New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bike Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
The Versys is a great bike! I've got a 2015. Lots of fun on road and off.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
Congratulations! I just a week ago or so picked up a new bike myself, a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300. It's been a revelation after a lifetime of cruisers. Hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I'm enjoying mine.

That must have been a big surprise in handling compared to a cruiser, especially acceleration and braking.

A very pleasant surprise, yes. I'd taken a couple test rides on one, but it really isn't until you own one (nine days of ownership now!) and experience a three-, four-hour ride on one that you can really appreciate the difference.

The bells and whistles are nice, too...grip warmers in Washington State's 50-degree'ish April weather? Genuis! Smile

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys!

I'm pretty stoked. I am scheduling a course tomorrow - hopefully for a weekend towards the end of this month. I'll stay out of traffic for a bit after to get used to things again.

I am currently evaluating helmets, jackets, etc. It's hot here most of the time, so something light, but with armor, is in order. I am thinking if it has a liner it will work for cooler mornings. I can always wear a sweatshirt. Thanks again - see you out there soon!

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

What accessories work for you? I may need to extend the mirrors. I am a bit on the big side - haha.

The seat and pegs seem fine to me. I'll know more after a 100 mile ride.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Just sold a 2012 recently, the Versys 650 is one of the best bikes on the market.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats, my dad just bought a 2017 Vulcan S ABS, same engine as the Versys.

As far as helmets, my dad has 2 Shoei helmets an older RF1100 & a new RF1200 with a transitions visor. Quite lightweight helmets. He mentioned that he gives a slight edge to the 1100 for the visor vent function, but it's a 2010, so he upgraded.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

What accessories work for you? I may need to extend the mirrors. I am a bit on the big side - haha.

The seat and pegs seem fine to me. I'll know more after a 100 mile ride.

I find the mirrors just fine without extenders, but whatever works for you is what you need.

The front turn signals stick out far enough that when you drop the bike the turn signal will hit hard, which breaks the plastic fairing. Something like $180 for new plastic. So I replaced the front signals with micro LED signals that won't hit the ground. They're brighter, too. I used R&G Aero with a resistor kit to make them compatible. To replace the front signals you'll have to make a little plastic adapter plate and glue it in place on the fairing with super glue. Not too difficult at all.

I've put on crash bars which I think are necessary for any off-pavement riding, and a good idea even on-pavement. The lower engine casing is exposed in a slide, so the crash bars should prevent major engine damage. In a simple tip-over the foot peg, front turn signal, and handle bar end will hit the ground. But in a slide or if on an uneven trail the engine casing is vulnerable. Most V owners either install crash bars or frame sliders to protect the engine.

I replaced the windshield with a Madstad. The factory windshield worked ok for me until about 50mph, then I got some turbulence on the top of my helmet. The Madstad is a little bit larger and has a lot of adjustability. No more helmet buffet at any speed. It is a big improvement.

A frequent complaint with the V is the slight forward seat tilt which can cause ball crush against the fuel tank. I didn't like how much weight I was having to support with my arms. So I installed a small spacer under the front of the seat, raising it about 5/8". It is a lot more comfortable. The seat is the most complained about feature of the bike. There are several excellent aftermarket seats available, and even some DIY foam kits.

I added a radiator guard for off-pavement riding. The radiator is very exposed to stones being thrown up by the front tire.

I also installed a Fenda-Extenda on the front fender. It does an excellent job of keeping the water and dirt from spraying up. And, it has stayed secure even during water crossings, to my surprise.

Many complain about a rough engine at 2800 rpm. You can enrich the mixture which pretty much cures it. An easy fix. If your engine runs great when cold but then gets that rough patch when warmed up, it is too lean. Apparently the electronic fuel mapping is set for wide open throttle, which then makes it too lean at lower rpm and low throttle settings. Since I tend to not run at max throttle and high rpm very often, I've adjusted the mixture for more normal riding.

Many V650 owners have changed out the rear sprocket with one having fewer teeth. This reduces engine rpm at highway speeds by a bit, and changes the gear shift speeds a little bit. If you do any dirt roads or trail riding you won't want to make that change. If you do a lot of highway riding, you might prefer the mod.

There's a good forum at kawasakiversys.com.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thanks! I'll investigate some of this as I go. I doubt I'll get off road all that much. I mainly want to commute on occasion and take small trips out in the hill country.

I'll check out the forum too.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase