SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer Tire Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Tire Questions Login/Join 
posted
Currently our pontoon boat trailer sports 5.3 x 12 load range D tires and rims. They are Dexstar rims, and Loadstar tires. I suspect they are the original to the Hoosier brand trailer.

I need a spare for it, but while looking for one I discovered that I can go up to 15" tires with the same 5 x 4.5" lug pattern.

My question is. Is it worth it to go up the few inches in diameter on this setup? I know larger tires spin slower, and also ride better, but will 3" make much difference?

Also while the tires on there are load range D it doesn't need them. It's a small pontoon boat, far less than the load C rating. Any reason to stick with a load D rated tire?

Obviously if I just go the spare route I'll get the D, but if I go for the different size I'll probably go all C's.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12" wheels are pretty dang small for anything bigger than a Jon boat. If there is room to clear the fenders, I'd go bigger.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bigger circumference = less rotations = longer lasting bearings Cool

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
but will 3" make much difference?

Going from a 12 to a 15-inch wheel is 25%, and this is not even taking the overall tire diameter into account. Slowing down your wheel bearing rotation speed by 25% or more couldn't possibly be a bad thing. Boat trailer wheel bearings lead a rough life as it is. You have serviced yours lately, haven't you?

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Don't forget you will have to launch and retrieve farther in the water unless your boat cranks up easily.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
How much farther down the ramp will you need to go to float the boat? Is the ramp long enough? Will the extra ramp travel impact the tow vehicle? See post above

If these arent issues, increase away. As for load rating it seems to be trendy to get extra plys on trucks now days, maybe that mentality has crossed over to trailers too. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Don't forget you will have to launch and retrieve farther in the water unless your boat cranks up easily.

Thought about that too, I don't expect it to be much of an issue as the boat has huge logs for it's size so it floats up easily. I usually only have half the trailer in and it's floating.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
closer inspection has shown the fenders to be not as adjustable as I thought Mad so I think I may be sticking with the 12" rims.

I thought they were able to be adjusted up, but it would require sawing off the brackets and either welding, or bolting on new ones. So it looks like I'm sticking with 12".

Thanks for the input though.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
closer inspection has shown the fenders to be not as adjustable as I thought Mad so I think I may be sticking with the 12" rims.

I thought they were able to be adjusted up, but it would require sawing off the brackets and either welding, or bolting on new ones. So it looks like I'm sticking with 12".

Thanks for the input though.

If you can't move the fenders, move the axle. Add a simple block lift and longer bolts. Something like this perhaps.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I doubt you'll save much money going from a load range D to a C on a 205/75R-15. I would recommend staying with a Carlisle unless you are blessed with cash then the Goodyear Marathons are the way to go.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy I worked with told me that if at all possible , use automobile tires on your trailer . He said they are more durable and will last longer . A blowout on a trailer can tear up some shit .

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
A guy I worked with told me that if at all possible , use automobile tires on your trailer . He said they are more durable and will last longer . A blowout on a trailer can tear up some shit .

No, trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls and are much more preferable than using car tires on a trailer.

I too would go to a 15" tire if possible even If I had to get a block kit for the axle. But if you're going to get a spare wheel tire, get a spare hub with bearings and they have a mount that mounts the hub with bearings and tire onto the trailer as a spare.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

No, trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls and are much more preferable than using car tires on a trailer.

This. 10-ply vs. 2-ply.

Just put 4 new tires on my dual axle trailer this morning to the tune of $600. Ouch, but it beats a blow-out at 70MPH while hauling 4000lbs of topsoil.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post