilized. While fun, they brought few if any articulable advantages over the semi-auto options. Also, maintaining proficiency (and the agency-required quals) ate a lot of range time for the agents who opted for them. The agency ditched them-- ironically giving them to another white-collar agency, who played with them for a few years and then reached the same conclusions-- and left us with shotguns as our only "long gun" inventory.

Cue 2015 and proposals for M4s. Voices were raised for full-auto versions (mostly among people who never ran a FA before) and against (mainly by people who had.) I can find few domestic LE roles for FA that can't be seamlessly met with semi-auto models. They're out there, but they're... few.

Just my opinion, but I am admittedly a dinosaur who is perfectly happy with my SBS 870P.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My old dept had two MP5s that were select fire. The two best shots on the swat team used them. Plenty of patrol rifles but none full auto.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
We have HK 416s. They are full auto. We got them because HK could deliver them six months sooner than semi-auto guns. With that being said, we never use them on full auto.

I personally think 99 percent of LE have no use for full auto in rifles. Sub-guns (MP5s) do have a use in full auto because they are efficient at recoil control and you can place a lot of pistol rounds on target.

I think that the ultimate police rifle is a 14 inch semi-auto.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I think that the ultimate police rifle is a 14 inch semi-auto.

Concur.

I would add that unless you are working at a dept where you might be out in the sticks...not like the PD where I worked where houses were stacked on top of each other and you could hear your neighbor farting....there a 14inch carbine was perfect.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
My department used to have a fair number of castrated M16’s but they all got returned to the .gov after what is best described as a pissing match. All equipment received under that program (DERMO? Can’t quite remenber) from machine guns to microwaves were returned.

Currently there are some legacy MP5’s that don’t see use, a single malfunctioning G18 (won’t shoot semi), and less than a dozen SCAR 308’s with the giggle switch. Half belong to SWAT, half belong to the Air unit, justified because they were DIRT CHEAP from FN and the powers that be could potentially see the need to stop a vehicle from the air.

Anyway, that’s how it was relayed to me by one with first hand involvement. I don’t swim in that lane myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Voices were raised for full-auto versions (mostly among people who never ran a FA before) and against (mainly by people who had.)

Interesting how that is, isn’t it?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I am not a LEO, just a gun lover. I would think that for those who are allowed to carry full auto weapons, a 3 shot burst selection would be much preferred. More effective than semi, and much more controllable downrange. I am not familiar with which weapons have this option.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burst has its own set of quirks. In many platforms, letting off the trigger during the burst will leave the remaining rounds in the burst for the next trigger pull. Although not necessarily common, this can create problems when there number of rounds fired does not match the expected result. I can see an argument for two round burst, like some HKs have, but even then, a quick double tap is a less complex, more controlled way to do the same thing.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks folks , very interesting.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
We had MP-5's and Sig 552's but got rid of them. Sig made it impossible to get spare parts for the sigs so we went with Semi-auto AR-15's. Sold the Sigs to the B.I.A. for $148 a piece. There are still two MP5's floating around amongst our SWAT thugs. Too much fun to give them up I guess.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post