SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcyclist crashes and gets shot by his gun.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcyclist crashes and gets shot by his gun. Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/20...-by-his-own-gun.html

This is weird.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
He was just punishing himself for wrecking.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm just wondering what gun and holster he was carrying that would allow that to happen.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How safe are those .22s for carrying with a round in chamber? Do they go off if dropped?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The diminutive NAA 22/22 mag single actions are fairly common with some. Not saying this was one, but possibly.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
That's why I always wore my gun off my body in a Versapack when I went riding. Didn't want to land on it, just in case.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it must be a P320 that hadn't been upgraded at first.

Running for cover now.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
The diminutive NAA 22/22 mag single actions are fairly common with some. Not saying this was one, but possibly.

Those single actions have a notch between each chamber you are supposed to lower the hammer into so it can't rest on a cartridge rim.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The article did say it was a 22 cal of some sort, so just going with one of many possibilities. Could even be a derringer of sorts.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
It says he had a passenger and the firearm was in a holster. If the holster was secured to his waist, depending on it’s design it’s possible that in the chaos of the crash the passenger somehow accidentally actuated the trigger.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
It says he had a passenger and the firearm was in a holster. If the holster was secured to his waist, depending on it’s design it’s possible that in the chaos of the crash the passenger somehow accidentally actuated the trigger.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Personally I don't own any holsters that don't cover the trigger. I've seen some out there but I would never own one. He was damn lucky it was a .22 and not a 44 mag.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I always carry my P226 in a tank bag and a round is never chambered. I guess I could be in trouble if I had to shoot it out at a stop light but I'm thinking that chances of that are zero or less. Too easy just to run from trouble on a bike vs shoot it out. I have friends that strongly disagree with me FYI.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The NAA revolvers can still discharge with the trigger covered. As soon as the hammer is pulled back at all, the cylinder rotates, and if it's enough to move the resting notch, the hammer will next rest on the rimfire edge and can discharge the pistol.

I see a lot of motorcyclists around here riding with open carry sidearms. Very common.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yep, either it was cocked and not in the resting notch or the hammer was pushed back and out of the notch.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post