SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Need A New Cable Modem - What Can You Guys Recommend?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need A New Cable Modem - What Can You Guys Recommend? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Old one is not getting me the speeds I'm supposed to be getting from Comcast now ("up to 150 Mbps", getting only like 1/3 that at best) and I want to replace it. I think it's a Motorola SB1621, maybe 7-8 years old.

What can the forum recommend for a new one? Did Motorola get out of the modem business? All I see now are Arris brand which look like my old Motorola, and Netgear?

Thanks!

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We just picked up a new arris Surfboard 8200 model line that is Docsis 3.1 compliant. If you go to their website the have a list of compatible modems. Works well.

Don’t have exact model will look later when Home.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I use this one and am getting 120MB/s consistently.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Check out the pricing on TP-Link modems.
Have 2 family members using them. no issues.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I just bought THIS one, along with THIS router. Combo is working great.

If you have gigabit speed available, upgrade to THIS one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have really hi speed internet from Xfinity and discovered I needed a new cable modem for that speed. Just bought this one so that I could achieve the download speeds for which I'm paying:

Link from Newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product...Item=N82E16825124028

I bought this router some time ago, and they pair really well:
https://www.newegg.com/Product...?Item=9SIA2F83373591

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cable installer told me not to buy/rent anything from his company and recommended the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900AC. I’ve been very happy with it.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Most if not all the time, you're better off buying your modem outright rather than leasing from the cable company; break even period is usually about 6 or 7 months, depending on how much you paid for the modem.

quote:
Originally posted by choang3:
My cable installer told me not to buy/rent anything from his company and recommended the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900AC. I’ve been very happy with it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Most if not all the time, you're better off buying your modem outright rather than leasing from the cable company; break even period is usually about 6 or 7 months, depending on how much you paid for the modem.

quote:
Originally posted by choang3:

I used to buy them too - but this last go 'round with the cable company, the tech told me they (Charter) now supplies the cable modem without any additional fees. I got a new, upgraded cable modem (Motorola) N/C and no additional fees on my bill.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Motorola Model MG 7310 8X4 DOCSIS 3.0 plus N300 router. Bought mine on Amazon about 1 1/2 years ago it has been flawless. I think it was about $90.00 if I recall correctly. I have no trouble getting upwards of 200 Mbps from my Spectrum internet. Right now I am showing 217 D/L and 23.5 U/L. I am only guaranteed 200 U/L.

I am fairly certain it is on Comcast's approved list.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comcast has an approved list. It would be a big mistake, both from technical aspects to ongoing support, to stray from their list. Plenty of models on it. If you need a WiFi Router built in, expect to spend $169-189 and break even in 17 months.

I am happy with the Arris SBG 7580 AC I bought on Amazon

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No, I’ve never rented a modem from Comcast and never will.

My FIL has their gateway modem/router combo and pays $11 a month just for that and when I tried to show him how he’d break even in about a year then not have that fee anymore if he just bought his own modem and router, he wasn’t interested. His reasoning was when the gateway gets fried or breaks, it’s on Comcast to send him a new one.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Bumping this thread as I plan to go and pick up a new cable modem and router from Micro Center this weekend and wanted to see if there were any other brands or models I should look at?

I'm *supposed* to be getting *up to* 150 Mbps from Comcast, but regularly am barely getting 40-50 Mbps these days.

Right now I'm thinking these two which fit my budget:

TP-LINK TC-7620 DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem

-Compatible with cable internet plans up to 300Mbps*
-Compatible with major cable ISPs, including XFINITY from Comcast, Cox Communications, Spectrum and more.
-Eliminate monthly rental fees
-Channel bonding of up to 16 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels provide data rates up to 680 Mbps for downstream, and 143 Mbps for upstream
-CableLabs Certified® DOCSIS 3.0 technology delivers speeds 16x faster than DOCSIS 2.0
Gigabit port ensures ultimate fast transfer speeds
-IPv4 and IPv6 dual stack
-Quick and hassle free installation

https://www.tp-link.com/us/pro...at-5513_TC-7620.html

ASUS RT-AC1200 Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Router

-Super-fast concurrent dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi at up to 1167 Mbps
-Improved coverage and multi-device performance with four external 5dBi antennas — two each for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands
-USB 2.0 port supports AiPlayer for music streaming
-Help your children stay safe online with Parental Control

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC1200/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
ASUS RT-AC1200 Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Router

-Super-fast concurrent dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi at up to 1167 Mbps
-Improved coverage and multi-device performance with four external 5dBi antennas — two each for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands
-USB 2.0 port supports AiPlayer for music streaming
-Help your children stay safe online with Parental Control

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC1200/

For a similar price, the TP-link archer C7 gets rave reviews. I have 3 old Asus RT-N16s that have been workhorses, but I like the TP-link factory firmware better.
Archer C7

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Old one is not getting me the speeds I'm supposed to be getting from Comcast now ("up to 150 Mbps", getting only like 1/3 that at best) and I want to replace it. I think it's a Motorola SB1621, maybe 7-8 years old.

What can the forum recommend for a new one? Did Motorola get out of the modem business? All I see now are Arris brand which look like my old Motorola, and Netgear?

Thanks!

Your ISP should have a list of ones that are allowed. But, you can't go wrong with an SB6183. Avoid models with the Puma6 chipset.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2267 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK ... I'll pay devils advocate for a second.

I'm paying for 200mb service (I think) from spectrum. We're typically getting 65mb down, which I'm pretty sure is because my modem (which I own) is at least 5-6 years old (I don't know the model off the top of my head, and I'm at work).

I was going to buy a new modem, but then I thought ... when was the last time I had to wait on the internet? Never! We don't have a 4K TV to stream content to and we've never had any movies buffer or stutter. the 65Mb is fast enough for my wife and me.

This is the same reason I haven't switched to the 1gig ATT service that is available for only $10 more per month. (that and the fact that i don't want a new trench dug in our yard).

The 200Mb we are paying for is the lowest tier offered.

So ... no new modem for me (at least until we get a 4K TV and NEED more speed).

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post