New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bike Login/Join 
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted
I have not ridden a bike in almost 9 years. I have missed it. Texas has nice weather 10, maybe 11, months out of the year. So, I found a new 2016 Versys 650 ABS at a local dealer for $1600 off MSRP. They threw in free delivery as well. I needed a bike that can handle a tall person. I've taken it around the neighborhood a few times and it is quite comfortable. Plenty of power too - I think it puts out about 70 hp according to what I have read. I need to take a course and get my M endorsement. That comes this month. Anyway, pics below!

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Smile
Two thumbs up and two rubber sides down.

That does look comfy. I've been getting my '05 1000RR out up her in Michigan's spring and as I close in on 50yrs, riding in the fetal position gets hard on the bad back and hips.
(But it does bring a Smile )
If only I had the money to add more, your bike looks a good choice.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks nice.

Just remember to keep your eyes on everybody! The weather finally warmed up here and bikes were on the road today. Here's what took place today... Had someone do a rolling stop and then proceed through an intersection. I had to stop, to keep from getting hit. And later another tried to go from the right lane through the left lane to get to the left turn lane, I happened to be in the left lane. I was coming up on him, when I noticed he was getting close to the centerline (no turn signal), so I backed out and braked. Good thing, cause he had no clue I was there and come right on over.

Stay safe!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice bike! Since you have not ridden in a while, you should see a big difference in the newer midweight bikes. They have been much improved.
And my fingers are crossed. Negotiating on a 2016 BMW S 1000 RX.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club!

Nice looking bike! I have essentially the same style (Sport Touring) in a Yamaha and find the riding position very comfortable. @ 66 years young, I enjoy riding every bit as much as I did at 16.

My daughter, grandson and I went on our inaugural Spring Ride yesterday. Maybe just a touch cool at 53°, but entirely ride-able especially considering a very bad case of Two Wheel Spring Fever.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
What's there not to like? Good for you.

Ride safe.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice bike! Welcome back to the wonderful world of two wheels. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice looking bike, well done!

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Good choice. I've always thought the Versys was a well thought out, versatile bike.

Have fun and be very careful,

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Love the flat black look. Congrats, have fun and stay safe out there.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Remember your invisible to cages and ride accordingly.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice! The Versys is a good all-around bike and with ABS it should be pretty forgiving. They have always been quite a value as well.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I just a week ago or so picked up a new bike myself, a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300. It's been a revelation after a lifetime of cruisers. Hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!
One of my mid life buys was as Yamaha TTR230 dirt bike so I could learn to ride. It has been a hoot as my son and I both have learned and continue to learn together (he on his Honda 50). The siren song of a street bike keeps calling and posts like this don't help.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Recently got myself a used First Gen Yamaha FZ1. Gotta say, it's pretty fun. Enjoy and be safe.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice bike.

Now, before you go play in traffic, find a large empty parking lot and practice slow riding, emergency braking, stop and go moves and counter steering.

You'll need to build up confidence. You're going to mix with idiots on four wheels who have no idea what they're doing in a car.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. The lifted brother of my 650R.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The MSF Experienced Rider Course would be a good next step.
You will remember a lot and learn a bunch of things you never knew.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Very nice, like the satin black look, it kinda has an angry bee/ant looking front end with those tall mirrors (not a criticism) should be a fun bike,

Since you are just getting back into the swing of things, the MSF course is a good idea, good to get refreshed and updated before you hit the road and it will grant you your M endorsement plus some insurance discounts.

If you have an HD dealer near you they have a course where they supply you the bike and training to get the endorsement, it's a good course MSF certified as well.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
Congratulations! I just a week ago or so picked up a new bike myself, a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300. It's been a revelation after a lifetime of cruisers. Hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I'm enjoying mine.

That must have been a big surprise in handling compared to a cruiser, especially acceleration and braking.

Protein anchor: Nice bike! Also, nice clean garage!

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post