SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum Pilots: How Did You Celebrate Your First Solo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum Pilots: How Did You Celebrate Your First Solo? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
The traditional ritual was to cut off some of the fledgling's tie or shirt tails.

I always thought that was sort of barbaric, and I saw no benefit in mutilating my student's clothing.

Instead, I would crack open a bottle of inexpensive champagne for my student, to be shared with whoever was around at the time.

How did you memorialize your first solo?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Besides having the back of my t-shirt cut out, nothing.

It was summer time, just after graduating high school. I wasn't old enough to really celebrate. Frown

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
landed without incident.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instructor took my picture (Polaroid) and added it to a board in the FBO. No scissors involved.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, what did you do to celebrate your solo? Shake hands with Orville and Wilbur? Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
V-Tail, what did you do to celebrate your solo? Shake hands with Orville and Wilbur? Big Grin

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

August 1964, Colts Neck NJ, C-150, N5990E.

It was sort of a non-event. A few of us in the Bell Labs Flying Club stopped at Molzone's after we left the airport. Nothing unusual about that.

Molzone's . . . A ramshackle wooden building that sort of leaned to the left. Concrete pads in front where the gas pumps used to be. Pool table with moguls. Faint odor of urine wafting through the place. Bartender with a hairy belly that stuck out through the hole in his T-shirt. Cheap beer and the best cheesburgers in Monmouth County! Good times.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I also had the back of my shirt cut off and mounted on the wall with my name, solo date, AC tail Number & type written on it.

The cut-out remained on the wall until I completed my first cross-country solo then it was returned.

34 years later and I still have it with the out of date gear I don't use but hang onto as a back up.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I got down on my hands and knees and kissed mother earth.

I shook hands with my instructor.

Then we flew back to the school's home aerodrome, Dulles International Airport.

Yes... the first part of my training was at Dulles. Most of the time there was done at night, including my first flight, while my solo was at night flying from Leesburg.

I finished at Manassas Airport.

Things have changed.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I was so excited that I almost accidentally lifted off again on the taxiway. But other than that, nothing.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
walked away happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

We had a member here tell us several years ago, I think it was JAllen, that his Examiner showed his original ticket signed by one of the Wright Brothers.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
We had a member here tell us several years ago, I think it was JAllen, that his Examiner showed his original ticket signed by one of the Wright Brothers.
Very possible. Wilbur died young, 1912, following a fall. Orville lived until 1948.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Nothing special here. My first flight was in a 1947 J3 and my first solo was a few months latter in the same plane.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I drank some champagne. Spilled it all over.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Nothing. Good job, thanks for not crashing the plane. Birchwood, AK, 2004.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Got doused with a lot of water right before entering the FBO, then received a first solo t-shirt with the A/C tail number on it.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Civilian solo was simply a "Congratulations!" and a hand shake from my instructor. Being only 15 at the time probably had something to do with that. Mom was a nervous wreck as she drove me home. Big Grin

Navy solo was celebrated at the O-Club on Friday afternoon with the rest of my class who'd soloed that week. We were told to buy cheap ties and wear them to the club, so our class bought some really outlandish ties to wear with our flight suits. My on-wing instructor was really new and I was his first student to solo, so I got to cut the belt off of his khakis and was allowed to tell one story about him being an instructor. He then cut off my tie and told a story or two about me. After all the ties were cut and stories told, our instructors bought us our next beer. It was a really good time, and I still have the stub of a tie and half his belt as a reminder.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Had the back of my shirt cut off (one that I specifically wore for the occasion as it had my college mascot on it and "BEER ME!" in large print). The instructor wrote an original witty verse on it with my name and the date and it got stapled on the hangar wall.

I changed shirts, went in, took care of the paperwork, went home, and then had a beer...or more...with my friends.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post