SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pine sap and dog fur. Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pine sap and dog fur. Help! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Here I am, asking for advice again. My black Lab (aka Boogerhead the Wondermutt) greeted me at the gate when I got home today as she always does... but today she came equipped with a glob of sap and pine needles the size of a good pancake stuck on her hip.

I picked the major glob off by hand, and then had to go hit a liberal dose of Rem Oil to get the sap off of my hands. The remaining goo is still in her fur, and I'm asking for recommendations for getting it out before I end up with it everywhere else.

Thanks, SF!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the dog. But it does not come off humans easily. I braced myself on a pine tree while dropping a deuce one time. Then the wipe with that hand. It took about 4 days of scrubbing in the shower to get rid of it.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
De-Solv-It should do the trick. I’ve used smooth peanut butter for small stuff but for big jobs, I prefer the good stuff. Available at WalMart.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
WD40 is good for removing sticky residue, but I don’t know if the dog can handle it. You might just have to cut it out and let the hair grow back.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing peanut butter (warmed with a hair dryer after application), and dawn dish soap as a couple of possible safe options. Keep in mind that dog's skin is more sensitive than human's - at least that's what I've read.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pine sap and dog fur.

http://ontariospca.ca/blog/rem...e-sap-from-your-pet/

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Found this. Do not use petroleum.

"When faced with the sticky mess of tree sap in your dog's hair, don't reach for detergents and household cleaners. They might be effective, but they would also be harsh on delicate skin. Also, even though petroleum products that work as solvents and degreasers would make quick work of matted tree sap in a dog's hair, they're dangerous. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, petroleum and petroleum-based products are poisonous to animals, "
https://www.cuteness.com/artic...ve-tree-sap-dog-hair

Consider calling your vet and a groomer.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd try a citrus based solvent like GooGone

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
WD40 is good for removing sticky residue, but I don’t know if the dog can handle it. You might just have to cut it out and let the hair grow back.

Excellent cleaner,I use it on my hands when nail polish remover wont remove stuff.
Smells nice also.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baby oil. Main ingredient is mineral oil. Won't hurt the dog and will slowly break up the sap as you work it through with your fingers. Last time I used it on my arm hair I didn't lose much hair. I also use it on auto paint to get sap and sticker goo off.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
leave it alone....dog will lick it or avoid as he sees fit....w/i a day it will harden and will sticking to other stuff

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!
On the basis of "what's on hand right now" and the articles referenced by side_shot and Icabod, I raided the pantry and grabbed olive oil.

Miss Booger managed to stand relatively still while I rubbed olive oil in. I didn't have a coarse comb, but a fine one and some patience did the job. She's now a little slick, but that's better than a whole lotta sticky!

Now, to find the dog shampoo and get the oil out. She'll probably reward me by rolling around under the pines again tomorrow. Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GF says Lemon Oil.
Dissolves the goo, should't hurt the dog's skin, and smells good.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thanks, all!
On the basis of "what's on hand right now" and the articles referenced by side_shot and Icabod, I raided the pantry and grabbed olive oil.

Miss Booger managed to stand relatively still while I rubbed olive oil in. I didn't have a coarse comb, but a fine one and some patience did the job. She's now a little slick, but that's better than a whole lotta sticky!

Now, to find the dog shampoo and get the oil out. She'll probably reward me by rolling around under the pines again tomorrow. Roll Eyes

you gotta love em my dog got the skunk twice lol

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post