SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    L.E.O.'s and automatic weapons ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.E.O.'s and automatic weapons ? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone get the option to carry them ?
only "Special" l.e.o.'s ?

only on a case by case operations basis?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stay Classy!!
Picture of Crockett040
posted Hide Post
In Iowa they are department owned weapons and can be issued to anyone that is "rifle", or "subgun" certified. Although we have seen departments getting rid of them lately.

Posts: 397 | Location: Iowa | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ours are department owned and issued to the car. Everyone is qualified and trained on the operation.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Our policy limited us, allowing only our SWAt guys.

We got auto US military M-16s, but they were turned into semi-auto so non-SWAT officers could carry them.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I know Dallas SWAT (Tactical Officers) are issued them and carry them in their cars (which they drive home).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
Our policy limited us, allowing only our SWAt guys.

We got auto US military M-16s, but they were turned into semi-auto so non-SWAT officers could carry them.

Same here. I carried a defanged M16A1 fitted with a standard 14.5” M4 upper for several years. It was replaced last year with a new M4 carbine with a 16” barrel. I used to look wistfully at that 3rd selector setting and wonder what might have been...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My department recently started issuing M4 semi auto rifles to patrol supervisors. While there is no issue with using a full auto variety, NJ requires a higher level of yearly qualifications. The need and added requirements just don't make it worth the time and costs.

We do maintain a few full auto MP5's that are restricted to a certain few. They make qualifications much easier being a pistol cartridge.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Around here, it's typically only a select few with special assignments (SWAT, etc.)

Regular officers may be issued full auto capable rifles, such as surplus government M16s through the DoD's 1033 program, but they typically have the fun parts removed before being issued out by their agency.

Most LEOs have no need for full auto capability, because there are very few LE situations where full auto is necessary/useful.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I along with another Officer set up the patrol rifle program for the agency I left when I relocated to NC.

The Chief picked Rock River Arms paired with an Eotech. I cannot remember the model but it is equivalent to the Colt M4 I carried in Afghanistan but they are semi-auto only.

When I first got hired on with the Agency they had semi/full auto Sig 551/551 SWAT variant rifles.

I was the only officer that had any clue what they were.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
We can have them if we want, but no one does. Maybe the high speed, low drag (SWAT, SERT, etc) types, but for patrol, there is no reason to have full-auto.

One of my certifications is patrol rifle instructor and I always tell the guys, I shot and carried full-auto (M16A1) when I was in the USMC.

Now, after the first magazine....the novelty wears off. I'm not against anyone owning one, heck I'd like one, but for practical use, a semi-auto is a better option.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Where I worked, the "Special" LEOs were issued automatic weapons, M-16s, MP5s, etc. They regularly trained and qualified with them. We got 1033 Program M-16s, and converted those issued to Patrol officers to semi-auto only.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, the Good Old Days!

Rock Island Auctions is listing a Thompson in their next auction, that was used by Melvin Purvis's team when they apprehended Pretty Boy Floyd. It's not certain that Purvis used it, since it was borrowed from a local PD, but still, the "Cool Factor" is high for this one. Too bad I live in IL and can't afford it:
https://www.rockislandauction....798fd0d81b-148881749

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Our SWAT types have full auto lowers on their ARs and at one point had full auto MP5s. As far as I know those auto settings have never been used outside of training. We're accountable for all rounds that go downrange. Aimed Semi fire is plenty fast enough for nearly every purpose.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My agency issued loaner 16A1's with the happy switch till money was given to replace with AR15 rifles. This went on for over 15 years. At that time the Swat Team carried Colt SMG then HK UMP 40 over a 20 year time frame. Now everyone including swat carries the Sig M400 with a 16 inch barrel. Prior to my time on the range the team did not do much full auto training. I used a course that required the use of full auto at the 3 and 7 yard line. This was done for a liability standard in case someone ever used that feature during a shooting incident. As said by other posters you own EVERY round you fire. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My SWAT buddy just confirmed they still use their full-auto M-4s in .223/5.56 and MP-5s in 9mm. He also said they do train in full auto. I've been gone for almost 3 years, but even so, they are still using the same weapons.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
My SWAT buddy just confirmed they still use their full-auto M-4s in .223/5.56 and MP-5s in 9mm. He also said they do train in full auto. I've been gone for almost 3 years, but even so, they are still using the same weapons.
One of my Tac Officer friends in Dallas PD really liked my HK-51 (.308 full-auto with a 9" barrel) and wished it could be his "trunk gun". It looks like a MP-5 with a larger magazine.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
One of my Tac Officer friends in Dallas PD really liked my HK-51 (.308 full-auto with a 9" barrel) and wished it could be his "trunk gun". It looks like a MP-5 with a larger magazine.
That thing must be a flamethrower!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Where I worked, every officer was issued a Vietnam era M16 with the full auto bits removed. The SWAT guys had 3 rd burst DPMS rifles.

Technically, every LEO CAN have a fully auto machine gun, but the departments are going to limit access by policy, for good reason.

At my last agency, I had a SWAT Sgt that carried a full auto HK UMP every where. He had that thing out probably 10 times a month on all sorts of calls.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
That thing must be a flamethrower!
What do you think?

P28babymult7a
by David Casteel, on Flickr (about 5 shots full-auto)

P33babysgl2y
by David Casteel, on Flickr (one shot only)

I love it!

flashguy

posted Hide Post
This is second hand to me as I don't participate in policy and I'm not an LEO. But I do RSO the local PD for quals on our range and the SWAT guys get the giggle switch and the patrol officers with guns in their cars do not. They all started off as DOD guns, but semi triggers when into the patrol guns.
FWIW

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post